Southampton (A) - FA Cup QF | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Started to read the post-match thread about Palace, got halfway through first page, shut down the computer and went to bed. A bunch of hysterical, infantile, knee-jerk reactions, with no distance whatsoever from what actually went on. Somebody even put “Title gone”!! Title gone!
The simple unvarnished truth: we played a lot of good football last night. We played our football. The one area where we were lacking — seriously so — was in finishing. Does it need to be said? Do I also need to say that I wasn't satisfied with the result?
We shall pick up that football that we play against this lot, and we shall probably finish our chances. We smashed United (yes, with no striker, unbelievable but true!). Why would we not do the same against this lot? Their recent record has been terrible.
Yes, they'll probably raise their game. Remember when we used to raise our game against United, when they were steamrollering the league every year? We did it not a few times. It's a form of homage to what we are, and what we're clearly seen as being: the best team in the league, one of the very best in the world.
There are no free lunches. Everything we win, we earn.

They've been shite in recent weeks too. No doubt that will all change come Sunday. Jack Stephens will turn into prime Maldini and they'll have Che Adams playing like Henry ffs
As long as that's Eric Maldini, who sells ice cream on Blackpool pleasure beach, and Henry is Clement Freud's dog, we'll be OK.
We're due a win against them, they can't play out of their skins for 3 matches a season against us, can they?
(Answers not required)

As long as that's Eric Maldini, who sells ice cream on Blackpool pleasure beach, and Henry is Clement Freud's dog, we'll be OK.
We're due a win against them, they can't play out of their skins for 3 matches a season against us, can they?
(Answers not required)
Five out of the last six times we've played them their has only been 1 goal in it either way apart from a 5-2 win to us. They've always given us a game since Hassenhutel took over them.
I can see Sunday being another day of trying to break down a double decker bus.

Five out of the last six times we've played them their has only been 1 goal in it either way apart from a 5-2 win to us. They've always given us a game since Hassenhutel took over them.
I can see Sunday being another day of trying to break down a double decker bus.
Quite agree. Southampton are like a number of clubs who see matches against City as their Cup Final, and pull out all the stops to try and get a result (ie, not beaten). A pity they don't/won't try this against other sides at the top, as they may even be in with a chance of winning something themselves if they put in that same level of performance.
Whilst the performance on the day may be impressive to the manager, he/she/it/them/not sure must be tearing their hair out at their inconsistency.

Quite agree. Southampton are like a number of clubs who see matches against City as their Cup Final, and pull out all the stops to try and get a result (ie, not beaten). A pity they don't/won't try this against other sides at the top, as they may even be in with a chance of winning something themselves if they put in that same level of performance.
Whilst the performance on the day may be impressive to the manager, he/she/it/them/not sure must be tearing their hair out at their inconsistency.
Exactly. Makes you wonder why they can't put that level of performance in agaisnt other sides. I watched them agaisnt Watford on Sunday and they were abysmal.
No doubt they'll set up as normal as they do against us and try get a break away. First goal is huge is always, We score first and we have them by the bollocks.
Just happy we have a gake this weekend to be honest after last nights result, Would of been a kick in the teeth having to wait three weeks to play again. At least this way we can get it out of our system.

What I hope:
Considering we face a team 9 places below us in the table in terrible form after losing 3 consecutive games against Villa, Newcastle and even Watford, we should be able to get a nice comfortable win, say 3-0 would be great.

My pessimistic expectations:
Once again have problems against this very average football team, struggle to score and end up losing on penalties (since Mahrez is only allowed to take one). Would not surprise me to see us also getting 1 or 2 injuries on key players making a bad night even worse.

That's the spirit
What I hope:
Considering we face a team 9 places below us in the table in terrible form after losing 3 consecutive games against Villa, Newcastle and even Watford, we should be able to get a nice comfortable win, say 3-0 would be great.

My pessimistic expectations:
Once again have problems against this very average football team, struggle to score and end up losing on penalties (since Mahrez is only allowed to take one). Would not surprise me to see us also getting 1 or 2 injuries on key players making a bad night even worse.
That's the spirit.

That's the spirit
That's the spirit.
Would rather expect the worst and get pleasantly surprised than the other way around. I guess you can call it a self defense mechanism:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.