Should we be worried about our ageing squad?

ATXMCFan said:
No worries ... Nacho for the Beast,
Huws, Zuculini, and Lopes all look very good
The kid we loaned to Celtic looks like a good future first team player as well

arent the EDS fullbacks great prospects too? A decent loan next season or the season after that and they can possibly come in for sagna and kolarov/clichy

Yep, that's what I do, fuck enjoying what's happening in front of me on the pitch and surrounding areas, I spend my time worrying that we have an aging squad. Even though we don't.

Not overly concerned, but I'd rather Vinny, Silva, Zabaleta and Yaya were 25 than 29+, so at some point there will have to be a plan for how we are going to replace the irreplaceable. I think we will need to focus on bringing the average age down and perhaps making a few stellar signings in key areas over the next few seasons who can fill the shoes of the players mentioned above.

Really it's hard to imagine a time when the above players won't be at City.

Not worried but we should be conscious of it in future transfer windows. I would like to think that our next few signings are 26 or under

We have the oldest squad in the Premier League according to this.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-oldest-squad-premier-7740362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... er-7740362</a>

With so many key players at their peak, I'm sure we will be looking at the age profile of our squad in coming transfer windows. Signing Mangala at 23 is a good start.

One other thought is that this team needs to win a couple more titles (and maybe a Champions League) while they are together to be considered one of the great teams. Retaining it this year would be our finest achievement to date IMO.

Silva, Aguero, Kompay, Nasri and Dzeko all have signed long term contracts. Kolorov has a 3 year deal as well. I don't think this a coincidence, but a plan by Txiki and Soriano. These players are in their mid to late 20's and by the end of their contracts will be in their 30's. Younger players will be bought in the coming years just like Mangala. All players age and someday they will no longer be a good as their old self. The young blood will be blended into the team and these older players can become quality backups when the time comes.

The 5 year contracts is also a way to deal with FFP. We don't constantly need to worry about paying transfer fees needlessly on players every transfer window knowing we have them tied down. We know we're set in these positions for a while and just concentrate on getting the younger ones in for now. If any club wants to come in and get one of our players, they'll be looking at a hefty transfer fee as well as taking on their long term contract.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.