So I'm mental. Let's talk about it.

As others have said great article to read and it does invite you to put a mirror to your own way of life and I can see reflections of some of your own words in my own habits at times. One example I have is that if I ever iron anything before going out I'm petrified that I would leave the iron on meaning I would set fire to the house with all the apocalyptic thoughts that might bring. I used to count to ten at the iron saying 'off' or do something a bit different just so I could differentiate that action from previous times in case I started panicking I had the wrong day in my mind that I switched it off. Now I just take a photo of it on my mobile which has got the date on the photo - problem sorted! gotta love technology ;-)

I personally don't see it as a mental health issue as I think that phrase has default conations with mental health problems which are vast in their own right but of course I may be well off the mark here and possible we are talking about various grades of this and I definitely have not read up about it that's just my instinctive reaction to it before I get shot down in flames. I suspect this is some kind of residue in certain people that stems from our primeval makeup where it's amplified more in some people than it is in others - I fully recognise from your article where the frustrations and impact this has had on your day to day decision making and therefore the way you live your life which you have articulated very well; but in my case I kind of see it as something that is just a bit unique about me and I kind of like this pathway in my neuron highway. I suspect you are a very good strategist for example because you seem to endlessly calculate multiple scenarios in your mind based on multiple variable outcomes (that could be perceived as a positive byproduct ofis issue) which is a bigger headfuck for me as I have a tendency to overcomplicate things to mitigate certain scenarios in all aspects of my life- percentages if you like! however like yourself I am much more suited to having my own business and I'm very good at what I do (if I don't mind saying so myself ;-) and the people I have to work with put up with some of the perceived oddities because I always generate results. I'm also very good at Chess and I'm certain that's linked to this classification of OCD ( don't think I've ever written or said that about myself ever but if that's the label we've decided to give it then so be it). I couldn't say that it has effected my life in a negative way but I've never really put a microscope to it although the passage about avoiding the Etihad for a while after the changeover from Maine Road for the reasons you stated is not something I personally recognise in my past but hey who knows.

I think we have a tendency as a species as our society and technology evolves to have an impulsive need to label things, there's probably going to be about another 100 mental health related categories created in the next twenty years alone and that may be great on the one hand if it leads to research going into those areas where it helps people whose lives are negatively impacted by a certain affliction especially if it has lead to depression but it can create as much harm in some cases as it starts to tattoo a label onto someone's brain and there is a tendency to create a micro environment with its own set of rules which orbits around our perceived/researched definition of 'normality'.

out of interest do you tend to ramble a lot about most subject matters? I do and this often leads to people who know me making a sharp exit for the pub door when they see me :-)

It was a good read and a real insight, the normality of "Crazy" is quite scary when you look at how many people are a bit crazy. Defining what it is to be normal should be a new aim for society. Great read again mate and dare I say good look in your way forward.

Excellent as always Damocles.

All I can say is you are not alone, mental health is a huge problem and is really not understood by the huge majority, sure plenty will pay lip service but truly have no clue. I cannot offer much positive in hope of help being out there, in my experience it is most certainly difficult if not impossible to get.

Stay strong and fight and hope the odd bit of your fantastic writing educates a largely un educational rabble that make up 99% of the population. Kind words and false sympathy mean little.

In these days where we hear so much about prejudice bigotry and the like it is lost on the majority of those preaching it as to how guilty they themselves are when it comes to those suffering largely in silence either unable or unwilling to put their hand up and speak out.

I wish you every happiness and success in your fight.

