Southampton post match thread

What I simply fail to understand is why on earth City are playing with a B-team in the league when top 4 is still anything but secured.
Just so the top players have enough rest for the Real Madrid game?
Surely, it's much more important to go over there with a good result in the bag, great spirit & a team that's connecting well.
What's the use in changing 5 or 6 players every game? How will that positively influence the Madrid game? Did KDB play any better against Madrid last week because he was allowed to rest the game before? Not at all. A good flow is endlessly more important than some rest. They are professional football players, it shouldn't take them more than 2 days to recover from 90 minutes of football.
The chances of City beating Madrid after the 0-0 at home are about 20% if I'm optimistic, why risk a top 4 finish for that?

Because the manager doesn't care & if truth be known, probably hasn't all season.

The players know it & some of them know they are almost certainly leaving but not only that, they know they are almost certainly not playing in europe either, as it's almost over, so have literally no motivation other than pride/playing for the fans. Good luck with that.

So put them all on the pitch at the same time along with a bunch who are not match fit & a couple who are past it.

Great idea.

There are two questions I would have liked sky and gmr to ask pellers after the game.

1 manuel you went with 4 4 2 today what weaknesses in southamptons play this season did you see that made you decide to go that way?

His answer would have been

I think it is important we focus on what is important for us and with an important game on Wednesday I thought it important to give the other important players a chance in an important game not focus on the opposition.

2 manuel could you please name 5 Southampton players?

Who?

Made me chuckle

Once he is gone, will those players then give a shit? No. They are out of the door and they know it. Pellers can shoulder a lot of blame, but yesterday, had that team given a shit, we may have come away with something.

He could see what was unraveling before him, but what could he do. If 1/2 the team don't want to know, the other half aint going to turn it around
I do think 90% of the blame is on Pellegrini here:
1. The players he decided to put on the pitch simply aren't good enough individually in terms of quality. Just looking at the 22 names before kick-off, a Southampton win was already the most likely result.
2. If you're making it obvious that you're fielding a B-team, you can't expect the players to be 100% motivated and sharp. If they are aware that the only reason they were playing is that the good players needed a rest according to the manager for the only important game in his mind, the one against Madrid this week, you can't expect them to play as if their lives depended on it. FFS if even the manager doesn't give a crap.
3. Normally by the end of the season, you have a pretty much fixed team in place that knows how to play together and benefits from it. The players on the pitch yesterday hardly ever play together except on training. You can't hide that on the pitch when you're playing a well oiled team like Southampton.

Of course, the players should do better and should work a lot harder than they did, but an away win was never possible in these circumstances, and those circumstances were created only by Pellegrini.

The otherside of the coin is if vinny ,kun and kdb played and all were injured,there would be uproar.

The otherside of the coin is if vinny ,kun and kdb played and all were injured,there would be uproar.

Ok, so if we get beaten by Real which is a strong possibility given their home record, we have to rely on Bollocks Chops picking a team to win the last 2 games, 1 of which is Arsenal who are a top 8 side.

We have won 1 out of 15 against the top 8 teams. It matter more to me that we get in the CL next year than this fanciful hope we will be skipping back from Milan with Big Ears under Kompany`s arm

I do think 90% of the blame is on Pellegrini here:
1. The players he decided to put on the pitch simply aren't good enough individually in terms of quality. Just looking at the 22 names before kick-off, a Southampton win was already the most likely result.
2. If you're making it obvious that you're fielding a B-team, you can't expect the players to be 100% motivated and sharp. If they are aware that the only reason they were playing is that the good players needed a rest according to the manager for the only important game in his mind, the one against Madrid this week, you can't expect them to play as if their lives depended on it. FFS if even the manager doesn't give a crap.
3. Normally by the end of the season, you have a pretty much fixed team in place that knows how to play together and benefits from it. The players on the pitch yesterday hardly ever play together except on training. You can't hide that on the pitch when you're playing a well oiled team like Southampton.

Of course, the players should do better and should work a lot harder than they did, but an away win was never possible in these circumstances, and those circumstances were created only by Pellegrini.

He was never going to pick the 11 that would be starting on Wed, or do you believe he should have?

If you look at it solely from his end of the telescope. He has been sacked by the club, so any league position for him is irrelevant.

Not defending him, but looking at things from more than one side to understand why things might be as they are

It's good to know that several of those who played yesterday will be gone and the remainder will be suffering like hell when Pep gets the whole squad on a 3 session a day pre-season fitness regime in 90 degree + heat. When they're throwing their guts up and feel like they're dying perhaps they'll remember Southampton away and the total lack of effort they gave and how easy they've had it under Pellegrini.

I am not sure what I more annoyed about - this result or the effect klopp and pelle have had on my fantasy football team!

He was never going to pick the 11 that would be starting on Wed, or do you believe he should have?

If you look at it solely from his end of the telescope. He has been sacked by the club, so any league position for him is irrelevant.

Not defending him, but looking at things from more than one side to understand why things might be as they are

he was given a 12 month extention to his contract that finishes on the last game of this current season.

off the os.
Manchester City Football Club is pleased to confirm that the contract of first team manager, Manuel Pellegrini, has been extended.
The agreement, which was reached following discussions this summer, sees the contract run for two years through to June 2017.

Similar such extension agreements have also been reached with Manuel’s backroom team of Ruben Cousillas, Xabier Mancisidor and Jose Cabello.

Speaking of the news, Ferran Soriano, Chief Executive Officer of Manchester City Football Club said: "We are delighted to reach this agreement with Manuel Pellegrini who has already contributed so much to the development of Manchester City in his first two years with us and we look forward to further progress in the seasons ahead.

"This agreement allows Manuel to focus on the challenge of guiding a team capable of both fighting for domestic titles and competing for European honours."

Manuel Pellegrini echoed his pleasure, saying: "I am proud to manage Manchester City FC and am therefore very pleased to have agreed this contract.

"I have a very good quality group of players and a great team of people to work with on and off the field and at all levels of the Club.

"I am focussed on the coming season and confident that my team and I will respond to the constant support shown to us by everyone including of course our fantastic fans."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.