Silva injured now?

BillyShears said:
Marvin said:
I liked the way Mancini played. There was nothing wrong with his tactics, just his relationship with players? Wish we'd go back to the way we used to play. We know it works for our players

I find that to be quite a simplistic viewpoint Marv. At times we played some scintillating stuff under Mancini, particularly early in the 11/12 season, however it didn't last. Far too often we saw performances that were more like our recent match against Hull, in terms of us toiling away without really creating too much, yet still coming out on top because of the sheer quality in our side.

Silva's injury won't IMO lead to a change in system, it will just give other players an opportunity to stake their claim for a starting berth.

It's also worth baring in mind that so far Pellegrini hasn't changed the shape of the team. We played 4222 under Mancini, and we have played the same shape more or less under Pellegrini so far. The difference is in Navas playing more like a winger from the right and Silva drifting in from the left rather than Silva and Nasri both drifting in field as we saw many times last season.
Sophistry! You are playing with word or formations. We are far more open now. Tevez started most games last season. Nominally he was a forward but he did a lot of work deep in midfield. Navas has played every game wide out on the right. At home to Newcastle he repeatedly ran his full back and it worked. At home to Hull, he didn't try to beat his man so it was a sacrifice for no reward.

Under mancini we always bossed games. We may have struggled to break teams down. But It was nearly always a case of if and when we would score and the opposition would get one or two chances a game. This season, it's been very different. Cardiff and Hull were well in those games.

If we continue to give chances to our opponents to this degree we will fall apart. Pellegrini has to change what he's doing<br /><br />-- Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:21 pm --<br /><br />
AlvaLazuardy said:
just worried the injury will last longer, we don't know what will happen in upcoming days, worst? 1 weeks or more, but hope my prediction wrong, get well soon silva.
The reports say he has had a scan and scan picked up damage even though it was minor. 7-10 days is the very best scenario so that means he's very likely to miss the Stoke and and European games but may make the Utd match

I don't think it's as big a blow as it was last season as in Pellegrini's current formation he is not the main man around which all revolves.

Marvin said:
Pellegrini has to change what he's doing

No he doesn't - the players have to adapt - which they will.

We are more open so far - but even a casual football watcher can see that this is in large part due to a makeshift centre back pairing which has changed three different times for the three league games we've played so far. Our formation is the same as last season, yet you've said repeatedly that Pellegrini's changed formations. He hasn't, our style of play is evolving to one with a higher tempo, a higher press, and a higher defensive line. But so far no change in formation.

You also seem to think that Navas is a problem, which couldn't be further from the truth. Navas is going to be our most dangerous attacking asset this season - yes even more so than Silva. Particularly in the CL and in big games against our direct rivals, where there will be more space for our attacking players.

Marvin said:
The reports say he has had a scan and scan picked up damage even though it was minor. 7-10 days is the very best scenario so that means he's very likely to miss the Stoke and and European games but may make the Utd match

I don't think it's as big a blow as it was last season as in Pellegrini's current formation he is not the main man around which all revolves.

cheers marv..
ya i also hope the same thing.. but maybe he start from the bench for derby
i want see jovetic for derby, i think he can give us something different, i only once see him playing with our shirt in Munich when we won against milan.

BillyShears said:
Marvin said:
Pellegrini has to change what he's doing

No he doesn't - the players have to adapt - which they will.

We are more open so far - but even a casual football watcher can see that this is in large part due to a makeshift centre back pairing which has changed three different times for the three league games we've played so far. Our formation is the same as last season, yet you've said repeatedly that Pellegrini's changed formations. He hasn't, our style of play is evolving to one with a higher tempo, a higher press, and a higher defensive line. But so far no change in formation.

You also seem to think that Navas is a problem, which couldn't be further from the truth. Navas is going to be our most dangerous attacking asset this season - yes even more so than Silva. Particularly in the CL and in big games against our direct rivals, where there will be more space for our attacking players.
The makeshift centre-back pairing has absolutely nothing to do with how open we are. All it means is that when we are attacked we are more vulnerable and against Hull, Lescott was useless at bringing the ball out of defence as he couldn't play with the ball on his right foot

I am not convinced by Navas. He was brilliant against Newcastle, but pretty useless against Cardiff and Hull. I'd use him as we used AJ. As an option and a game-changer.

The formation has changed because instead of having 4 central midfielders, Tevez half and half and Aguero up top, we now have two out and out strikers, Navas out wide. We've gone from having 5 in midfield to 3 and that means the likes of Silva can't play his give and go, and it means that when we lose the ball high up the pitch, teams can just break on us and get straight into the heart of our defence

I see changes in the marking systems, tempo and pressing game. I like the latter two, but you'll never get Yaya Toure to press. That's why Toure left Barca. That and the emergence of Busquets. You cannot get a huge man like that to quickly close down opponents as soon as you lose the ball

Of course I agree that to an extent the players will get better in the new set-up, but I think we'd be far better off employing the new players in Mancini's narrow system, with Navas used as a variation. if he starts, it's imperative that we only have one up top, otherwise we will be wide open.

