Smart gas meters?

This is exactly the reason not to have one for now. Inevitably everyone will eventually get one as I'm sure the energy firms will make the price for non smart meter users excessively high.
Their argument for now will be it will allow some people to save money if you use it in the middle of the night, but any "cost saving to the consumer" is a complete juxtaposition to any privately owned company who's sole goal in life is profit margins and shareholder dividends. Even more so when the private companies effectively operate as a cartel.
Exactly. But I see them being used in a slightly more devious way, not to put prices up (on the face of it at first glance)

Phase 1 complete - put up electricity prices by extortionate amount. Suppliers make more money
Phase 2 - government "persuade" suppliers to offer cheaper off-peak rates (provided you have smart meter). Off-peak rates will still be significantly higher than pre-rise rates.
Suppliers make more money. Sheep electorate believe yet another con government seen to be heroes and re-elect Government
Phase 3 - Everyone pays more. Suppliers make more money

That's not how meter readings work Blue Mist. You'll get charged the same regardless of how often it sends out a signal. If it sends out a signal daily you get charged for a the last 24 hrs use, if it's every 30 mins you get charged for the last 30 mins use, there's no difference. What it does do is allow you to see if something is eating up your energy use at a certain time of the day.

For cheaper night time use (in your later post) you have to be on economy 7 tariff (or whatever it's called these days) and have a meter that records which tariff period you are using the energy in.
Well The Daily Telegraph along with other media outlets say otherwise. They say you will charged for using during the peak period and that is why they are going to start doing it.

It’s been reported today that From May power companies can start surge charging. Smart Meters will send half hourly readings and the rate can be adjusted at their discretion.
I said that and yet a number of posters insist I am wrong. Nope. They will do it to make more money. Simple as.

We should be refusing to have them. I cannot see a single benefit for the consumer. There is no credibility to the suggestion that they will encourage less use. You either need energy or you don't. An instrument that tells you that electricity use has gone up when you turn on the cooker or an immersion heater or gas uses is higher with the central heating is on is plain ridiculous.

We should be refusing to have them. I cannot see a single benefit for the consumer. There is no credibility to the suggestion that they will encourage less use. You either need energy or you don't. An instrument that tells you that electricity use has gone up when you turn on the cooker or an immersion heater or gas uses is higher with the central heating is on is plain ridiculous.
Totally agree. Plus the govt. are pushing the phone companies and providers to scrap the phone signals used to send the readings. This will make all currently fitted smart meters obsolete and they will have to be replaced.
Who do people think will ultimately pay for teams of engineers to go out fitting new ones....... us.

I said that and yet a number of posters insist I am wrong. Nope. They will do it to make more money. Simple as.
Some of us were unaware of the information you were referencing and were explaining the current situation so it was understandable without you providing that info. Even so you will be able to opt out, according to the reports I’ve seen, you’d just miss out on any reduced rates on offer and if you are allowed to keep a non smart meter then you’ll have to continue providing readings too. Each to their own.

Some of us were unaware of the information you were referencing and were explaining the current situation so it was understandable without you providing that info. Even so you will be able to opt out, according to the reports I’ve seen, you’d just miss out on any reduced rates on offer and if you are allowed to keep a non smart meter then you’ll have to continue providing readings too. Each to their own.
No problem @Citizen of Legoland, I am used to being ignored and told I am wrong at the same time, I've been married for 40 years ;-)
The info I read says at present you can opt out. They are going to stop that very soon, (May?) Watch the price shoot up between 7-9am and 4-9pm.

Last edited:
No problem @Citizen of Legoland, I am used to being ignored and told I am wrong at the same time, I've been married for 40 years ;-)
The info I read says at present you can opt out. They are going to stop that very soon, (May?) Watch the price shoot up between 7-9am and 4-9pm.
What makes you say they’re going to stop that very soon mate ?

Tried to get these fitted. Took day off and Eon didn’t turn up, gave me £35 for the inconvenience! Then took another day off and they tried to fit them but couldn’t as some form of connection problem. I don’t live in a remote area so no idea what connection issue was.

MSN reported that they “get the powers” in May and aim to implement it by 2025, so I’m unclear as to what the timescales are but didn’t think it was imminent. Opting out will be allowed when it’s implemented so can’t see it being stopped for a few years, if at all. I think the way to think about these new tariffs is to view it as prices going down in off-peak, rather than going up in peak hours. They’ll still offer standard tariffs for those not on smart meters or if you opt out because they will be the more profitable ones. That’s how they’ll make money, by catching those who don’t regularly swap tariffs, similar to people paying full price for Sky TV or having a mobile contract for unlimited usage but never really using much of their allowances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.