Southampton (H) | Post Match Thread

Pep said Mahrez needs to get his body fat down and train harder after the game yesterday.

Very disappointing to hear this after we gave him a new deal recently.

Two-way street.
As time goes by, I think us giving Mahrez a new deal makes more sense than I initially thought.

Clearly Pep sees Foden and Grealish as the optimal wide pairing, with Palmer getting more minutes, and that wouldn't have made Raheem or Jesus happy during what should be their peak years.

Whereas Mahrez is the wrong side of 30 now, has said he wants to see his career out with City, and isn't exactly going to demand a starting spot if he doesn't get picked that often.

I think Pep basically had a choice between making one of Jesus, Raheem, or Mahrez a squad player, getting rid of the other two. I think he's picked Mahrez because he's the easiest to drop.

Foden looked like he had a conversation with the physios when he came off… any news of an injury?

Brilliant performance that yesterday, particularly around the 55-70 minute mark we were just toying with them. At times, I thought we were just unplayable when we had the ball and no matter how hard they tried, you always got the impression we'd just move up a gear.

Cancelo was MOTM for me, he was exceptional and just tore Southampton a new one. When he's playing like that he is phenomenal. That pass with the outside of his right foot for Mahrez(?) to volley over was sensational, but he showed everything he could do yesterday.

I also thought Haaland had a great game as well and it says a lot that just got one goal! He easily could've had a hat-trick, no bother. The finish that bounced along the line was incredible and a real shame it didn't go in.

Rodri and Bernardo in midfield just ran the show. Always ready for the ball and just moving it around. In defence, Ake was superb and I'm really liking Akanji, the lad looks class. I've said it before, but to pick him up for £15m is an absolute steal. He's slotted in and looks good enough to cover for Walker as well as play in the middle too. He's great on the ball and doesn't take prisoners. I might whisper it, but at the moment I think Ake is our best central defender. I think Dias/Stones together are the best in the world but Ake is really pushing them at the moment and it's great to see. It shows what a run in the team can do for confidence!

As for Southampton, I thought they actually played quite well. I couldn't see why there is talk of Hassenhuttl getting sacked to be honest. He had a system, they tried to press our defence and penned us back at times. They didn't roll over at all and tried to make it difficult without the usual busparking. I like Hassenhuttl and have thought he's a good manager for a few years now. They haven't got the money that other teams have and their recruitment that brought through the likes of Bale, Shaw, Mane, VVD, Lallana, Schneiderlin and Lovren has dried up but I don't see that as a fault of the manager, it's a club thing.

Even though they conceeded 4 and it could've been more I thought Bazunu looked very good. He was quick off his line, decent in possession and pulled off a few decent saves. I don't think there was much he could do with our goals to be honest.

One tiny complaint though... I'm not a fan of making 3 changes at once. It kills the game off. We did it against United and it feels (to me) like the games won and we're done with it. I know why we're doing it, to save legs etc, but I think we should do one change at a time just to see what the impact of the sub is. All that said, I thought Lewis and Palmer did very well when they came on.

Great result and with Liverpool losing it's been a VERY good weekend for us!

COME ON CITY!!

As time goes by, I think us giving Mahrez a new deal makes more sense than I initially thought.

Clearly Pep sees Foden and Grealish as the optimal wide pairing, with Palmer getting more minutes, and that wouldn't have made Raheem or Jesus happy during what should be their peak years.

Whereas Mahrez is the wrong side of 30 now, has said he wants to see his career out with City, and isn't exactly going to demand a starting spot if he doesn't get picked that often.

I think Pep basically had a choice between making one of Jesus, Raheem, or Mahrez a squad player, getting rid of the other two. I think he's picked Mahrez because he's the easiest to drop.
Think there is something to be said about the fact that Mahrez offers something a bit different (long ball over the top, instant control, cutting in and a shot) that can be used in CL games. One of the big things about this squad is that every player gives Pep tactical options that he didn't have last year in the same way.

Think there is something to be said about the fact that Mahrez offers something a bit different (long ball over the top, instant control, cutting in and a shot) that can be used in CL games. One of the big things about this squad is that every player gives Pep tactical options that he didn't have last year in the same way.
Agree mate. This is the best squad we’ve ever had.

Does anyone know why Canchelo and Foden are either making be quiet or are you listening gestures when they score?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.