South American talent

Meanwhile, five months later... ;-)

But I think your post supports mine: that is, being so sure a player would start for City or Barca based solely on their performances in Brazil is foolhardy.
Boom! "He's Better than Gundogan already" claimed somme clueless fan :)

Boom! "He's Better than Gundogan already" claimed somme clueless fan :)
I’ll never understand the YouTube scout crowd. He could very well be a world beater, but he is just as likely (if not more likely) to be another prodigious Brazilian player that doesn’t live up to his potential in a more competitive league (and significantly different environment). The point we were all making is that there was absolutely no evidence that he was “better than Gundogan” or would “start for City or Barca”. And definitely none for him being “exceptional 100% of the time”, which is a ludicrous statement.

The fact that so much of discussion and debate—regarding both football and the world-at-large—resides in the realm of hyperbole and baseless assertions is frightening.

I’ll never understand the YouTube scout crowd. He could very well be a world beater, but he is just as likely (if not more likely) to be another prodigious Brazilian player that doesn’t live up to his potential in a more competitive league (and significantly different environment). The point we were all making is that there was absolutely no evidence that he was “better than Gundogan” or would “start for City or Barca”. And definitely none for him being “exceptional 100% of the time”, which is a ludicrous statement.

The fact that so much of discussion and debate—regarding both football and the world-at-large—resides in the realm of hyperbole and baseless assertions is frightening.

It’s not totally baseless assertions though. Yes, there’s the YouTube experts, the FIFA experts, the scouting from FM experts and they all have at least some value. How little value is subjective. What you can do is take up what you’ve gathered, take into account what others who know more about the player have said, do your own research, trust that the staff has done its due dilligence and then make your own subjective opinions and speculations.

I’ll give you Gabriel jesus for example...dream signing for me. I sought out info, discussed via PM opinions on him here with posters who watch the Brazilian League and who I respect and then started watching a few palmerias games, the Olympics, etc. We happened to sign him and I would have started him over Kun from day one...that’s how confident I was and he’s turned out just as well as I imagined...maybe even a little worse. Still think he has a lot to show. All of this simply because I heard he was a phenom on football manager back in 2015 and started watching clips.

In the case of Lucas Paqueta it could be much the same. The same posters I respect and who watch every flamengo game have said he’s the real deal. you combine everything you know and if the club is after him then you can be sure he’ll have a great chance at living up to expectations.

It’s not totally baseless assertions though. Yes, there’s the YouTube experts, the FIFA experts, the scouting from FM experts and they all have at least some value. How little value is subjective. What you can do is take up what you’ve gathered, take into account what others who know more about the player have said, do your own research, trust that the staff has done its due dilligence and then make your own subjective opinions and speculations.

I’ll give you Gabriel jesus for example...dream signing for me. I sought out info, discussed via PM opinions on him here with posters who watch the Brazilian League and who I respect and then started watching a few palmerias games, the Olympics, etc. We happened to sign him and I would have started him over Kun from day one...that’s how confident I was and he’s turned out just as well as I imagined...maybe even a little worse. Still think he has a lot to show. All of this simply because I heard he was a phenom on football manager back in 2015 and started watching clips.

In the case of Lucas Paqueta it could be much the same. The same posters I respect and who watch every flamengo game have said he’s the real deal. you combine everything you know and if the club is after him then you can be sure he’ll have a great chance at living up to expectations.
You’ve just described what most of us on here do and there is nothing wrong that. But most of us will still not make ridiculous assertions like those I quoted (and there were more), as those are baseless assertions (what evidence, from said research, would you have for any of them?). They are at best opinions, but some insist on arguing them as unasailable fact. I have had many debates with amateur football scouts and, for every Salah or Mahrez, there are three Alfonso Alves (many posters on here and several colleagues in the office were absolutely convinced he would be the next great Brazilian forward). And two or three Paulinhos.

You’ve just described what most of us on here do and there is nothing wrong that. But most of us will still not make ridiculous assertions like those I quoted (and there were more), as those are baseless assertions (what evidence, from said research, would you have for any of them?). They are at best opinions, but some insist on arguing them as unasailable fact. I have had many debates with amateur football scouts and, for every Salah or Mahrez, there are three Alfonso Alves (many posters on here and several colleagues in the office were absolutely convinced he would be the next great Brazilian forward). And two or three Paulinhos.

Ok we’re on the same page here then. Yeah, some knuckleheads you can’t reason with and are set in stone. We’re fortunate now in that we have Pep so any of these phenoms we might end up signing are as close to a lock as it gets. For me, I try to look at it as a level system. Does he look good in the clips? Check. Can I get a few games in watching him? Check. Do people I respect rate him? Check. Are we linked? Check. Did Pep actively try to sign him? If that’s the final check then you can take it to the bank that the Sanes, Jesus, possibly Paqueta/De Ligts are ready for the big time.

A more efficient and effective way to identify South American (particularly Brazilian) talent might be to keep a close eye on players Shakhtar are negotiating for and then nip in to beat them to it! Much the same as the Rags, seemingly, do with us! Only (half-) joking, but they do seem to have a some very shrewd scouts out there.

Brazilians are nice adapted to the ukrainain league, Shakhtar have produced many good players that have come from Brazilian League, like Alex Texeira, Jadson, Willian, Douglas Costa, Bernard, Fred and also Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Brazilians are nice adapted to the ukrainain league, Shakhtar have produced many good players that have come from Brazilian League, like Alex Texeira, Jadson, Willian, Douglas Costa, Bernard, Fred and also Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Crazy that Henrikh Mkhitaryan hasn't been capped by the selecao yet! Wonder why not??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.