As others have said great article to read and it does invite you to put a mirror to your own way of life and I can see reflections of some of your own words in my own habits at times. One example I have is that if I ever iron anything before going out I'm petrified that I would leave the iron on meaning I would set fire to the house with all the apocalyptic thoughts that might bring. I used to count to ten at the iron saying 'off' or do something a bit different just so I could differentiate that action from previous times in case I started panicking I had the wrong day in my mind that I switched it off. Now I just take a photo of it on my mobile which has got the date on the photo - problem sorted! gotta love technology ;-)

I personally don't see it as a mental health issue as I think that phrase has default conations with mental health problems which are vast in their own right but of course I may be well off the mark here and possible we are talking about various grades of this and I definitely have not read up about it that's just my instinctive reaction to it before I get shot down in flames. I suspect this is some kind of residue in certain people that stems from our primeval makeup where it's amplified more in some people than it is in others - I fully recognise from your article where the frustrations and impact this has had on your day to day decision making and therefore the way you live your life which you have articulated very well; but in my case I kind of see it as something that is just a bit unique about me and I kind of like this pathway in my neuron highway. I suspect you are a very good strategist for example because you seem to endlessly calculate multiple scenarios in your mind based on multiple variable outcomes (that could be perceived as a positive byproduct ofis issue) which is a bigger headfuck for me as I have a tendency to overcomplicate things to mitigate certain scenarios in all aspects of my life- percentages if you like! however like yourself I am much more suited to having my own business and I'm very good at what I do (if I don't mind saying so myself ;-) and the people I have to work with put up with some of the perceived oddities because I always generate results. I'm also very good at Chess and I'm certain that's linked to this classification of OCD ( don't think I've ever written or said that about myself ever but if that's the label we've decided to give it then so be it). I couldn't say that it has effected my life in a negative way but I've never really put a microscope to it although the passage about avoiding the Etihad for a while after the changeover from Maine Road for the reasons you stated is not something I personally recognise in my past but hey who knows.

I think we have a tendency as a species as our society and technology evolves to have an impulsive need to label things, there's probably going to be about another 100 mental health related categories created in the next twenty years alone and that may be great on the one hand if it leads to research going into those areas where it helps people whose lives are negatively impacted by a certain affliction especially if it has lead to depression but it can create as much harm in some cases as it starts to tattoo a label onto someone's brain and there is a tendency to create a micro environment with its own set of rules which orbits around our perceived/researched definition of 'normality'.

out of interest do you tend to ramble a lot about most subject matters? I do and this often leads to people who know me making a sharp exit for the pub door when they see me :-)

This is because they either have not the intelligence to understand what you are saying or they are simply cowards afraid to confront the fact that they are wrong in their views.
Fuck them.

Reactions: mat
Anyone who’s supported City for decades must have a condition of sorts be it OCD,masochism or whatever mind altering fuckwittery that the likes of Frank Clark or Stuart Pearce & his beanie horse conjured up in the sufferering masses.
One thing you will always get on bluemoon is support,sometimes cloaked in sarcasm & pisstaking,but support nonetheless
I would hope anyone suffering with any illness can feel they can share on here without feeling judged and Damocles article encourages others to share & get the support they need

Just an added bit of advice for other who have to contend with these problems. You really have to use both your mental and physical energy to keep yourself as best as you can. Do not waste it on pissing into the wind, learn to be selfish in essence, it doesnt always sit easy and the majority of folk I know with these issues it goes against all your natural instincts but you have to do it sometimes.

That's a brave, articulate and revealing piece. I also love your description of the forum. So true.

It's one of the great truisms of life that when people ask "How are you?" they aren't actually interested in an honest answer so it takes some courage to come out with something like this.

Some of my favourite Twitter accounts are people who bare their souls about their problems, particularly their mental health issues. Not in a rubber-necking kind of way, such as the people who used to pay to go into the lunatic asylum Bedlam but because I admire their openness and honesty. Three of those are seemingly intelligent, witty, articulate and outgoing young women and I was staggered to find that all have crippling anxiety issues, one particularly so. It's particularly poignant as they're all late 20's/early 30's, which is the same ages as my own kids, both of who have had their own issues.

Fascinating read and I hope that, in writing it, it helps you in some way.

Fascinating read and you certainly have a talent for writing. It always takes someone like yourself to talk about a difficult subject to make others who are not so confident realise that they are not alone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.