Silva

johnmc said:
blinkblue said:
johnmc said:
Nirvana defined a generation? No chance. Since when was grunge a major event in music. Nirvana had 5 or 6 great songs. That doesn't make them a grey band and doesn't define generations. How many albums did they make?

And foo fighters? Dont make me laugh.

Nirvana have contributed more to music than pretty much every band in the past 22 years.

And the Foo Fighters are currently one of the biggest bands on the planet and have headlined every major festival and sold out Wembley. Don't see what's funny about them John.

Please explain what Nirvana have contributed to Music. And explain how they defined a generation. I was at high school when they were out. Maybe 2 people liked them. It's funny how they went from being good to being great after he shot himself. No doubt we will be seeing similar comments about Amy Winehouse soon. Truth is they were talent and produced a couple of classic tracks but in respect of defining a generation well that generation must have passed me by and must have been filled with miserable fookers who would never have been happy. Nirvana did not define jack.

As for Foo fighters. They sell out 3 gigs in the uk? So that means what. Can I remind you take that sold our ground out ten times over. Bon Jovi sold out wembley arena ten times over. Are we judging bands by ticket sales because if so Foo Fighters dont win that competition.

Can I just ask your age out of interest?

Nevermind changed the course of popular culture at the time, they pioneered a genre, have been sited by countless bands since as a main inspiration. They contributed a lot to the industry. And I never claimed they defined a generation mate, I just think they were an important band.

I don't really see what your point is on the Foo's, I never claimed they were anything but one of the biggest bands currently active in the world today, which they are.

I don't see what my age has to do with anything.

blinkblue said:
Nevermind changed the course of popular culture at the time, they pioneered a genre, have been sited by countless bands since as a main inspiration. They contributed a lot to the industry. And I never claimed they defined a generation mate, I just think they were an important band.

I don't really see what your point is on the Foo's, I never claimed they were anything but one of the biggest bands currently active in the world today, which they are.

I disagree. I dont see how it changed anything. They pioneered a genre - I will possibly give you that but how many bands were in that genre (I presume you are talking grunge), how long did it last, how many great bands did it produce - personally at the time I preferred Pearl Jam's Ten to Nirvana, although I concede Nevermind has stood the test of time better. However Nevermind may be a classic album but its is pretty much the sum of Nirvana's work. The Bleach album (i think thats what it is called) is poor. In Utero is decent.

Foo Fighters may well be one of the biggest bands about, I was just showing how biggest rarely means best.

I asked your age as I am just interest what age you were when Nirvan were about, and whether you like Nirvana retrospectively. If you are shy about it then dont tell me, thats fine. Not important really.

johnmc said:
blinkblue said:

I disagree. I dont see how it changed anything. They pioneered a genre - I will possibly give you that but how many bands were in that genre (I presume you are talking grunge), how long did it last, how many great bands did it produce - personally at the time I preferred Pearl Jam's Ten to Nirvana, although I concede Nevermind has stood the test of time better. However Nevermind may be a classic album but its is pretty much the sum of Nirvana's work. The Bleach album (i think thats what it is called) is poor. In Utero is decent.

Foo Fighters may well be one of the biggest bands about, I was just showing how biggest rarely means best.

I asked your age as I am just interest what age you were when Nirvan were about, and whether you like Nirvana retrospectively. If you are shy about it then dont tell me, thats fine. Not important really.

I'm not shy about my age, just didn't see what it had to do with the debate. I'm 22 so I wasn't really at the age to witness Nirvana when the were most prominent. I'm not a big fan of either band but I just though you were a bit harsh with your comments on them.

blinkblue said:
I'm not shy about my age, just didn't see what it had to do with the debate. I'm 22 so I wasn't really at the age to witness Nirvana when the were most prominent. I'm not a big fan of either band but I just though you were a bit harsh with your comments on them.

I just thought the age thing was relevant as personally I believe Nirvana's perceived greatness has come about following Cobains death. Just wondered whether you thought they were great at the time or since. Not much releavnce was just interested.

As for Foo Fighters, in my opinion they are rubbish.

MCFC BOB said:
Aguero is my king said:
MCFC BOB said:
He was in Nirvana, and is currently in Foo Fighters.

Him:

sru6tmysnj46syj6.jpg

I don't know who Nirvana is and I can't ever recall listening to the foo fighters. I honestly doubt over 20% of people have a clue who this guy is.
What? You're bloody kidding.

Do you listen to music at all?
Foo Fighters are a poor band. Too much shouting and too many songs that are the same, with slow bits proceeded by big finishes. They're very predictable. I don't know the names of one other member of that band. The only reason I've heard if Grohl was because he was in Nirvarna, who I don't particularly like neither. Britpop - Oasis, Cast, The Verve, Ocean Colour Scene, Pulp etc... - was coined "Britpop" as an antetheis to the weird (although some tracks were good) grunge scene coming our of North America which the British music industry thought was a shite form of rock. And on the whole they were right and Britpop was brilliant compared to it!

danburge82 said:
MCFC BOB said:
Aguero is my king said:
I don't know who Nirvana is and I can't ever recall listening to the foo fighters. I honestly doubt over 20% of people have a clue who this guy is.
What? You're bloody kidding.

Do you listen to music at all?
Foo Fighters are a poor band. Too much shouting and too many songs that are the same, with slow bits proceeded by big finishes. They're very predictable. I don't know the names of one other member of that band. The only reason I've heard if Grohl was because he was in Nirvarna, who I don't particularly like neither. Britpop - Oasis, Cast, The Verve, Ocean Colour Scene, Pulp etc... - was coined "Britpop" as an antetheis to the weird (although some tracks were good) grunge scene coming our of North America which the British music industry thought was a shite form of rock. And on the whole they were right and Britpop was brilliant compared to it!

Christ, you just scuppered your argument with those three words.

My mate, 41 years old, huge Nirvana fan still, detests the Foos. He calls them "The Wings of the 90s"

(and 00s and 10s)

My intention wasn't to start a music debate.

Anyway found a photo of his tattoo:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/david-silva?before=1311553372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/david-silv ... 1311553372</a>

Hope this doesn't cause another debate.....

Aguero is my king said:
MCFC BOB said:
Aguero is my king said:
I've never heard of him I see no reason why most people would have a clue who that guy is.
He was in Nirvana, and is currently in Foo Fighters.

Him:

sru6tmysnj46syj6.jpg

these are the foo fighters. You must have heard it surely!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.