Sick and Tired of the City Spending Critics

Eventually when the next (huge) wave of City supporting glory hunters emerge in 10 years time, the tunes of the media will have changed.

They are not offended by it. After all the USA is the biggest oil producer in the world but they know it annoys City fans and that is all that matters.
'Dirty oil money' is a spurious argument. It's all about money per se. At the moment we have access to more of it than most other clubs - and we use it well. That's what riles them. Bunch of snarky, snidey tw*ts.

Why don't we spunk millions stay in debt and win nothing like the rest of them would that make them happy?

But we have spent a lot of money so the conversation about it will never go away. And that's fine if people want to point that out. We shouldn't be ashamed that our club has an owner willing to invest in the club and back the manager in signing the players he wants. If they want to be bitter about it then let them. We will carry on being the well run club we are and continue investing what is necessary to reach our goals.

I’m quite bullish whenever rival fans cite how much money we have spent. There are no poor teams in the premier league; the differentiator for me is they don’t all have the same attraction for world class players as those deemed to be in ‘the big six’.

What other clubs do with vast the amounts of money they make from TV and other sponsors is entirely up to them; i quite happily point out that if they want to take is as dividends then that’s their business.

But I also make the point that it’s not City’s fault if they choose to do that. Our owners choose to invest in the staff and squad and we’ve reaped the benefits.

Years ago I was debating City’s ascendancy with my rag brother in law. He made the point that City winning the league in 2012 did them a favour as it forced utd to go all out for Van Persie. We discussed the last time that they’d bought a world class player before then and he thought it was Van nistlrooy in 2001.

He then made the comment “that’s the difference between Arabs and Yanks. Arabs spend their money whilst Yanks will only do it if they have to”.

And for me, that’s why our club is so detested by the hateful 8 because they’re forced to spend when they don’t want to - if they want to compete

Last edited:
This discussion always stops when everyone realises that pretty much every season the league is won by the team that spent the most the previous summer. It then becomes a discussion about the 'sort' of money, human rights in far off lands and ffp before going back to the beginning and starting again.

I am utterly fed up of the pundits that constantly refer to the amount of money City spend and the fact we have an "expensive" bench.

Yes we have bought great players but, were they playing at the level an standard they are currently at City, before we purchased them? I venture to suggest not.

Players like Gundogan, Bernardo, Ederson, Diaz, Rodri, were in my opinion good players but Pep has turned them into fantastic players who are the envy of all our opponents. I don't think we have gone out to attract and sign world beaters (and to this end I hope we don't chase Messi... he was world class, he is brilliant but he is not the future).

In summary, I think all our purchases have been of good players and City and Pep has made them great and the envy of everyone else.

So please all you pundits out there that read this forum, realise that we are making good players great and we do NOT pay record fees for any positions!

RANT OVER!!
United have spent more than us in the last 12 years. I read something somewhere to the effect that we're the 8th highest spenders in recent transfer windows - not sure between which years.

Even with loads of money it still takes great scouting to find the right players with the right attitude. Then you need a great manager to get the best out of the players. And then you need intelligent owners to put all the pieces in place and make sure the ship runs smoothly. There are plenty of examples of teams throwing money at problems and coming unstuck. I think you will find with City the narrative will always involve some mention of money because our owner is one of the richest men in the world. But I agree with us City fans its unfair because the club has been very successful and players purchased in the main have been excellent. If player acquisition hadn't been good our bench would resemble the Billy Smart circus bench over at the swamp.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.