Six Nations 2024

It has gone that way. International day is a bit of nuisance these days with all thw twats it creates.

Welsh rugby would thrive again if meaningful club rugby was brought back.
You're right there. For years the Rugby fraternity slated football fans for violence, some real, some not. Central Cardiff is a disaster zone when Wales play rugby and is best avoided.
Your last point is valid too. Welsh rugby was always local community based in its support for clubs and this never translated into support for a region they felt no attachment to. You still wont get any big numbers from the Valleys going to support any of the M4 corridor clubs. They'll still turn out 150 supporters for their respective local village clubs. The WRU never took this on board when they organised the regions.

Welsh rugby needs regular games against the English clubs, the fans would care about those games & turn up, we couldn't give a shit about games against Irish, Scottish, Italian or South African sides.
Unfortunately for us, the English sides don't need us.
Wales to battle it out with Italy for last place

Club Rugby Union in England is on its arse, 4 out of the top 14 teams going bump in a year.

There is no money to support a professional club game in Britain as it currently stands.

Club Rugby Union in England is on its arse, 4 out of the top 14 teams going bump in a year.

There is no money to support a professional club game in Britain as it currently stands.
London Irish,Wasps and Worcester plus Jersey league below.
I think it has been more a case of “keeping up with the Jones” rather than being on its arse. As English teams are making good offers to Welsh Boys you have the even ricer French lurking.
The Gallagher Premiership is a far more enjoyable spectacle than the IRC imho.

Just been speaking to an itk minutes ago about it. Turns out Gatland and Toby Booth dont get on and so Gatland has shunned a lot of Ospreys, which is why he has picked the 3rd choice Bath tighthead and other strange calls. He has told the regions how he wants to play and Booth has told him no. And the Ospreys are winning games too.

Wales losing players to other nations was always going to happen with professional rugby just as it happens in football. Nobody was/is interested in regional rugby and the crowds reflect this. Money talks and players walk. To this end the WRU are up shitcreek in financial terms.
There's this myth that everyone in Wales is rugby mad, its total nonsense and its perpetuated by the Welsh media. All that happens is that every 6 nations loads of people go out wearing Wales shirts on the lash and fill the MillStad with women in daft glittery cowboy hats waving at the camera. It's an occasion and nothing more to most, a bit like Royal Ascot ladies day. The vast majority of the Welsh public couldn't give a toss about rugby for the rest of the year.
Shame really. I think England, Wales and Scotland would all benefit from a combined league. I can't ever see England agreeing to it though in case it strengthened the other two.

Shame really. I think England, Wales and Scotland would all benefit from a combined league. I can't ever see England agreeing to it though in case it strengthened the other two.

Wouldn't that also probably require one or two current Premiership clubs to miss out?

I know they did it when wrecking Richmond and others to form the top league, but I think they'd have a hard job doing it now.

Wouldn't that also probably require one or two current Premiership clubs to miss out?

I know they did it when wrecking Richmond and others to form the top league, but I think they'd have a hard job doing it now.
I've no idea, but with the current state of rugby in Wales (in particular), Scotland and England, something might be done to bring about improvements. They managed a successful revamp of Rugby League. I'm English by the way.

I've no idea, but with the current state of rugby in Wales (in particular), Scotland and England, something might be done to bring about improvements. They managed a successful revamp of Rugby League. I'm English by the way.

I think RL was easier as everyone in the game was in one league.

Multiple leagues and unions all cooperating seems far more difficult, wrangles over the European entries and Ireland would never forgive them! Hmm, that last bit may appeal to the RFU to improve England's chances!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.