sort the pitch out.

bluebrickroad said:
Hihosilva said:
bluebrickroad said:
I am lead to believe that presently all Premier League pitches are exactly the same size.

No.
Manchester City currently have the largest pitch size 116.5 x 78 yards & West Ham have the smallest at 110 x 70 yards.

I bow to your superior knowledge Hihosilva and thanks for correcting me.

In future, before I commit my fingers to the keyboard, I promise to do some research on the subject I am attempting to discuss. ;)
You can easily compare pitch width. Penalty box always 44 yards wide and the 10 yard tick marks from the corners give something like 5 yards from box edge to tick.
Tick close to box equals narrow pitch.
QI eat your heart out.
I earn a fortune making after dinner speeches.

PL Pitch Sizes

It seems there are quite a few discrepancies regarding pitch size, as various references use the actual size of the pitch (including side run-off and behind goal areas), rather than the playing area.

Here are the actual playing areas as submitted by the clubs to the Premier League handbook :-

All the following clubs have a playing area of 105m long x 68m wide (7140 sq. m)

Man City, Rags, Arsenal, Newcastle, Southampton, West Brom, Swansea, Sunderland, Aston Villa, Norwich, Cardiff.

The clubs with smaller playing areas are :-

2. Chelsea, 103m x 67.5m = 6952.50 sq. m
3. Liverpool, 101m x 68m = 6868 sq. m
4. West Ham, 100.58m x 68m = 6839.44 sq. m
5. Everton, 100.48m x 68m = 6832.64 sq. m
6. Hull City, 100.3m x 68m = 6820.4 sq. m
7. Spurs, 100m x 67m = 6700 sq. m
8=. Stoke City, 100m x 66m = 6600 sq. m
8=. Crystal Palace, 100m x 66m = 6600 sq. m
9. Fulham, 100m x 65m = 6500 sq. m

Sheikh Rattle n Roll said:
Carver said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
I noticed that there was a bit of threadbare-ness around the corner down by CB and SS. I put it down to all the times Navas has been tempting defenders to dive in!!

I think they only have to get the sewing machine out again to make it the green sward it normally is at the beginning of the season.

Some of the "Rewind" videos show how pitches have come on since the seventies and eighties. The Swamp must be the only PL pitch that has retained its 80's credentials.

The swamp is a damn site better this season because they have got rid of the pitch that they had and installed a Desso, similar to City's pitch and installed at many of the World's leading stadia. They had the same kind of pitch that also gave problems at Wembley before this was also replaced with a Desso Grassmaster pitch. I don't know what it is with those fuckers, they always have to do their own thing, know better than anyone else.

Must be the secret of why their home form is shite, teams are going to the swamp and finding a modern premier league football pitch instead of something that is a throwback to 1979.

City led the way with under-soil heating at Maine Road. I recall there was many occasion in the late 70's early 80's when ITV and BBC would rush to get the cameras to Maine Road in the winter for Match of the Day and The Big Match, knowing that a City home game would not be postponed because of snow and ice.

The Rags eventually caught on with under-soil heating, but had to choose a system all of their own, an electric one I recall, which totally fucked up their pitch even more!

That's right! But the really funny thing was that in one game the pisshead robson ran slap bang into a big metal box, that run the bag of shite system, and broke his collar bone he was out for weeks.
Laughed my fekkin head off at that and just did again when I remembered it!

From the 2013-14 season Premier league pitch size has been standardised at 115 x 68m, which is also the UEFA standard size.
Clubs must make their pitch this size unless it is impossible to do so and they had to apply to the FA premier league for an exemption.

You will notice that the stadia with small pitches are all old.
It surprises me that Chelsea didn't have the foresight or to leave sufficient room when they rebuilt their ground in the 1990's, particularly as they used to have a running track around the pitch and the ends in particular were a long distance from the pitch. Did they consult with UEFA as to what future requirements would be and did UEFA already have ideal dimensions at the time?

The FA handbook was published before the season started. Those that were willing to comply gave the new dimensions immediately.
As it went to press I'm sure that Stoke and maybe Hull were still arguing the toss and it's possible that they were made to comply.

The others that couldn't comply were asked to make their pitches as big as they could, some of the run off areas are quite small.
You will notice that some grounds have gone to 68m wide and there is very little run off.

Yes, I remember the shite electrical system at the swamp and the balloon thingy that they had at Chelsea

Hihosilva said:
bluebrickroad said:
Hihosilva said:
When the academy is open they will most likely stop training at the stadium as the first team training pitches will be identical in size.

I am lead to believe that presently all Premier League pitches are exactly the same size.

No.
Manchester City currently have the largest pitch size 116.5 x 78 yards & West Ham have the smallest at 110 x 70 yards.

Lee Jackson is my brother and he's asked me to mention this previously, all pitches have to be same size.

Carver said:
From the 2013-14 season Premier league pitch size has been standardised at 115 x 68m, which is also the UEFA standard size.
Clubs must make their pitch this size unless it is impossible to do so and they had to apply to the FA premier league for an exemption.

It surprises me that Chelsea didn't have the foresight or to leave sufficient room when they rebuilt their ground in the 1990's, particularly as they used to have a running track around the pitch and the ends in particular were a long distance from the pitch. Did they consult with UEFA as to what future requirements would be and did UEFA already have ideal dimensions at the time?

The FA handbook was published before the season started. Those that were willing to comply gave the new dimensions immediately.
As it went to press I'm sure that Stoke and maybe Hull were still arguing the toss and it's possible that they were made to comply.

The others that couldn't comply were asked to make their pitches as big as they could, some of the run off areas are quite small.
You will notice that some grounds have gone to 68m wide and there is very little run off.

Yes, I remember the shite electrical system at the swamp and the balloon thingy that they had at Chelsea
Slight typo there, should be 105m x 68m.

ColinLee said:
Carver said:

Slight typo there, should be 105m x 68m.

Oops, Ta.
We could do with that extra 5m of turf behind each goal so that Yaya has room to slow down after one of his 'steam train' runs. As soon as he won the ball back for his goal today I was shovelling coal as fast as possible.

Had to laugh on way home from the match yesterday. Was listening to Jimmy Wagg and Shaun Goater on BBC Radio Manchester. They were amazed to look out onto the pitch during the after game phone in to see that whilst they hadn't been looking the ground staff had erected what could only be described as a greenhouse with lighting over the goalmouth area in front of the north stand to repair the worn patches.
Jimmy Wagg said that that is what you can do when you have money and that back in the day a groundsman would have gone over to the patch and scattered a handful of grass seed on it and then walked off hoping that the sun would shine for the next couple of days. It made me laugh.
Here is a pic of it that they put on Facebook.
1607035_10151983647039965_1240811689_n.jpg

Had to laugh on way home from the match yesterday. Was listening to Jimmy Wagg and Shaun Goater on BBC Radio Manchester. They were amazed to look out onto the pitch during the after game phone in to see that whilst they hadn't been looking the ground staff had erected what could only be described as a greenhouse with lighting over the goalmouth area in front of the north stand to repair the worn patches.
Jimmy Wagg said that that is what you can do when you have money and that back in the day a groundsman would have gone over to the patch and scattered a handful of grass seed on it and then walked off hoping that the sun would shine for the next couple of days. It made me laugh.
Here is a pic of it that they put on Facebook.
1607035_10151983647039965_1240811689_n.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.