Social Media - is it really a good thing?

Their lives are so much better than ours.
Best holidays
Best sex
Lovelier babies
Best jobs
Nicer homes
Bigger/faster cars
First class travel
and a mate called Tarquin...
etc, etc...

We're all brainwashed to try and out-do our peers. We judge it based on materialistic shite that doesn't really matter.

In reality, the people who're portraying these incredible lifestyles on social media are just as depressed and dissatisfied as the other 99% of people. It's just they're better on photoshop.

Lee Mack once said social media is like leaving your front door open for strangers to come in, look around, sit down and observe while the whole family is home. Then getting all the photo albums out and flicking through while having a brew.

Nope.

It has made the younger population (and some of the adult population) completely obsessed with obtaining "likes" and being conscious of their looks. It has further promoted a materialistic culture which involves one upmanship on a mass scale.

If something happens in the street say a mugging or fight, first instincts are for somebody to film it. Whilst that might be great for police evidence lets not get away from the fact that bystanders are filming for the likes rather than helping out a victim.

I've not yet touched upon the awful bullying abd trolling that goes on, I really feel for parents and kids dealing with SM bullying.

Yes there's good things to come out of SM such as crowd funding, spreading awareness etc but it's at a cost. Our population can't be trusted with anything really.

Came off general social media (Facebook especially) years ago, my old neighbour, a retired Psychology professor, used to call it 'evil' and 'toxic', he was right, still moderate on a training and nutrition forum, but that's full of people I've known for years and it's a very close group, but life is way way better without the other stuff.

Hate to say it, but when football finished due to Covid, life was even better.

the problem is … not all of it is ‘evil’ and ‘toxic’ … one of my old school mates, a girl in her 30’s has been diagnosed with terminal Brest cancer whilst pregnant , she has 2 children already.
Anyway, a fundraising page has been set up for her for prolonging life treatment and hoping to raise 250,000 - she is nearly there.

there is no way she could have raised this without the power of social media.

Their lives are so much better than ours.
Best holidays
Best sex
Lovelier babies
Best jobs
Nicer homes
Bigger/faster cars
First class travel
and a mate called Tarquin...
etc, etc...

I really fucking hate one-upmanship.

No I'm not bitter or jealous, I can enjoy things in life without the need to gloat. When people feel the need to go on about their hols, car, house etc I see it as a sign of insecurity.

Happens on work calls all the time, and you can see the dick measuring contest unfolding as the one upping over holidays takes place (mostly from so called "managers"). You'd think given circumstances, differing salaries a manager would do well to use some tact and not gloat but nope - wanky showing off galore.

Social media has its pro's and a seemingly long list of cons to go with it.

when used properly its a great way for friends and families to feel part of there group from long distance. this can be a life line to many. You get to follow the bands/teams you like and get quality news from them directly about new events/gigs etc etc.

But, the list of con's just keeps growing. from the one up man ship already noted. to full on mob mentality where a small minority can and do strongarm there more radicalised views of the world. and then on top of that you have Bots/"ourside actors" directly manipulating it via ad's and fake posts. the mob mentality, mixed with bots and manipulation is causing significant issues. from manipulating elections to antivax conspiracy crap.

this video explains a lot about the issues with Mob mentality/bots. where the more you see the same things repeated over and over it feels like its "true".

Last edited:
the problem is … not all of it is ‘evil’ and ‘toxic’ … one of my old school mates, a girl in her 30’s has been diagnosed with terminal Brest cancer whilst pregnant , she has 2 children already.
Anyway, a fundraising page has been set up for her for prolonging life treatment and hoping to raise 250,000 - she is nearly there.

there is no way she could have raised this without the power of social media.
You get the odd good thing mate, of course you do , but it doesn't mean it's not evil and toxic most of the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.