Utd tried at the start of last season to play Kagawa and wingers and it didn't work. They abandoned it. Pellegrini will have to abandon it too. if he keeps faith with it, we will be out of the title race before you know it.

Our players have gone from near invincible in the 2011/12 season to getting groin/hamstring/calf injuries making their breakfast since. It's like we used up all our injury luck in our title winning season. Probably a coincidence but our injury record has gone downhill since Mancini had Dr. Batty sacked because he didn't like him.

LoveCity said:
Our players have gone from near invincible in the 2011/12 season to getting groin/hamstring/calf injuries making their breakfast since. It's like we used up all our injury luck in our title winning season. Probably a coincidence but our injury record has gone downhill since Mancini had Dr. Batty sacked because he didn't like him.
When we were at our best, it wouldn't have mattered too much who played in central defence against Cardiff or Hull because we'd have dominated the ball to such a degree, the opposition could not hurt us. Now we are wide open. So now we need top class defenders and we feel the vulnerability

It's a chance for Nasri to step up to the plate and prove he can become the player his immense talent suggests he can be.

Also could this be the opportunity for Jovetic to make his competitive debut? The best 30 minutes I've seen from us in recent times was when he played against Milan in pre-season and I have a feeling he could be our most crucial signing of the summer.

Marvin said:
The makeshift centre-back pairing has absolutely nothing to do with how open we are. All it means is that when we are attacked we are more vulnerable and against Hull, Lescott was useless at bringing the ball out of defence as he couldn't play with the ball on his right foot

That whole paragraph is completely illogical. Makes zero sense to me. Sorry.

I am not convinced by Navas. He was brilliant against Newcastle, but pretty useless against Cardiff and Hull. I'd use him as we used AJ. As an option and a game-changer.

Another terribly weak and knee jerk comment to make. He won't be used like AJ so you should get used to him being in the team almost every week. He's that good.

The formation has changed because instead of having 4 central midfielders, Tevez half and half and Aguero up top, we now have two out and out strikers, Navas out wide. We've gone from having 5 in midfield to 3 and that means the likes of Silva can't play his give and go, and it means that when we lose the ball high up the pitch, teams can just break on us and get straight into the heart of our defence

Wrong again. When you say we used 4 central midfield players, I presume you're referring to Silva/Nasri drifting inside. How many games did Tevez start in our title winning season? Could you tell me who make this mythical fifth midfield player in that season. Every reading you have of how things unfolded last season or the season before in comparison to the three games we've played this season is just wrong.

I see changes in the marking systems, tempo and pressing game. I like the latter two, but you'll never get Yaya Toure to press. That's why Toure left Barca. That and the emergence of Busquets. You cannot get a huge man like that to quickly close down opponents as soon as you lose the ball

More wrongs. Saying Yaya is incapable of pressing is like saying Silva is incapable of running. He didn't leave Barca because he couldn't press. He left because City made him a fantastic offer which meant regular football - whereas at Barca he was behind Busquets, not because Busquets is the better player, but because Busquets is a Catalonian and came through their ranks. Guardiola is on record as saying he never wanted Yaya to leave and tried to convince him to stay.

Of course I agree that to an extent the players will get better in the new set-up, but I think we'd be far better off employing the new players in Mancini's narrow system, with Navas used as a variation. if he starts, it's imperative that we only have one up top, otherwise we will be wide open.

Never going to happen so it's pointless repeating it. Managers don't use the previous managers methods, because if the previous managers methods were so effective those managers wouldn't have been sacked.

Utd tried at the start of last season to play Kagawa and wingers and it didn't work. They abandoned it. Pellegrini will have to abandon it too. if he keeps faith with it, we will be out of the title race before you know it.

You're on drugs if you think Pellegrini is going abandon his footballing ideas having been at City for two months and having played only 3 competitive games.

Dribble said:
It's a chance for Nasri to step up to the plate and prove he can become the player his immense talent suggests he can be.

Also could this be the opportunity for Jovetic to make his competitive debut? The best 30 minutes I've seen from us in recent times was when he played against Milan in pre-season and I have a feeling he could be our most crucial signing of the summer.
I agree with that

Jovetic is a different type of forward to Tevez, but shares one similarity - the link between midfield and attack. He'll instantly link up with Silva and could knit our midfield together.

nasri might suit our current midfield better than Silva as he is better running with the ball at his feet. There's going to be a lot less pass pass pass if we stick with what we are doing.

Silva is wasted on the left wing. Jovetic should be more effective there. Silva should be played centrally.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.