"Smart" motorways

Whoever signed these off should be locked up. I spend a lot of time on motorways and see a lot of stranded vehicles before any lane closures are put in place. If they don’t get out quickly they’ve got no chance. And god help em if it’s foggy.
I don’t think the extra capacity is worth one life, let alone the number that have been killed so far. It will only ever work with automated vehicles.

The dog shit drivers who use the smart motorways are the ones that make it a dangerous place. If everyone was a fairly competent driver there’d be no problem with them.
But you'd have thought someone somewhere along the decision-making line would have considered that.

It's not much use coming up with an idea that would be great if only the intended user base was different. That's how businesses go bust.

In this case, it's how people lose their lives.

I heard a discussion of radio 4 about these a few months back. Essentially the first one the M42 had emergency lay byes every 600m so there was a very good chance that a broken down vehicle could make the lay bye and safety, and the results showed that this was quite effective. Now they have stretched the lay byes to every 1800m - 2000m with the cameras and gantry's also further apart. The result being that vehicles cant make the lay byes and are not being picked up by cameras with lanes not being shut. The delay is something like 13-17mins between a vehicle breaking down and the lane being shut.
To make things worse I have spotted in many places including the M6 they have stopped vehicles actually pulling onto the grass verge and getting off the live lane by installing miles of continuous armco barriers. All in all this makes motorways more unsafe than dual carriageways as drivers don't expect to see broken down vehicles in lane 1, Most dual carriageways dont have armco barriers all the way down the side thus allowing a broken down vehicle to pull onto the verge. Finally many drivers are becoming aware of these dangers and are simply not driving down lane 1, rendering null and void the whole point of smart motorways which was to increase capacity.
Their current design will be abandoned very shortly and changes made. They are simply much more dangerous and stats show this.

the admission that main safety feature radar is only on 2 parts of M25 but the speed cameras where all installed should tell you something
up to 3 years before upgrade wow

I have broken down on "dumb" motorways twice in 30 odd years and both times even the hard shoulder is a scary place to be with trucks flying pass a couple of feet away. The first time, the car lost power on the way up Barton Bridge and I just about managed to roll over the top and down to where the hard shoulder started again without getting rear ended. The thought of breaking down on a "smart" motorway and not making it to a refuge area is terrifying. In addition I find I pay more attention to the current speed limit and where the cameras are hidden than I do to actually driving the car.

Caught some of this last night. 'Smart motorways'. Where the fuck were they educated, Eton?

Cheap motorways is a better name.

What gets me is the lay byes are tiny and spaced out, fine where there is clearly restrictions on space but there is often miles and miles where there is no space restriction, just create a lay bye. I get that it cost a lot to tarmac it but why not just have it usable at a basic level, gravel of even grass instead of a barrier or big curb that keeps you close to traffic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.