Southampton Post Match Thread

We were certainly vulnerable. Kompany was really really poor. It created an unease we haven't seen this season. He was done one on one twice, gave the ball away on a number of occasions and you can see his pace is suffering, he was dropping out of the line consistently.

He is getting old, in football terms.

We saw the pros & cons of VVD last night, the casual flick which resulted in an o.g. but the presence he had at other times, moreso than both Vinny & Otamendi, surely if Pep can turrn Otamemndi, who played like a brainless oaf for two years, into a relatively solid, if limited, defender, he could turn Van Dyke into an all conquering death machine.

We were certainly vulnerable. Kompany was really really poor. It created an unease we haven't seen this season. He was done one on one twice, gave the ball away on a number of occasions and you can see his pace is suffering, he was dropping out of the line consistently.

It was a poor game from him. That moment in the second half where he could and would in the past have headed the ball back to Ederson with some ease, he instead did some overhead kick style clearance that we got away with but it wasn't pretty.

Stones is proving to be an enormous miss for many reasons, not least his forward passing between the lines. That's the main reason we've played poorly recently. I've got a bad feeling his absence will lose us the derby.

The other obvious thing, of course, is that we are never ever the same team without David Silva.

Stones is proving to be an enormous miss for many reasons, not least his forward passing between the lines. That's the main reason we've played poorly recently. I've got a bad feeling his absence will lose us the derby.

The other obvious thing, of course, is that we are never ever the same team without David Silva.

Stones has been the best defender this season. I'm not sure his passing vs a back 11, would make that much difference as the midfielders were struggling to find a pass when they dropped deep.

But the improvement in his defending has been off the scale & the team looks more assured with him in it.

Soon we probably have the joys of Otta & Mangler partnership. If we get through that in one piece, the title will be a stroll one Stones is back upto speed.

cant believe all the stick Vinny is getting here, ok not his best game but certainly not the disaster people are making it out to be. Kevin/Sergio/Jesis didn't have there best games neither but I don't see the same kind of remarks about them. Hope vinny is not becoming the latest scapegoat for some fans, honestly don't believe city fans sometimes.

Southampton were quite canny in funnelling play onto our right, where they sensed Walker, Kompany, and, to a lesser extent, Sterling were more likely to surrender possession. In the first half, the passing in that area was particularly wayward. Much less so after the break.

You can still defend, without resorting to that level of shite.

And if we look at the game realistically, are Sothampton playing like that because it's 'safe' ? Are they fuck. They know we will still create some chances & are hoping we miss them.

It's that simple. They are choosing to rely on us missing, rather than play a bit more open & rely on themselves scoring.

Utter fucking shite.

Like last season against United. Our inability to hit the target allowed M. to claim his tactics of parking the bus worked.
Our start to this season showed that being more clinical works and we score from our superior shots on goal but recently I think we may be slipping and our own inabilty to hit the target is something our opponents use against us.

At one stage earlier in the season it seemed that it mattered little if our opponents parked the bus or tried to match us we scored.

Stats last night as follows:
City
Shots 26
Shots on target 12
Goals 2

Soton
Shots 6
Shots on target 2
Goals 1

Did Soton really play that well or are we just not converting our chances again ? Some great goals among the recent games but I wonder.

cant believe all the stick Vinny is getting here, ok not his best game but certainly not the disaster people are making it out to be. Kevin/Sergio/Jesis didn't have there best games neither but I don't see the same kind of remarks about them. Hope vinny is not becoming the latest scapegoat for some fans, honestly don't believe city fans sometimes.

He was again, the most important defender & made most of the key challenges which prevented them getting out.

But he did also have a few uncharacteristically shite moments like when he was skinned in our box, but if you then look at Otamendi's limp attempt at covering, it was even worse.

Vinny is on his last legs I think, unfortunately, like Zabba a couple of years ago. But he's still the bloke who stops people.

On another note. Who was that bellend who ran on the pitch? What were the stewards doing? He could have been any old loon and not one steward made any attempt to stop him until he had ran the full length of the pitch. Stupid twat. The game was being held up enough by Southampton.

I thought Vinny had a decent game. Not his best for sure with a couple of sloppy passes but he defended OK, including a fine block tackle when he was already on a yellow

He’s not used to playing two games in 3 days so I am glad Vinny got through the 96 minutes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.