Smart gas meters?

The latest attempt by EDF to get us to have a smart meter fitted is a letter saying they need to make an appointment to fit it in order to comply with government requirements.

Nice try but it has ended up in the bin as all previous ones have.
Why? I might be missing something but why would you not want more accurate bills, the ability to monitor your usage and an end to the pain in the arse that is the repeated requirement to check meters and submit readings?

Why? I might be missing something but why would you not want more accurate bills, the ability to monitor your usage and an end to the pain in the arse that is the repeated requirement to check meters and submit readings?
Because, as I posted 20 mins ago, they are changing the way they charge you.
Me, on a normal meter pays for what I use over the month.
Smart meters are about to start charging per half hour, so if you have you washing machine on during the day/evening you get charged the higher price as opposed to night time use.
They will be hammering everyone with a smart meter
It isn't about accuracy, it is about how much can they charge you. (Exactly the same as the water meter I have and can't get rid off)

Heads up. Smart meters are to start sending a signal every half hour which will report your use.
This means you will be charged more as most people use electric and gas during the peak times, i.e. the high charging period.
At the moment, unless you opt in for that service, they cannot do it. Very soon they will override it
That's not how meter readings work Blue Mist. You'll get charged the same regardless of how often it sends out a signal. If it sends out a signal daily you get charged for a the last 24 hrs use, if it's every 30 mins you get charged for the last 30 mins use, there's no difference. What it does do is allow you to see if something is eating up your energy use at a certain time of the day.

For cheaper night time use (in your later post) you have to be on economy 7 tariff (or whatever it's called these days) and have a meter that records which tariff period you are using the energy in.

Last edited:
Smart meters are about to start charging per half hour, so if you have you washing machine on during the day/evening you get charged the higher price as opposed to night time use.
It isn't about accuracy, it is about how much can they charge you. (Exactly the same as the water meter I have and can't get rid off)
I think you need to re understand how smart meters work mate. You have got it very wrong here.

Apologies fella. I didn't see your earlier post. However, subsequent posts kind of reinforce my point.

That's not how meter readings work Blue Mist. You'll get charged the same regardless of how often it sends out a signal. If it sends out a signal daily you get charged for a the last 24 hrs use, if it's every 30 mins you get charged for the last 30 mins use, there's no difference. What it does do is allow you to see if something is eating up your energy use at a certain time of the day.

For cheaper night time use (in your later post) you have to be on economy 7 tariff (or whatever it's called these days) and have a meter that records which tariff period you are using the energy in.
It’s been reported today that From May power companies can start surge charging. Smart Meters will send half hourly readings and the rate can be adjusted at their discretion.

It’s been reported today that From May power companies can start surge charging. Smart Meters will send half hourly readings and the rate can be adjusted at their discretion.
This is exactly the reason not to have one for now. Inevitably everyone will eventually get one as I'm sure the energy firms will make the price for non smart meter users excessively high.
Their argument for now will be it will allow some people to save money if you use it in the middle of the night, but any "cost saving to the consumer" is a complete juxtaposition to any privately owned company who's sole goal in life is profit margins and shareholder dividends. Even more so when the private companies effectively operate as a cartel.

Last edited:
Oh I hadn't seen that. MSN is saying that they get the powers in May but will be looking to implement them by 2025 and also that customers can still opt out. I think what the energy companies will be trying to do is 'encourage' people to use power out of hours by offering discounts off the standard tariff rather than charging extra for using it at busy periods so opting out will prevent access to the discounts. So I think it depends on how people view it.

Thin end of the wedge.
Govt will find a way of charging petrol prices for car charging power sooner or later.

This is exactly the reason not to have one for now. Inevitably everyone will eventually get one as I'm sure the energy firms will make the price for non smart meter users excessively high.
Their argument for now will be it will allow some people to save money if you use it in the middle of the night, but any "cost saving to the consumer" is a complete juxtaposition to any privately owned company who's sole goal in life is profit margins and shareholder dividends. Even more so when the private companies effectively operate as a cartel.
It’s the opposite that worries me. For instance Trebling of rates for electricity between 5 and 7 pm for instance…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.