Spurs’ new stadium

I remember watching a very graphic TV production called "the lump", set in the, I think, early 70s, about the way sub contractors were treated by contractors in those days, with the ending being a trench collapsing and a guy killed. It got so bad that a general building industry strike ensued (not because of the programme), the "Shrewsbury two" were jailed, and legislation brought in to regularise working relationships/payments/ tax treatments/H & S, etc.
Fast forward 40 odd years, and you can't move for H&S legislation in the industry. Both contractors and subcontractors are snowed under with paperwork, and need extra staff to cope with it. Has the pendulum swung too far the other way? There are still fatalities in the industry, but the workers now have better recourse to the law if things go wrong.

(For the last 6 years of my Revenue career, I worked on Employer Compliance in a construction team dealing with the major players in the industry. I learned and heard a lot of stories from people now in very senior management positions about the "old days" and how bad it was. They also bemoan the added legislation brought in since then, particularly H&S, as it adds to the non-building costs they have to pay for, but none would go back to those days.)

Ricky Tomlinson no less.

I remember watching a very graphic TV production called "the lump", set in the, I think, early 70s, about the way sub contractors were treated by contractors in those days, with the ending being a trench collapsing and a guy killed. It got so bad that a general building industry strike ensued (not because of the programme), the "Shrewsbury two" were jailed, and legislation brought in to regularise working relationships/payments/ tax treatments/H & S, etc.
Fast forward 40 odd years, and you can't move for H&S legislation in the industry. Both contractors and subcontractors are snowed under with paperwork, and need extra staff to cope with it. Has the pendulum swung too far the other way? There are still fatalities in the industry, but the workers now have better recourse to the law if things go wrong.

(For the last 6 years of my Revenue career, I worked on Employer Compliance in a construction team dealing with the major players in the industry. I learned and heard a lot of stories from people now in very senior management positions about the "old days" and how bad it was. They also bemoan the added legislation brought in since then, particularly H&S, as it adds to the non-building costs they have to pay for, but none would go back to those days.)
Yeah, I guess your assessment is pretty spot on, mate. H&S has probably got a bit burdensome in many walks of life, but it's far preferable to what went on before.

Yeah, I guess your assessment is pretty spot on, mate. H&S has probably got a bit burdensome in many walks of life, but it's far preferable to what went on before.

I don’t think H & S is necessarily the problem. But like the Human Rights Act, its bad name derives from the unintelligent and overzealous way in which it is sometimes policed.

I hope Spurs are punished in some way for this. It’s typical for executives to promise projects get done in time when they know full well that they won’t but refuse to be honest. I bet that they were thinking better to seek forgiveness than permission. And they are probably right unless the officials have some balls.

Not in the trade but what does a systems test involve ?
You can test things like turnstile operation, fire alarms, sprinklers, internal communications systems, public address, evacuation procedures etc individually but in a real emergency all those aspects need to work in conjunction with each other and for whatever reason I'd guess that didn't happen correctly in their system test.

It’s a huge construction project. They are almost all always behind schedule and over budget.

Spurs have no blame in any of this. Levy isn’t the one on the crane and Pochetinno isn’t driving the haulage ship over with the seats in containers.

And it’s ceetainly not Spurs’ fault that the ground failed a Systems Test last week which could put it back to November or even December before it opens.

The only thing that Spurs could have done differently is sorted a new ground out three years previously before all the EU voting shite was happening, that might have saved them a few bob.

Agree with this. A bit embarrassing for Spurs, but I think it's been on the cards for a while.

The evac test presumably needs 10000-15000 people to show up, and to do it for all stands is a long job.

If you accept the low ball bid on a major construction project you can pretty much guarantee delays/specs not met.
People still do it.
Even penalty clauses can be meaningless.
I was slighlty involved in a project coming to a close now - the contractor is liable for a £5m penalty but this has been waived as they said they'd walk off the job and see us in court if we applied it.
These are big companies doing big >£100m jobs.

I've no idea if Spurs have chosen an unrealistic bid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.