Southampton (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

I'm not one for CONspiracy theories, but the refereeing & VAR decisions in the Spurs v Brighton game just beggar belief!

No one watching that could possibly draw any other conclusion than something went MASSIVELY wrong & there needs to be an urgent independent inquiry into that match!

I've NEVER seen such a string of bullshit decisions strung together in my natural?? :-/
Brighton had to be stopped from the slim chance getting that final C/L spot.
Operation keep the rags in 4th.

Much more enjoyable than the other visit of the season to St Mary's - what a contrast, definitely a case of miserable gray wet skies to sunshine and smiles.

Tricky game to begin with. The accepted way to play City seems to have moved to man marking and pressing high. Saints have the pace to make that a pain to play against. Didn't pay it a lot of attention but I think they were also having one CB drop off a bit to make it less attractive for Eddie to drop one over their largely high line.

What impressed in the early stages was how City stayed patient and didn't take unnecessary risks (one stupid moment aside), then just as the first half is coming to a close, one bit of space exploited to the full.

Second half, excellent, apart from letting one of their players do the waltz in our box.

Just keep it up City.

Just wanted to say I don’t think Nathan Ake will get appropriate recognition for the brilliant work he did today, especially in the first half when we weren’t really clicking yet.

I posted this in his performance thread but I think it is worth reposting here:

Ake had a few he sniffed out but that 1v1 situation resulting from the poor back pass and fluff from Kev was one that stood out to me.

Soton score there and the game is very different. Perhaps we still win—as poking the beast hasn’t exactly worked with us most of the time this season—but he made sure we didn’t have to come from behind by keeping his head and playing what looked a very tentative attacker in to making a mistake that Eddie could pounce on.

He didn’t go to ground rashly, he didn’t give up running; he coolly slowed and shepherded the Soton forward and made him think about his next move. He saw the entire chess board in an instant and the opposition could only see the pawns closing in.

As someone may or may not have said once, battle is won or lost in the six inches between your ears, and right now I wouldn’t trade the bits between his for any other defender’s in the league.
Personally I didn't think it was good defending, he gave him way much space and time, if he hadn't missed controlled it he was free on goal...

Much more enjoyable than the other visit of the season to St Mary's - what a contrast, definitely a case of miserable gray wet skies to sunshine and smiles.

Tricky game to begin with. The accepted way to play City seems to have moved to man marking and pressing high. Saints have the pace to make that a pain to play against. Didn't pay it a lot of attention but I think they were also having one CB drop off a bit to make it less attractive for Eddie to drop one over their largely high line.

What impressed in the early stages was how City stayed patient and didn't take unnecessary risks (one stupid moment aside), then just as the first half is coming to a close, one bit of space exploited to the full.

Second half, excellent, apart from letting one of their players do the waltz in our box.

Just keep it up City.
We've got to give that kid some credit. It was a great piece of dribbling skill then he found the pass when others would have blindly smashed it.

We've got to give that kid some credit. It was a great piece of dribbling skill then he found the pass when others would have blindly smashed it.

True enough. Irritating how team's in the lower reaches can pull worldies out against us.

I think Saints have got a few talented young players and can see them bouncing straight back if they go down. I actually hope they a great escape this season as it's not good game to go to from where we live.

Got the NOW TV day pass to watch it. The post match was that bad I switched it off. I know that Arsenal have broken through and it's a good story, but they'd just finished our game and decided that they'd discuss Arsenal's game v Liverpool. There's time to cover that game and highlight it, but not directly after our game has finished.

Most of the first half was frustrating but second half we went up a couple of gears. Well happy.

I thought our fans were magnificent today, loud and proud.
Thing with that is first goal before half time changes game if go in 0.0 then delaying tactics time outs and subs makes second half disjointed and even more frustrating

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.