Southampton (A) - Post Match Thread

We've played far worse than that this season and won comfortably, a lot of our general play was fine but simply not good enough from our front 3, they've cost us that. Sterling abysmal, all his worst qualities on display today, should have been hooked a lot sooner, Jesus at least was threatening when he came on. Foden was dangerous at times when he got on it, by far the most dangerous of our attackers but wasn't on it enough. Grealish was just there, the same as I would do with anybody else playing false 9, I give him some slack because that position doesn't favour anybody but we're still waiting for him to win us a game, never looked like doing anything.

Those wanting to blame var, are looking in the wrong places, all calls were correct.

That's not a point rescued, that's 2 big dropped points. Assume Liverpool win their games in hand, (Leeds and Palace) the gap is down to 6 then, it's 1 loss away from potentially putting it in their hands with us still to play each other. It's a poor result at exactly the wrong time, that's going to reinvigorate the scousers. Week off should re-energise, I expect us to start ruthlessly putting teams to the sword when we're back in action in response to that.
I get what you’re saying but we’ve just taken 37 points out of 39!!!

Red all day.

Ref missing the foul, in or out of the box, was poor. VAR of course can't award a free kick there but if the ref had in the first instance, we would have had a good position to have a strike at goal.
But that’s the contradiction, mate…. He clearly missed the foul initially as he failed to award a free kick, thus its a clear and obvious error he needs to review, which he failed to do… stinks

Southampton played well. Again, the so-and-sos. What a frustrating team to have to follow. Dial in a performance against the Scum or Leicester, and fight for their lives against us.

KdB was everywhere 2nd half. Eric solid as a rock. Bernie and Rodders huge again. But towering performance from the stewards going 6-1 on kids. Saved a real public order incident there. Or maybe caused one.

Our forwards have to offer more but it is what it is.

I don’t know why everyone likes looking at worst case scenario though. Would you guys prefer to be in Liverpools position or what?

On the side note, it seems our corners are poor, We had double digits corner today and last week but most were poor.

This Foden love in has to stop, he needs to up his game massively or he's never going to fulfill his potential, he's starting to believe the hype and its not helping him, at the moment I think Cole Palmer will surpass him

BIg call that.

But I agree he's not been at his best this season. Had more impact and was more dangerous last season?

Not sure why we struggle against these.
they have tactically figured out the false 9 system and exposed our lack of focal point. they press entirely differently to anyone in our league, they press more like a midtable spanish side. they don't high press at the same time they don't drop back. they block the middle of the pitch instead and prevent the ball progressing through the middle. at the same time they do not press our full backs and instead mark our wingers. the way to beat this is to use our fullback for crossing to a focal point in the middle or to directly play of a striker and have late midfield runners. we had neither today. we would have easily won today if we had a big striker in the middle in my opinion

Red all day.

Ref missing the foul, in or out of the box, was poor. VAR of course can't award a free kick there but if the ref had in the first instance, we would have had a good position to have a strike at goal.

Definitely. KDB would score from that range and also long reviews slowed our pace. We were very very good before the VAR reviews.

He was shocking
which one grealish or sterling, I remember Stirling missing a sitter put on a plate for him by Foden. Ans missing the easiest of passes. Grealish did his usual swanned around passed but ultimately created little, perhaps one day he will have a man of the match performance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.