So why suddenly do they talk about Aguero leaving?

Certain quarters have for years been clinging on to the hope that Barca or Real would come in and unsettle Sergio, and he would ask to leave. He's too good for City,(even though they rarely recognise his achievements publicly)why is he wasting his career there? In response he has repeatedly said he likes it in Manchester and is happy at the club.
Now the rhetoric has slightly changed. A few years ago they would have mocked and said he was always too good for us and him leaving was inevitable. If he does leave in the summer I fully expect to see headlines vilifying us for casting aside a loyal player. He will suddenly become the greatest striker the Prem has ever seen, and all his remarkable stats will be printed to show how much of an idiot Pep is for getting rid.

Hes one of the best strikers in the world, why do you think the media want him out the door?

You think they want one of the biggest stars in the Premier League to quit, simply to impact City?

Aguero and players of his ilk pay the media's wages, the ones who bring the reflected glory and commercial aspects to it.

This is simply an easy story to write, based on what has happened in recent games and the obvious interest Kun would generate.

No journo thinks that deeply, especially so, when they know City have the capacity to replace him with another star.

Let me tell you, the arrival of Gabriel Jesus has generated huge excitement in the media.

It's an easy story to write, the new kid in town is scoring for fun and Sergio is quite rightly, having to bide his time on the bench.

Personally, I think Sergio will be leaving us this summer, despite City's best efforts to say otherwise, derail the season at a critical juncture.

Sergio has a complicated personal life and we have been very fortunate to have his best years at our club, a legend, who should be carried shoulder-high off the field and a statue immortalising "his" moment if he decides to move on.

Football changes very quickly and next week he could be scoring a hat-trick or winning us a Champions League trophy.

Whatever he decides, we should back his wishes and I'm sure his exit path would be done with good faith on both sides.

He's a couple grades down on what his immense standards were, regardless of his incredible scoring record. Sergio had it in him to score 40 goals a season in this league.

We should not look a gift horse in the mouth if Paris or Real do come calling. To achieve £70m plus for a player turning 29, next-year, in comparison to what we paid and what he has achieved since, is the perfect time and it won't come again.

A chance to bring in someone much younger but with the talent to try and match Sergio's incredible feats.

It would be Dybala or Griezmann for me.

The latter, would be great for shits and giggles, should Atletico consider it an attractive deal giving them £40m plus Aguero to go back there.

Make no mistake, United and Chelsea are planning their next move - they only have money - we also have unbelievable leverage with someone such as Kun.

Fair comment. From a business perspective, this summer might be the right time to cash in if an overseas club offers us very good money.

Someone in my family used to have contact with someone that knows Sergio quite well and the very little I heard did suggest that he likes living where he does but obviously his personal situation is complicated. I genuinely don't think he would be in a hurry to leave City but he is not going to want to warm the bench regularly.

Aguero is a proven premiership striker.
Jesus has hit the ground running.
I believe that we need them both , sometimes to play together and other times individually.
Serge has been a bit off his game (scoring wise ) but with a shiny new strike partner he will flourish again.
I see Sergio as the main striker still , with one of Sane, Jesus or Raheem to make way initially in the starting line up.
On the face of it we have two world class strikers and as an attacking team this situation gives us extra options. We need support and backup for Serge which has been missing since the Bony experiment failed.
As an aside, Barcelona seem not to be doing too badly with 3 strikers!

You think they want one of the biggest stars in the Premier League to quit, simply to impact City?

Aguero and players of his ilk pay the media's wages, the ones who bring the reflected glory and commercial aspects to it.

This is simply an easy story to write, based on what has happened in recent games and the obvious interest Kun would generate.

No journo thinks that deeply, especially so, when they know City have the capacity to replace him with another star.

Let me tell you, the arrival of Gabriel Jesus has generated huge excitement in the media.

I'll be honest I dont read the articles as I think its all shite and hes staying.

I've not been paying too much attention but all i've heard today is Aguero to Chelsea or Liverpool

Some, definitely, but I suspect most of it is hope - if City stumble, it improves the chances of one of their favoured teams.
At worst they get to create an image of unsettled player which is a negative story.

We get plenty of criticism for only having Kun (Kelechi being considered irrelvant) and then as soon as we get another top striker we get the Aguero will leave story. Nothing new for a media that just doesn't like City and likes negative headlines. Pinch of salt time.

I'm not sure that the media doesn't like City - though there are plenty of individual journalists who don't for their own reasons - the issue is more that we are bad for business. Articles about City, especially positive ones, don't produce as much revenue for the media.

What follows is a quotation from as honest and frank a discussion of Kun as I have seen in the media at any point since his first season. The relevance here is that it illustrates precisely why we get such a shit time in the press. I will provide a link to the article because it deserves the clicks, but here is the Aguero issue in a nutshell:

"Now, with Aguero’s place under threat from the arrival of Pep Guardiola’s own personal Jesus, there are back-page tabloid headlines and broadsheet think pieces about the Spaniard’s ruthlessness, but the Argentine could be wondering why there was so little love during five ridiculously prolific years.

Football greatness cannot purely be measured in goals but it is a handy metric when it comes to strikers, and Aguero’s record of a Premier League goal every 109 minutes is better than any other player on any ‘greatest’ list. For comparison, Thierry Henry notched every 121 minutes and Ruud van Nistelrooy every 128 minutes.

It’s no surprise to see those two at the top of a recent list of the 100 best Premier League imports but where is the striker whose record surpasses theirs? In tenth of course, below Ronaldo, Patrick Vieira, Didier Drogba, Dennis Bergkamp, Sami Hyypia, Jaap Stam and Luis Suarez. The latter scored fewer goals at a less impressive rate and was found guilty of using racist language and biting a fellow footballer and yet he left England with more individual awards and plaudits than Aguero will ever muster.

The clue is perhaps in that list of nine footballers containing three Arsenal, three Manchester United and two Liverpool players. The global fanbases of those three clubs in total are greater than the rest of the Premier League put together, and media coverage is understandably skewed in their favour; only a growing Chelsea following in Africa threatens that tripoly. We know ourselves that writing about Manchester City will garner only a fraction of the clicks as a piece about their red neighbours."

That last paragraph tells you all you need to know, basically.

For the whole of this excellent piece, click here:

http://www.football365.com/news/the-bizarre-under-appreciation-of-sergio-aguero

I'll be honest I dont read the articles as I think its all shite and hes staying.

I've not been paying too much attention but all i've heard today is Aguero to Chelsea or Liverpool

City would never sell a single top player to a domestic rival. That's the only guarantee I can give you about Sergio.

Chelsea want Dybala and Liverpool will probably re-sign Peter Crouch knowing them.

Some, definitely, but I suspect most of it is hope - if City stumble, it improves the chances of one of their favoured teams.
At worst they get to create an image of unsettled player which is a negative story.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Sergio leaving is simply a sexy story - and they have enough smoke to write it.

City have an heir apparent and this will now run throughout the summer.

It was Diego Costa last month going to China for £700k a week and fighting with the physio.

Again, his future will continue to be speculated about, it's doubtful it will impact Chelsea's table position.

Liverpool ????????????? :) your having a laugh, they couldn't afford his left boot.

He will move on not sure it will be this season but we can all see from his performances this season have been inconsistent.

He has another yard to find to get to where he was but coming up 29 his best days may have passed???

the pace & work rate from next season will be wanted all over the pitch & Pep doesn't fancy anyone not willing to put a shift in, even Yaya is fighting for his position & that's saying something.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.