Should it have stood?

Here's the law as per the FA website ...

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
The emboldened text is the key part for this instance and I don't think he was offside in this case unless it clipped his heel, which I thought it did at first but haven't looked at since as it doesn't really matter now.

However what's the first thing we're all taught as kids? "Play to the whistle". We didn't and everyone stopped.

I think the VAR official would probably of found it necessary to disallow the "goal" if it had been a similar City goal,in fact it wouldnt of gone to var as the ref would of whistled at the same time as the linesman put his flag up
Imagine Jesus miles offside dummys the ball to Sterling who has just tripped the defender,its just never going to be a goal Uefa approve of

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.