Social Media - is it really a good thing?

Agree with this.

Like you I downloaded memrise to improve my frnech and elevate to give my brain some exercise. 10 minute lessons and feel good after.

Facebook/Twitter have me huge anxiety and I've felt so much better since fucking them off.

Anyone that want me has my phone number. They don't need a messaging app for it.
How do you rate Memrise? I've only ever used Duolingo, but I'm learning Greek, so not sure if it's even available in memrise?

264 days in and can have a decent conversation with family members in Athens now. Should finish the course in January at my current rate!

How do you rate Memrise? I've only ever used Duolingo, but I'm learning Greek, so not sure if it's even available in memrise?

264 days in and can have a decent conversation with family members in Athens now. Should finish the course in January at my current rate!
Learned more than expected but I don't think it's a patch on Duolingo which gets you practicing vocally a lot more. Which lets me down as I don't have the confidence to speak French.

Instagram is the best as it is mostly trivial. If I did Twitter I would have been locked up for murder long ago.
One of my hobbies is landscape photography, so I use Instagram for that.

I need Facebook for my day job, but if I didn’t, I’d delete it. I believe it is a force for bad, and have caused a global mental health crisis, and fuelled the political divisions and conspiracy loons we have today.

Twitter is a dumpster fire these days. I have several thousand followers, mainly from around 10 years ago when I was more active. I haven’t posted in over a year.

To be fair to Instagram, it’s not too bad for that kind of thing. I’ve got a lot of home DIY and decor ideas from Insta, found clothing labels I never knew existed, and there are some really good training videos for ideas to add variety to gym routines… all without the constant narrative of bollocks you get with Facebook and Twitter.

Learned more than expected but I don't think it's a patch on Duolingo which gets you practicing vocally a lot more. Which lets me down as I don't have the confidence to speak French.
I'm probably around A2 level fluency in Greek now. Just been on holiday to Greece and made the effort of only speaking Greek - I've come back and feel so much more confident in my capabilities. I made a lot of errors, but helpful people correct you and it's probably the best way to learn.
I also watch a lot of Greek TV on youtube which helps (although resources are limited, which won't be an issue with French).

Just throw yourself into it. Think if it was the other way round and someone was speaking English to you as a second language. You wouldn't think they're daft for making errors, you'd be impressed at what they do know!

You can also disable the talking lessons on duolingo if you want.

Agree with this.

Like you I downloaded memrise to improve my frnech and elevate to give my brain some exercise. 10 minute lessons and feel good after.

Facebook/Twitter have me huge anxiety and I've felt so much better since fucking them off.

Anyone that want me has my phone number. They don't need a messaging app for it.
What about your spelling?

I'm probably around A2 level fluency in Greek now. Just been on holiday to Greece and made the effort of only speaking Greek - I've come back and feel so much more confident in my capabilities. I made a lot of errors, but helpful people correct you and it's probably the best way to learn.
I also watch a lot of Greek TV on youtube which helps (although resources are limited, which won't be an issue with French).

Just throw yourself into it. Think if it was the other way round and someone was speaking English to you as a second language. You wouldn't think they're daft for making errors, you'd be impressed at what they do know!

You can also disable the talking lessons on duolingo if you want.
Thank you for the tip. I'll give it a go.

I downloaded the official French TV app and watch it using a VPN. I'm sure they'll be a Greek one you could do the same?

On that note, it really grips my shit when I see couples communicating on FB.

"Look at us! Look at us! See how much we love each other. I bet you wish your relationship was as good as ours.'

Attention seeking at its worst.

Just fuck off you cunts.
Their lives are so much better than ours.
Best holidays
Best sex
Lovelier babies
Best jobs
Nicer homes
Bigger/faster cars
First class travel
and a mate called Tarquin...
etc, etc...

Came off general social media (Facebook especially) years ago, my old neighbour, a retired Psychology professor, used to call it 'evil' and 'toxic', he was right, still moderate on a training and nutrition forum, but that's full of people I've known for years and it's a very close group, but life is way way better without the other stuff.

Hate to say it, but when football finished due to Covid, life was even better.

Facebook is just a long page of status updates that look more like echo chambers than anything else.
The same people posting the same meme shite day in, day out; and saying the same shite about the memes to each other and all agreeing that they're right. Nobody argues against them because what's the point?

I miss the days it was just about posting what you were having for tea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.