Southampton (A) - Carabao Cup | Post Match Thread

Firstly, you have to give some credit to Southampton. They didn't sit back - and God knows I effin' hate bus parking teams - they went after us from the first minute. Sometimes it worked for them and sometimes it didn't, but they had a go. You can't say they didn't deserve it. Their two goals, for me, were excellent. They outplayed us. You hope there is now a reaction from us on Saturday.....like a lot of us I'm struggling to know why we're like this at times. It's happening more often than normal this season. Is it fatigue? A one off? World Cup? There's no doubt some players are really off their game and need to get their mojo back. We're not clicking for whatever reason, but let's see what happens on Sat. Well played Southampton.

Title after Title, Sucess and more Sucess. Do I respect him? Yes, do I like him No, if i wanted to watch slow build-ups and anti-climatic finishes id watch Chess.

it's what comes with having the best manager ? sometimes they see the bigger picture and hold back the team,
we think we turn up and win every game, even in the league cup, but that comes at a cost later in the season if the manager plays his best 11 all the time,

I hate to see Manchester city lose any game, but love the winning of titles and FA cups even dare I say Champions League and the parades on open-top bus tours in the summer, all because we did not win away to Southampton in the league cup

what has happened to Cancelo......
He seems massively prone to introspection to me and that fuck up at Anfield seems to have destroyed his confidence. He’s so bad at the moment Pep can’t even really play him out of the slump. He’s going to have to snap himself out of it and quickly.

Just did a quick check on Google maps. St Mary's to Piccadilly Gardens, the fastest route by road (with tolls) is 4 hrs and 12 minutes. Without tolls, it's 4 hrs and 47 minutes. So it's going to be around 2-3 a.m when they get back home (depending how quick they got away from the area surrounding St Mary's). Ladies and gents, I doff my cap to you. You didn't deserve what was served up this evening.
I had a chance to go as my mate had a spare ticket, couldn't get the time of work and am on a night shift tonight. Bit of a godsend to be honest, because I would be spitting blood If I was sat on that coach now.

dads-were-doomed.gif
Only grin of the day was the Bluemoon Forum thread pulled .. Has Pep been shagging Palmers Mum.

4xyrcv8.jpg

Last edited:
I think we are all genuinely shocked by that performance tonight , a real eye opener tbh , but I’ll say this , just maybe we are suffering a genuine World Cup hangover , just maybe the lads are genuinely fucking burnt out , they will all know the fixture list ahead , Kev was sulking all the way through the World Cup for one. I’d expect a genuine real big improvement on Saturday with pride kicking in. We played a real energetic hungry young team tonight who haven’t the fixture list we have had, I’d be shit scared if I was Lampard watching that Southampton performance tbh.
Team for Sunday has to be -
Ederson
Walker , Diaz, Stones , Aki
KDB , Rodri , Gundogan
Foden, Haaland , Mahrez

Grealish needs a wake up call to get anywhere near this side , I’d sell Cancelo tomorrow, pineapple fatty will only ever be Rodri’s suitcase carrier.

Firstly, you have to give some credit to Southampton. They didn't sit back - and God knows I effin' hate bus parking teams - they went after us from the first minute. Sometimes it worked for them and sometimes it didn't, but they had a go. You can't say they didn't deserve it. Their two goals, for me, were excellent. They outplayed us. You hope there is now a reaction from us on Saturday.....like a lot of us I'm struggling to know why we're like this at times. It's happening more often than normal this season. Is it fatigue? A one off? World Cup? There's no doubt some players are really off their game and need to get their mojo back. We're not clicking for whatever reason, but let's see what happens on Sat. Well played Southampton.
Spot on.

Ortega, 4 - Beaten at his near post for the opener, caught miles off his line for the 2nd

Cancelo, 3 - Horrendous tonight, he's always bad at RB but seems to be in some kind of sulk since the World Cup
Walker, 4 - Not his fault, why did Pep play him at CB? Has he ever played there for us before?
Laporte, 6 - Well he didn't really do anything wrong, so...
Gomez, 2 - It's over for him, getting worse with every game he starts and is costing us more and more

Phillips, 3 - Clearly unfit and really needs to get up to speed or else he won't be featuring much before May/June
Gundogan, 5 - Clumsy sometimes but at least tried to get things moving through the middle
Foden, 4 - One step forward and two steps back for him this week, get him back on the RW, Pep

Grealish, 5 - Didn't really do anything wrong or right, felt like he could have stayed on
Alvarez, 5 - Tried his best tonight but snapped at a couple of chances he should have buried
Palmer, 4 - Really want him to succeed here but just don't see his development, if anything he's regressed

Subs:
De Bruyne, 5 - Hasn't been the same player since coming home from the World Cup, what's up with him?
Akanji, 5 - Well he didn't make anything worse, so he leaves the game with a bit of credit
Ake, 6 - Probably our best player, which says a lot because he was only on for 45 mins and didn't do much
Haaland, 6 - Tried to look dangerous and scared Southampton occasionally but was given basically zero service
Rodri, 7 - Re-organised the midfield in an instant, Phillips is no competition right now
Not a single player who started gets more than a 2 for me

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.