Smiths Reunion?

Marr has made it quite clear he's far from being a fan of Morrissey's 'political' views and therefore it wont be happening. Aside from that, i dont imagine the Smiths have enough of a young fanbase to have picked up on their music to make it worthwhile.

Marr has made it quite clear he's far from being a fan of Morrissey's 'political' views and therefore it wont be happening. Aside from that, i dont imagine the Smiths have enough of a young fanbase to have picked up on their music to make it worthwhile.
Are you kidding me?

The Smiths are massive amongst today's teenagers. I couldn't believe it.

Are you kidding me?

The Smiths are massive amongst today's teenagers. I couldn't believe it
Are they? I honestly wouldn't know as im way past the point of even pretending to know what modern society/the youth like nowadays, it was purely an assumption (and an incorrect one it seems!)

Are they? I honestly wouldn't know as im way past the point of even pretending to know what modern society/the youth like nowadays, it was purely an assumption (and an incorrect one it seems!)
My 18 year old daughter and 16 year old son are crazy about them. They are in fashion for "alternative" type kids, abut like people like The Doors were cool when we were kids. I picked my daughter up from a SMiths tribute band gig and it was a 60/40 mix of teenagers to middle agers. Same when she went to see Morrissey once.

I'm not saying they would pull hundreds of thousands like Oasis of course but I suspect they could fill Heaton Park and maybe even Wembley once.

isnt the world miserable enough right now without adding the smiths ;)

Heaven knows it is.

Here's the thing. Early eighties, 1983 or so, and I was just constantly thinking to myself, I hate this decade. An unreconstructed hippy washed up on the beach of an alien continent. I truly hate it! I hate its look, I hate its clothes, I hate its ideologies, I hate its music. What is there to fucking listen to, other than Boy George and Duran Duran?? (I will admit, rather shamefacedly, that I quite like listening to some of their stuff now… age will do that to you). The kids in the UK seemed to be voting Thatcher. They liked her, they liked what she was saying. Reagan doing his B movie actor sabre-rattling across the water.
Was living in Japan at the time. Was riffling through records in a store, vinyls were still around and going quite strong. I came across this cover, a kid who looked about 15 wearing a helmet and with a radio set on his back. Obviously a shot from Vietnam. I thought, “This looks intriguing… I like the name, too. Studiedly unshowy.” Bought it on a whim, took it home, put the needle down. Shit!!! “The Headmaster Ritual”. Bang, straight in, no messing. Marr's Rickenbacker. And words that — finally — spoke to me.
I can hardly convey the sense of relief to you. Not just joy, but relief. Up till then, I'd felt a bit like Will Smith in I am legend. Well, yes… there were small groups of people out there who were not the undead.

Wouldn't go to see them now. Some memories should not be spoilt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.