sound box thingys

OK with the original set up mentioned on post 20 to enable sound on Amazon you had to press the TV button from the HDMI button and now we don't.So now we have HDMI to TV and TV to sound bar via optical thus eliminating one of the HDMI cables.

But here is the crux and what do you all think ? By utilizing this format would we get substandard sound on the sky audio than if we used both HDMI cables "and" the optical cable.Not bothered about the mither swapping on the remote from HDMI to TV if the output is enhanced.I was under the impression HDMI was better than optical cables for sound that emanated from high-resolution audio formats like Bluerays or ultra HD programs.

OK with the original set up mentioned on post 20 to enable sound on Amazon you had to press the TV button from the HDMI button and now we don't.So now we have HDMI to TV and TV to sound bar via optical thus eliminating one of the HDMI cables.

But here is the crux and what do you all think ? By utilizing this format would we get substandard sound on the sky audio than if we used both HDMI cables "and" the optical cable.Not bothered about the mither swapping on the remote from HDMI to TV if the output is enhanced.I was under the impression HDMI was better than optical cables for sound that emanated from high-resolution audio formats like Bluerays or ultra HD programs.

The audio from Amazon, Netflix or Sky will be 5.1 digital surround sound and as such the optical is fine.
You are correct for hi def audio you'll need hdmi

Has anyone ever tried any of the those sound projector soundbars? I find it odd that they haven't become mainstream yet as they've been around a while.

https://www.whathifi.com/promoted/yamaha-sound-projector-soundbar

I've not yet heard one in person but the technology seems logically the way forward.
I was reading up on one of those last night.
We're moving house and I'm thinking about getting rid of all my speakers, amp, pre amp, sub etc for something a lot neater, and spent some time researching this particular one.
Need to find a place where I can have a demo.

The audio from Amazon, Netflix or Sky will be 5.1 digital surround sound and as such the optical is fine.
You are correct for hi def audio you'll need hdmi

OK HellYeah and thanks for confirming mate so doing it the other way by going sky box to TV and then optical from TV to box would negate the switching and give audio sound on both through the optical channel allowing 5.1 which is a perfectly acceptable output.But in order to receive high def audio we would need to channel the sound through the HDMI cabling.So what we have just done is compromised and gone with both HDMI leads and the optical via sky to soundbar and TV to sound bar with HDMI and also the optical from TV to soundbar.Yes we have to change manually from HDMI to TV to watch Amazon through the optical but this allows us to watch Sky through the HDMI channel offering high def audio when available.I get all that really I do but am still perplexed as to why Amazon or Netflix et all will only work through optical ? My head is going to blow.

4RSuZ8X.gif

Last edited:
I was reading up on one of those last night.
We're moving house and I'm thinking about getting rid of all my speakers, amp, pre amp, sub etc for something a lot neater, and spent some time researching this particular one.
Need to find a place where I can have a demo.
Update the thread if you end up getting one. ;)

OK HellYeah and thanks for confirming mate so doing it the other way by going sky box to TV and then optical from TV to box would negate the switching and give audio sound on both through the optical channel allowing 5.1 which is a perfectly acceptable output.But in order to receive high def audio we would need to channel the sound through the HDMI cabling.So what we have just done is compromised and gone with both HDMI leads and the optical via sky to soundbar and TV to sound bar with HDMI and also the optical from TV to soundbar.Yes we have to change manually from HDMI to TV to watch Amazon through the optical but this allows us to watch Sky through the HDMI channel offering high def audio when available.I get all that really I do but am still perplexed as to why Amazon or Netflix et all will only work through optical ?
My head is going to blow.

4RSuZ8X.gif

Are you using Sky Q or Sky HD, as I think sky hd only uses Dolby Digital 5.1

You have to remember that hdmi is one way (unless you use arc).
With Sky to sound bar to TV via 2 x HDMI, then you use Prime or netflix on your TV the audio will not go back down the HDMI to the sound bar, unless you can get arc to work.
This is not a prime or netflix issue, its a hdmi/tv/soundbar issue

I think you've complicated your set up when you don't need to. Just go with sky to TV with hdmi then optical to soundbar

Last edited:
I don't think Sky use hi def audio as far as I know. You'll only get that via blu ray

You have to remember that hdmi is one way (unless you use arc).
With Sky to sound bar to TV via 2 x HDMI, then you use Prime or netflix on your TV the audio will not go back down the HDMI to the sound bar, unless you can get arc to work.
This is not a prime or netflix issue, its a hdmi/tv/soundbar issue

Thanks mate for your help it's appreciated.I was thinking of the ultra high definition outputs from Sky utilizing the sky Q2 on the ultra hd channels.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.