Singing Dunnes name was a .... disgrace...

He got applauded because we are impeccable, By and large we are still "proper" football fans, not petty minded tribal idiots. In the last few weeks we have seen Adebayor v Arsenal and instead of recognising the fact they made a 21 million profit and took at least three years of him at his prime, chose to abuse him mercilessly for wanting out of a club whose fans chose to boo week in week out. Weve played the filth, who despite openly chanting to their manager to sign him up, despite flooding phone ins and message boards declaring their love, for chose to try and coin him and boo him throughout the game with us. We've played Villa who chose to wave fake cash at, and incessantly boo a player from first touch to last despite this player giving 12 years to the Villa cause. I dare say Lescott will be in for a rough reception too. Dunne was "thanked" by City fans for his service, sure Barton didnt get the same but I find it astounding if any player could go back to an old stomping ground having beaten up another (albeit appaling) player and expect the red carpet.

He is another teams player, but that should never mean we forget his service, and those whose answer was "he was shit anyway" are either glory hunters or are displaying premature signs of the onset of alziehemers. We must never forget who we are and we must never plumb the depths of typical modern fan behavior. We are above that.

To me it goes without saying that any fan who pays their way is entitled to say or do whatever they want (within the remit of the law and common decency). That said, there is no way I could bring myself to sing for someone who's just scored against Man City... I just couldn't do it.

Unlike a few on here, I don't get that teary eyed for past players. I don't support the players, I support my club and on Monday night somebody cost us three points. The fact it was Richard Dunne is of little consequence to me, so why would I cheer him?

Dunne, in particular, was given quite a few chances at City, don't forget. He was paid handsomely and, in my opinion, it was completely the right time to move on, for both him and the club - we keep improving our team and he gets one more big contract before the end of his playing days. This sentimentality I just don't get.

But that's me.

In the Irish Times it says it was a wonderful gesture and that we showed Arsenal fans how to behave and how to applaud a former player.

bluemoonmatt said:
He got applauded because we are impeccable, By and large we are still "proper" football fans, not petty minded tribal idiots. In the last few weeks we have seen Adebayor v Arsenal and instead of recognising the fact they made a 21 million profit and took at least three years of him at his prime, chose to abuse him mercilessly for wanting out of a club whose fans chose to boo week in week out. Weve played the filth, who despite openly chanting to their manager to sign him up, despite flooding phone ins and message boards declaring their love, for chose to try and coin him and boo him throughout the game with us. We've played Villa who chose to wave fake cash at, and incessantly boo a player from first touch to last despite this player giving 12 years to the Villa cause. I dare say Lescott will be in for a rough reception too. Dunne was "thanked" by City fans for his service, sure Barton didnt get the same but I find it astounding if any player could go back to an old stomping ground having beaten up another (albeit appaling) player and expect the red carpet.

He is another teams player, but that should never mean we forget his service, and those whose answer was "he was shit anyway" are either glory hunters or are displaying premature signs of the onset of alziehemers. We must never forget who we are and we must never plumb the depths of typical modern fan behavior. We are above that.

Matt, lots of us are above that but sadly not all.

The owners have displayed a lot of class since the takeover and us fans should try and do the same.

I clapped Dunney before he scored and just after. I was applauding him for not having a histrionic, false, kiss-the-badge moment but for remaining repectful after he put us behind.

Too many on here think that the more rabid your post; the bigger fan you are.

I think they clapped the fact he did not 'celebrate' (like the West Ham fans with Tevez) that is all. Calm down.

Wooderbeen said:
To me it goes without saying that any fan who pays their way is entitled to say or do whatever they want (within the remit of the law and common decency). That said, there is no way I could bring myself to sing for someone who's just scored against Man City... I just couldn't do it.

Unlike a few on here, I don't get that teary eyed for past players. I don't support the players, I support my club and on Monday night somebody cost us three points. The fact it was Richard Dunne is of little consequence to me, so why would I cheer him?

Dunne, in particular, was given quite a few chances at City, don't forget. He was paid handsomely and, in my opinion, it was completely the right time to move on, for both him and the club - we keep improving our team and he gets one more big contract before the end of his playing days. This sentimentality I just don't get.

But that's me.

I agree mate (on some points). Fans are entitled, within reason, to applaud Dunney. They did. I was among them but I feel he was due some recognition for past service when he was a rock and was everyone's Player of the Year. Not everyone on here can deny they voted for him surely?

He was limited but he was ours and he stood by us (the wage is immaterial mate, to be honest, as they all earn fortunes) but it was the right time to go.

Peace, brother.

Dave Fabulous said:
Wooderbeen said:

But that's me.

I agree mate (on some points). Fans are entitled, within reason, to applaud Dunney. They did. I was among them but I feel he was due some recognition for past service when he was a rock and was everyone's Player of the Year. Not everyone on here can deny they voted for him surely?

He was limited but he was ours and he stood by us (the wage is immaterial mate, to be honest, as they all earn fortunes) but it was the right time to go.

Peace, brother.
Agree. I'm certainly not one of those morons that would turn on other Blues just for applauding the guy. And I only mention the money because some would have you think that he only played for City because he loved the club, when, well, that's just silly.

CELTICRORY said:
In the Irish Times it says it was a wonderful gesture and that we showed Arsenal fans how to behave and how to applaud a former player.

Well the Irish Times better watch out before they get inundated with letters complaining about the biased media conspiracy painting all city fans as pleasant, classy and good humoured types who acknowledge a good gesture and return it, when clearly that is not the case.

The 'so called journalist' who said that should know that those mentioned can't be 'proper city fans' as 'you just don't do that'. In order to be a city fan you have act as closed minded and tribal as possible and expect everyone else to do the same or they can 'go and support county' and you must also, wherever possible, be rude to anyone who disagrees with this attempt to herd and proscribe as they have no right to make a free decision and act upon it while in the company of 'true blues'.

Oh, and someone should be sure to tell the guy for future reference that when he makes the above points it is customary to end his piece with the cringeworthy comment 'end of'.

I didn't make it last night but I'm proud that I follow a team that can applaud a man despite him scoring against us. I've clapped players when they've scored a great goal against us and to be honest you don't half get funny looks.

dannybcity said:
I didn't make it last night but I'm proud that I follow a team that can applaud a man despite him scoring against us. I've clapped players when they've scored a great goal against us and to be honest you don't half get funny looks.
I am with you on this Danny when I go to a game it is to see 22 players
Do you get in for 1/2 of the cost of your ticket to only see 11

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.