Should Lescott get a new contract?

Undecided ......

His present contract expires in August next year , by which time he'll be 32 years old , so it's a tricky one.

Right now there's no doubt that we are struggling for central defenders with Kompany and Demichelis both out , and Nastasic only just returned from injury , so we can ill afford to lose Lescott at this moment in time ..... and i suppose it could depend on when talks over any new contract actually take place.

If we do offer him one it would surely only be for another 2 years 'tops' anyway , as 32 year old Demichelis has accepted in his own deal .....

but if the new contract situation has already arisen through definite talks , then the club are gonna have to decide one way or the other , because i doubt if the player will hang around for long .

FantasyIreland said:
No,hopefully the EDS can provide one or two,I am including Rekik.

If not,in 12 months we need to purchase a top class replacement.

If there isn't a clear replacement in the next but one window then we might be in a queerer street than the one we are in at the moment. If Joleoninho ends up just squadding and warming the bench he might have to take a fair slice of his wadge!

HolisticJim said:
TGR said:
Lescott is nowhere near as bad as some posters on here make him out to be. Should he have a new contract? If we can re-negotiate his salary then yes. I think this would be more than possible as I don't think too many other clubs will be prepared to pay him what we pay him now. As we know from this season we need all of the experienced central defenders we can get - just in case.

This! How we go from him being half of a premiership winning defence to a 'lets give him away cause he's shit' is beyond me.
People say he's getting old and yet some of the biggest clubs in the world have 34-37 year old CB's.
Of course he should get a new contract, fair enough not on another insane salary but from what you see when he's discussing it with Micah in the behind the scenes vids on the OS and what he says is the press, he is ok with this.

Honestly, some people thing because he's not Italian or Spanish that he's shit when the reality is that despite his limitations is an excellent player who is loyal and doesn't sit whining when he doesn't get a game.

Give him a break!
Agree with the general sentiment here. Reduced salary then get him on the books for another year or 2, we let an experienced head in Kolo go who had some great games last season for us and now he looks solid for Liverpool.
I wouldn't expect him to start, but he's more than capable of stepping in and he will get games with our 50+ a season. Also seems like a great guy to have around.

Depends on whether or not he's willing to accept a lower contract and a "backup" role. I think we need 6 centre halfs (and not just players that can play there like richards/garcia etc) It's a position that's too important and very easy to pick up injuries and/or suspension. Would be happy next season with Nasty Rekik Lescott for the left side Kompan (new young-ish centre back) Demichelis for the right side. It's a shame for him he's left footed, with Rekik coming through and Nasty too both being left footed it's probably unlikely he'll be used much next season, would be far more likely of getting an extension if he was right footed and willing to play backup for Kompany.

I think he is a very solid defender but I don't think he should get a new deal! His wages are way to high and there is no way he will take a large pay cut on what will probably be his last big contract. I think he is better currently then Rekik but the difference in wages between the two, the fact that Rekik will be home grown and the age difference means that it would make more since to use Rekik next year and release Lescott.

I'd defo like to see him stay. People forget he was part of the side that won us the league.

I don't think he should be in next seasons squad. We only have room for him or Nastasic IMO. And Nastasic is the obvious choice. We saw how he struggled playing on the right side against Hull and constantly tried to switch the ball from his right to his left foot which resulted in some awkward passes. Not to mention when their forward ran through him because he couldn't tackle with his right foot. Having both Nasti and Lescott limits our options at the back. Speaks volumes when even with those 2 proven PL CB's fit, people are talking about either Garcia or Richards coming in for Lescott against Stoke.

The only downside would be that City would be gifting another club a decent CB for free to do a job for them for the next 2-3 years. See Kolo to Liverpool.

BlueCityfan said:
I don't think he should be in next seasons squad. We only have room for him or Nastasic IMO. And Nastasic is the obvious choice. We saw how he struggled playing on the right side against Hull and constantly tried to switch the ball from his right to his left foot which resulted in some awkward passes. Not to mention when their forward ran through him because he couldn't tackle with his right foot. Having both Nasti and Lescott limits our options at the back. Speaks volumes when even with those 2 proven PL CB's fit, people are talking about either Garcia or Richards coming in for Lescott against Stoke.

The only downside would be that City would be gifting another club a decent CB for free to do a job for them for the next 2-3 years. See Kolo to Liverpool.

I thought Kolo was too good to let go .....

as for Lescott , if he fails to get assurances of a new deal from City , it wouldn't surprise me if he returns to the midlands , from where he sprang from.

Not for me.

I don't care about what they get paid, it's whether they are still good enough and for me he isn't. He had a poor season last season and has started this one looking shaky. Without Kompany alongside him he is fairly average in my opinion, not quick enough and poor on the ball.

I think we have dropped a bollock not signing a top class CB. Nastasic shouldn't be an automatic starter at his age despite him being very promising and the back up isn't at a high enough standard. Pepe would have been a good signing particularly for Europe.

I look now at the side B Munich have put together and for me we are some way off that level. I think until we address this and find a top class defensive midfielder, the Champions league, which seems important to the owners, is some way off.

Time will tell.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.