"Smart" motorways

Cheap motorways is a better name.

What gets me is the lay byes are tiny and spaced out, fine where there is clearly restrictions on space but there is often miles and miles where there is no space restriction, just create a lay bye. I get that it cost a lot to tarmac it but why not just have it usable at a basic level, gravel of even grass instead of a barrier or big curb that keeps you close to traffic.
I think many of the lay byes are often over engineered with retaining walls that are just not needed or over designed. I worked on the M56 widening near the airport years ago and despite the Mercia Mudstone being stable at a very high angle, a very costly concrete retaining wall was still designed and installed for miles.

The dog shit drivers who use the smart motorways are the ones that make it a dangerous place. If everyone was a fairly competent driver there’d be no problem with them.

Unless someone is unfortunate enough to break down.... then it’s a death trap. You should try it.

I think many of the lay byes are often over engineered with retaining walls that are just not needed or over designed. I worked on the M56 widening near the airport years ago and despite the Mercia Mudstone being stable at a very high angle, a very costly concrete retaining wall was still designed and installed for miles.

So i guess when i say cheap it is cheap on the basis that you get the most number of lanes for the cost ignoring the astronomically expensive engineering solutions applied at every opportunity.

So i guess when i say cheap it is cheap on the basis that you get the most number of lanes for the cost ignoring the astronomically expensive engineering solutions applied at every opportunity.

Look around Stoke now on the M6 - that roads been there for 50 years plus but by converting the hard shoulder they’ve decided to do miles and miles of pile driving! I’m no engineer but I can’t see why this level of work is required now if it wasn’t needed in the last 50 years. Anyone would think Kier were significant contributors to the Conservative Party !

Well its definitely cheaper than full scale widening but not necessarily cheap !

Well its definitely cheaper than full scale widening but not necessarily cheap !

All depends to what standard you build it. Do you need to build a hard shoulder to the same standard as the main road? If you accept a hard shoulder can be dirt cheap or create designated decent sections and build 80% of it dirt cheap then maybe not. Its that kind of basic challenge to the thought process that just doesn't happen because of incompetent politicians.

investigation on Panorama now - fucking death traps - typical British cut price way of trying to solve a problem - in this case congestion

I have been saying since day one when they were being rolled out and even the transport minister who resigned over this admitted that once he got wind of the fact that this was a cost cutting exercise he quit. Hard shoulders are there for a reason they save lives and keep people safe they aren't there to deny people that extra lane so that they can get home for their tea that little bit earlier.

It's a joke and no doubt there will be some horrible tragic accident and they won't give a fuck, watching lying **** face Shapp's almost shrug his way through the interview and promise to do something. Nothing will happen just like Glenfell it will be all white washed over. It will be never mind at least we have done Brexit for you and you clowns voted us in, so what that your family is dead suck it up buttercups here's a commemorative Brexit 50p coin now fuck off!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.