Solution at Centre Back

mansour's tow ropes said:
shemnel said:
Kippax Street 1880 said:
Was just going to post this, in case people have forgotten we are the richest club in the world. We don't need to try converting crock midfielders to centre half to solve a problem. Benatia is mustard. Had a little scout watching the Rome derby on BT and he didn't put a foot wrong. He is very similar to VK , especially in the way he carries the ball from the back with driving runs.

I always thought Ashley Williams at Swansea is a great centre half. We should go for him as he has Prem experience & is genuinely pretty good.

Is he better than what we've got?

Based on what I've seen then yes, although he hasn't been tested at the top level. (I'm talking about Benatia not Ashley Williams (WTF ?))

I wouldn't put Richards anywhere near that position. He made Richard Dunne look like a world class defender because he put him under so much pressure. Richards can barely defend from right back. He generally just trotts about with a smile on his face much like Bambi.

The solution to the centre back position is not within the club if we remain to play a high line. It requires someone quick, alert and strong. Demichelis, nope. Nastasic, nope, Lescott - well I think he would be the best option actually. Pellegrini also wants players that are comfortable with the ball at feet and can quickly pass forward. Lescott is clearly lacking in this respect.

shemnel said:
Kippax Street 1880 said:
Was just going to post this, in case people have forgotten we are the richest club in the world. We don't need to try converting crock midfielders to centre half to solve a problem. Benatia is mustard. Had a little scout watching the Rome derby on BT and he didn't put a foot wrong. He is very similar to VK , especially in the way he carries the ball from the back with driving runs.

I always thought Ashley Williams at Swansea is a great centre half. We should go for him as he has Prem experience & is genuinely pretty good.

Is he better than what we've got?

i think he's definitely better and could form a rotating 3 with Nasty and VK. Obviously no-one else agrees! haha

Looks like I'm on my own with the Richards shout then! ;-)

Everyone seems to agree that the centre halves we do have aren't quite right for the way we play.

I think Nastasic is an incredible talent and will go on to be one of Europe's top defenders. Pains me to say it but I can't see him doing it for us in the way we play though.

Lescott was a colossus in the title winning season, but again I just don't think he's quick enough, or good enough on the ball for the way we play.

Of the established centre back we have it's probably DeMichelis being the best of a bad bunch, but he's far from ideal!

I'm afraid you will be on your own with Richards at centre back. He's good in the air but his positional sense is woeful - don't honestly see a future for him at City.

Bluep*ss said:
Rammy Blue said:
I think Dzeko would make a decent centre back - he's tall, great in the air, good touch, excellent passer and pretty quick over the ground.

Quite a few on here would not agree with you. especially the good touch.
A few years back Micah and Dunne were getting all the accolades as the best duo in the Prem.

interesting ill try him on pro evo:)

Shaelumstash said:

Everyone seems to agree that the centre halves we do have aren't quite right for the way we play.

I think Nastasic is an incredible talent and will go on to be one of Europe's top defenders. Pains me to say it but I can't see him doing it for us in the way we play though.

Lescott was a colossus in the title winning season, but again I just don't think he's quick enough, or good enough on the ball for the way we play.

Of the established centre back we have it's probably DeMichelis being the best of a bad bunch, but he's far from ideal!
i wouldn't say they're a bad bunch, but there again I wouldn't say DeMichelis was the best of them either.

i kne albert davy said:
Shaelumstash said:

i wouldn't say they're a bad bunch, but there again I wouldn't say DeMichelis was the best of them either.

I meant bad bunch in terms of playing a high line. I think there's only Kompany who's game it suits. Lescott and Nastasic looked far better when we played a deeper line. They're both great centre halves and have been excellent for us in the previous two seasons, but the way we play now just doesn't suit their game.

It's an interesting idea Rodwell at centre half but I don't think it will happen, I just don't think Pellegrini thinks he's any good.

And the centre we need alongside VK has to be a world class defender, for me Rodwell won't fill this void anytime soon

Pity he's had so many injury problems, maybe earlier in the season it could have been tried in some games - We're at the business end of the season now and games are too important, like you say I don't think Pellegrini rates him highly enough to test him at centre back now ....

For those who would want City to buy Williams, do you see him as a squad player or a starter? Personally, I think you should be getting somebody a lot better than that. I've seen on a number of occasions where his positioning has been poor and his bravery has been utterly dire and has chosen to go in for a high ball with his foot rather than chest or head. I remember watching the Swansea vs United game last season where this was made evidently clear as they conceded a number of goals in the game and some were as a direct result of Williams' mistakes.

Never seen the lad play but Mangala seems to be getting rave reviews, no doubt a high proportion of those from people just jumping on the bandwagon. If you want, we could offer you Coates for a bottle of coke and a pack of pork scratching's haha?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.