Southampton (H) Post Match Thread

Excellent performance ,we lost concentration at the back on occasions , i think boredom was setting in at 4-1 . but Pep referred to this in his post match presser , and maybe Delph will start the derby in place of Mendy , but the offensive side of our game is simply brilliant , difficult to pick a mofm the standard was extremely high from the front six.

Yeh, stinker’s excessive on my part, but swinging at the ball and missing it, shanking it, and having the opposition work the ball (and run) in behind him several times, whilst he trod water, wasn’t good. That’s two games in a row he’s not only been our worst player, but crucially one who hasn’t looked like a Pep player either. Maybe we all had unrealistic expectations after the way he blew us away playing for Monaco, but he looks a fish out of water at the moment compared to his team mates

Some of his passing was excellent and he made more tackles, interceptions and interceptions (in aggregate) than a all bar Dinho, I think. He does look a bit like he is blundering around aimlessly at times but Pep will hopefully work his magic...

Disgraceful performance.

Didn’t Aguero boot the ball out before he actually blew his whistle?

And a masterclass in petty foul asymmetry in favour of the underdog.
Was a topic in the stand, ask yourself this.

If he kicked it into the stand before the whistle, why would he do that? He did it as he was pissed off Mason has blown.

He did it AGAIN later in the game, last thing we need to do is give shits like Mason the opportunity to give a red card.

I hope Gunn gets an opportunity there because I thought their keeper could have done better on a couple of our goals. Although he had been worked into the ground by then!

Mendy isn't performing well enough. If he wasn't all talk off the pitch then people would be softer on him but when he comes across as so cocky you expect to see him back it up but he is looking like a championship player at the moment. He doesn't look fit, jogging along like is running out of steam. And he is making too many errors.

I think yday's game was a useful exercise for the team. Pep can bollock them for a lack of concentration at 3 nil and 4-1 up. Can give Mendy a kicking and Ederson for a couple of errors. In the CL we could be coasting a game but one or two away goals would potentially cost us. Aguero was petulant in kicking the ball away which again could lead to a suspension we could do without.

Mendy is still learning. He changes the way we attack completely and for as good as Delph was last season, how often did he get to the byline and put in those raking crosses that Mendy gives us? His pace means he can recover from so high up the pitch. With Fabian, although defensively more solid, it changed how we attacked last season. He tucked in to the midfield and broke up counter attacks well, but I think we are much more threatening on our left side this season.

Mendy will learn the defensive part of his game the more he plays and understands the system.

In some respects, the places we were giving away possession and commiting needless fouls yesterday were in the exact same areas that cost us the last time ‘that lot’ came. We were cruising in that game, too, but lost the ball and failed to close down in the spaces between the full backs and wide midfielders, ditto yesterday. Should sharpen the minds for next Sunday. Similar score as yesterday would be nice...

The time he had the ball at midfield with two Soton players on him, with Laporte completely alone near our box screaming for the pass back to easily retain possession, and instead he tried to nutmeg one of their players to run into midfield, with the Soton player easily winning the ball and then them running with superior numbers at our goal summed that up for me.

I have no idea what he is thinking in those moments. It’s seem nothing but “I want to be in the ‘City Tricks and Skills’ compilation videos on YouTube this month”.
Pep went absolutely crazy when Mendy did that

Mendy is still learning. He changes the way we attack completely and for as good as Delph was last season, how often did he get to the byline and put in those raking crosses that Mendy gives us? His pace means he can recover from so high up the pitch. With Fabian, although defensively more solid, it changed how we attacked last season. He tucked in to the midfield and broke up counter attacks well, but I think we are much more threatening on our left side this season.

Mendy will learn the defensive part of his game the more he plays and understands the system.

I’m not convinced he’s actually that quick, and certainly not from a standing start. Not slow either mind, but equally not the flyer that legend has it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.