Smart meters - what is the purpose?

I recently had my meter moved. The meter would not fit in the box cos we needed extra gear in there, so they installed a new one. Two weeks later they came round to fit a smart meter. Great planning. AND not supplied with remote usage display. They are also carrying on with meter readers!!! Wtf???

2nd generation of meters are supposed to work with any energy company so should still work if you switch. Due to start roll out in a couple of years, so if you ain't got one yet it might be worth hanging on till they're available.

I was under the apprehension this was the case but we switched to Brit Gas Boiler care and the fancy meter does not work with them..I can still use it to acquire readings and update via online portals but I guess that negates the purpose of the install.

Turn lights off when no longer using them and have a shower not a bath and use your thermostat etc etc etc.The general consensus is that Joe Soap knows how to reduce his usage and a smart meter although smarter than a non smart meter cannot really address that common sense approach.Someone mentioned the big brother aspect in that they can harvest your data and I sort of go along with that hypothesis.I don't like being harvested and so as mentioned in thread we use the services of a VPN cloaking device.I came in last week after venturing out on our weekly hunt and the cheeky fucking phone asked me how I just enjoyed my experience at Aldis and would I recommend it to friends and family.Needless to say I switched off the location and swiftly installed VPN on Hello Moto to deter any further stalking.

The issue that really needs addressing is the obscene profits these wicked cnunts make at our behest. The profit margins at the big six energy providers have hit the highest level on record according to ofcom and our supplier centrica are probably one of the worst culprits going.Shame eternal shame on that gang of six. That is all:

Last edited:
Simple way to save leccy. Instal LEDs in place of light bulbs. In total, energy efficient appliances in the UK save more carbon emissions than renewable energy does.

I still think it must be breaking some competition rules that you can't change your water supplier and they can just charge you wtf they want. I pay over £100 a month for water, apparently its the going rate for my area and house, i have no choice other than to stick with them.

I had a water meter fitted and the leak dial was spinning like a spitfire prop. Turns out that there was an old lead pipe under my floor that was leaking that had been T'd off at the threshold instead of capped. Crafty sod I bought the place off had put new laminate down prior to sale which was starting to warp and I had no idea why. I decided to have the meter fitted after the last kid moved out and I save about £160 a year. Neither I nor my good lady look or smell like a Junkys bog as a result of said meter or water cutbacks. Having the G&E meter fitted this week as my son, who makes a living with pipes, wrenches and other crap says the new generation ones are ok to have fitted now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.