Southampton (A) Post Match Thread

Yeah I think that's pretty clear, it's just a shame that we didn't see it a lot earlier in the season, I've been crying out for it for a couple of years.
Obviously Navas will never quite be the fullback we require, however what it proves and shows is that the style of fullback we require is the speedsters that can get up and down the pitch, whilst having the pace to minimise the opposition wingers getting in behind us.

He got a touch on the ball 100%

I was watching one of the streams..they showed various angles nd from the side its clear.......(think it was Sport TV 3 or something like that.....foreign commentary...they went over it a few times though i couldn't understand a word they said but the side angle clearly shows the keeper gets a touch enough to change the direction of the ball

Sane also said it wasn't a penalty and didnt appeal....Im not sure if any of the other players did (they may have done...the bench certainly did appeal)
The key point is that the referee cannot have spotted that in real time so he either chose to ignore what he thought was a foul and penalty or somebody watching the replay on screen told him via the comms it wasn't a pen.... I'll go with the former... he chose not to give it as he wasn't sure or because it's City

In mitigation the saints game last year came between two huge European games.
It was, wasnt it. Not to mentiom the saints had better players who got stolen away by Liverpool, and a better manager who got stolen awsy by Everton. Not to mention Pellars didn't have Sane or a fit Kompany.

The conditions are so different that its sad to make this about Pellars. :(

Couldn't agree more, though I think this is why pep keeps playing navas at RB though, offers a much better attacking outlet than Zaba or Sagna
Navas has been really good in that right back position. He still does all the attacking that he used to do, and has done a good job defensively. Perhaps there will come a game where he will be caught out, but now I am thinking he is a vital squad player but it sounds very much as if a move to Sevilla is all but done. I hope we keep him and play him at right back next season. We were weak attacking from right back until Navas came in. Now we are much stronger.

Suddenly with Kompany and Navas, our defence is looking OK.

For much of the game I was more worried about our forward play than the defence. Definitely need to get Jesus back. Aguero is a goal thief, a poacher, but his role in our attacking play is a bit limited. Works very hard, but not cutting through defences at the moment.

Vinny pure class!!

City Watch‏ @City_Watch 3m3 minutes ago
"If I had to work 15 years to have just one moment like this I would do." Here's what Vincent Kompany said to BT Sport after today's win.

C9ee6oiXgAEzgzZ.jpg

0 replies4 retweets6 likes
So much respect for Vinny, god we have missed. He provides leadership, gels and knits the defence like no one else can

With a record 11 away wins this season I suspect that the players are not as mentally weak as some think.

I knew it anyway but today reinforced my view that were Silva to score the 15 goals a season he should he would be world class. Sadly he is appalling in front of goal. Still a brilliant player but imagine.

Despite looking poor at times KdB has now the most assists in the PL. He basically takes the risky option more often than most but the stats suggest it's worth it.

Putting Navas at right back not the worst decision Pep will make. Obviously not a long term thing but it has been reasonably successful.

Leroy... wow what a player.

And with Vincent we look so much better defensively, but we all knew that anyway.

Overall a pretty decent performance. We put away all but the very best sides.

I'm left thinking the faith we put in managers is over done.

It all comes down to having players like Kompany on the pitch. Managers can mess it up though

Southampton tried to pinch our pocket, as so many have done this season, but failed with Vinny back. He gives the team confidence. bravo didn't have much to do, but was what he did he did well, apart from one kick. Pundits love to criticise the way City play the ball out from the back, but it helps us keep the ball and control games.
Its precisely what makes a shit shot stopper valuable

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.