Solution at Centre Back

Shaelumstash said:
i kne albert davy said:
Shaelumstash said:
Looks like I'm on my own with the Richards shout then! ;-)

Everyone seems to agree that the centre halves we do have aren't quite right for the way we play.

I think Nastasic is an incredible talent and will go on to be one of Europe's top defenders. Pains me to say it but I can't see him doing it for us in the way we play though.

Lescott was a colossus in the title winning season, but again I just don't think he's quick enough, or good enough on the ball for the way we play.

Of the established centre back we have it's probably DeMichelis being the best of a bad bunch, but he's far from ideal!
i wouldn't say they're a bad bunch, but there again I wouldn't say DeMichelis was the best of them either.

I meant bad bunch in terms of playing a high line. I think there's only Kompany who's game it suits. Lescott and Nastasic looked far better when we played a deeper line. They're both great centre halves and have been excellent for us in the previous two seasons, but the way we play now just doesn't suit their game.
Think it's going to be hard work for any of our defenders with the system we play now in which the emphasis is based on attack more than defence, but as we've been caught out a few times with the long ball punt my choice to cover behind Kompany would be Lescott in most games to be honest.

i kne albert davy said:
Shaelumstash said:
i kne albert davy said:
i wouldn't say they're a bad bunch, but there again I wouldn't say DeMichelis was the best of them either.

I meant bad bunch in terms of playing a high line. I think there's only Kompany who's game it suits. Lescott and Nastasic looked far better when we played a deeper line. They're both great centre halves and have been excellent for us in the previous two seasons, but the way we play now just doesn't suit their game.
Think it's going to be hard work for any of our defenders with the system we play now in which the emphasis is based on attack more than defence, but as we've been caught out a few times with the long ball punt my choice to cover behind Kompany would be Lescott in most games to be honest.

Lescott is brilliant in the air, but to be honest I think his lack of pace is what makes us most vulnerable to the long ball.

Think back to the Cardiff and Watford games, the amount of times they got behind us with a long punt was scary.

I love Lescott, but for the way we play this year I think he's a bit of a square peg in a round hole.

Shaelumstash said:
i kne albert davy said:
Shaelumstash said:

Lescott is brilliant in the air, but to be honest I think his lack of pace is what makes us most vulnerable to the long ball.

Think back to the Cardiff and Watford games, the amount of times they got behind us with a long punt was scary.

I love Lescott, but for the way we play this year I think he's a bit of a square peg in a round hole.
I was thinking more of Villa and Chelsea when we got caught out with the direct punt forward.

The solution is Nastasic in my opinion he is having a bad season but he has everything in his locker to be a world beater. He is still very young and needs time to adjust to way Manny plays, the problem is Manny rates MDM extremely highly and is his first choice along side Kompany. Nastasic wont be able to get used to the system in training he needs game time and match conditions but his pre season was interrupted by injured and has been unable to get a run of starts cause of MDM. I don't blame Manny MDM has served him well over the years, he knows the system inside out and we cant afford to drop points. But im hoping with a full pre season and with a fully fit Kompany as his CB partner we will see the best of him again.

i kne albert davy said:
Shaelumstash said:
i kne albert davy said:

I was thinking more of Villa and Chelsea when we got caught out with the direct punt forward.

Well for all of the positives of the way we play, unfortunately playing so high does leave you vulnerable to quick counter attacks and direct balls. It's rough with the smooth I guess.

I don't think there's an obvious answer to who should partner Vinny. Everyone has got their own preference, but personally I don't think any of our other centre halves are ideal for this style of play.

A long time ago now but we had trouble here also a couple of seasons ago. Using the logic that United had tried Carrick and Fletcher there in a big European tie and it came off and Barcelona had started to use Mascherano in that position; I suggested De Jong.

I almost got laughed off the Forum.

My solution is easy. A massive bid for Ramos in the summer with Nastasic and Rekik as back up. This season, mix and match as best as Mr P sees fit.

Anyone else think that in a couple of years time, yaya could drop back to centreback, I think him and kompany would be the most dominant centreback pairing in world football for a few years

Dicko69 said:
Anyone else think that in a couple of years time, yaya could drop back to centreback, I think him and kompany would be the most dominant centreback pairing in world football for a few years

Yaya himself has said he sees himself ending his career at CB so possibly yes

Davs 19 said:
Dicko69 said:

Yaya himself has said he sees himself ending his career at CB so possibly yes

Can't see it in the short term, he offers too much going forward, but I remember him playing centre half against the shite in the Champions League final, and he was excellent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.