Spurs (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

We look so ordinary, it's very frustrating. Dominating possession is masking our general ineffectiveness. Play it safe, play it safe etc. the goal will come. Never really looked like happening yesterday.
Aye, as the person I was replying to suggests, I imagine what we've seen this season is what we'll see for the rest of the season. We'll batter some teams at home, we will have some really dodgy halves that we get ourselves out of the mess we've made, we'll have some really flat and dull games. We're having a bit of an identity crisis, it happens.

Not seen the game, will catch up later. From the short MotD highlights, it looked the same old story, deep defending by spuds, quick breaks, and strong pressing, ideal tactics to beat City. The same old story for us, all over the shop at the back, I don't think we had a decent defender in the side, by that I mean an orthodox out and out one. Missing someone to stabilise the midfield and someone to supply the killer pass à la David Silva or Yaya Toure.

I don't believe that. I saw no lack of effort or hunger yesterday.

What I saw was a team lacking in direction and a lack of belief in the system they were being asked to play by Pep.

Same lack of belief I had we would win the Champions League final when I saw Pep's team selection.

Pep is second guessing himself, far too preoccupied with what the opposition can do, rather than what we are capable of as a team.

It translates to the lack of risk in our general play, one of absolute control until the final 18 yards, if we can even get there.

We really only have to look at the lack of saves we ask of opposition goalkeepers these days?

It's written all over Pep's face each time the camera loves to cut to him, he's getting no help from his bench.

We have lost at Spurs, Liverpool and United.

It's a mentality problem starting with Pep.

We don't need to hear that Kane is one of the best strikers he has seen in his life, or Liverpool are the most dangerous team he has seen in his life, or United are back to where they belong.

And we certainly don't need to hear him publicly complaining about our fans, Kalvin being overweight, wrong body language in training, Chelsea spending too much money or the four hour journey down to London being exhaustive.

C'mon Pep, you're better than this. Let us die on our feet than live on our knees.

Don't cut your nose to spite your face. This team is at the end of its cycle but we can still have a dream season if you trust the players who have taken us on this wonderful ride of success.

Release the handbrake.

Bang on the money.

The few times we’ve gone ‘toe to toe’ with teams recently rather than craving control we’ve blown them away with chances galore - notably Liverpool in the cup and Spurs in the second half. Having a team allowed to go forward, allowed to take risks, allowed to make mistakes.

I’m amazed this is the same manager who has produced the most unbelievable, aggressive teams in the past. It’s dull, has been for a few weeks (pre World Cup) and he knows it. He just doesn’t seem to be bothered enough by it that he’s going to change it. Instead of rightly blaming himself he’s blaming every other fucker.

He came across a bit ‘Klopp-like’ with that train comment yesterday. Get fucked. Needs to give himself a wake up call.

He needs a strong assistant IMO, Lillo quite obviously took no prisoners while, like you said, he looks alone on the bench now.

It’d never happen but Bielsa just offered himself to Everton’s under 21 team. If he’s willing to do that, surely he’d be willing to be an assistant challenging for titles alongside a peer that he admires/admires him.

we played with more effort than normal and started well challenging for the ball, we where better than i expected.

boring spurs at hoe sat back, we havent a clue how to break these teams down and more are going to do it even at their own ground. We have the best striker around for this type of team we play, but we dont give him the ball.

we didnt deserve to come away without any points, thought sours where poor. But cant take away that we where also poor in not breaking them down as we challenged for the league which we dont seem to be able to win this season.

Bang on the money.

The few times we’ve gone ‘toe to toe’ with teams recently rather than craving control we’ve blown them away with chances galore - notably Liverpool in the cup and Spurs in the second half. Having a team allowed to go forward, allowed to take risks, allowed to make mistakes.

I’m amazed this is the same manager who has produced the most unbelievable, aggressive teams in the past. It’s dull, has been for a few weeks (pre World Cup) and he knows it. He just doesn’t seem to be bothered enough by it that he’s going to change it. Instead of rightly blaming himself he’s blaming every other fucker.

He came across a bit ‘Klopp-like’ with that train comment yesterday. Get fucked. Needs to give himself a wake up call.

He needs a strong assistant IMO, Lillo quite obviously took no prisoners while, like you said, he looks alone on the bench now.

It’d never happen but Bielsa just offered himself to Everton’s under 21 team. If he’s willing to do that, surely he’d be willing to be an assistant challenging for titles alongside a peer that he admires/admires him.
The Bielsa comment is a great idea.. Pep idolises him and he (surely) wouldn't take any shit or pull any punches

One thing I am sick and tired of is the constant rotating at the back. Ake had a superb game at left back against Arsenal, completely controlling Saka and instead of sticking with it and just putting Laporte / Dias in at CB to replace Stones, Pep made 3 changes moving Ake to CB, Lewis to LB (a young kid who has never played there before) and putting Walker in at right back. It just felt very unnecessary. Sure I read a stat that we've had 18 or 19 different defensive combinations this season, which is ridiculous. Whilst some of it is forced due to injuries, some of that isn't forced and is tinkering for tinkerings sake. The one constant seems to be Akanji and I'd argue he's the weakest of all our CBs.

Pep needs to stop messing about and just stick with a backline for the rest of the season. I'm really not sure what Laporte and Dias have done but it does seem very strange that neither of them have played much recently. Dias especially hasn't had a look in since his injury.

The problems in midfield are obvious and that won't be solved until the summer until we buy younger, more dynamic players, but we have enough CBs to not make this more of a team problem with inconsistent teams selections.
We conceded 26 goals in total last season
Already conceded 20 this year
That tells its own story
Walker Laporte Dias and Ake for the next 10 league games. Give Rico a rest, he has been overplayed and that tactic has been sussed by both Arsenal and Spurs now

The change in the way we play this season compared with previously is so fundamental it has to be deliberately tactical. Pep wouldn't and shouldn't explain what he is up to but, by Heaven, I wish I could find out to stop me wondering. Still, in Pep we trust.

The team is being sent out to fight with a hand tied behind their back. We trusted them to win us the league with 20 minutes left 2-0 down so surely we can trust them to go toe to toe with our rivals. I don’t recognise this city team. It’s passive and we’re normally the complete opposite

We conceded 26 goals in total last season
Already conceded 20 this year
That tells its own story
Walker Laporte Dias and Ake for the next 10 league games. Give Rico a rest, he has been overplayed and that tactic has been sussed by both Arsenal and Spurs now

The goals we are conceding are not worldies where you can hold your hands up and say ‘nothing you could do about that’. It’s concentration and not doing the basics that are leading to mistakes. How many goals do we give away from misplaced passes where we are camped in the other teams half and they counter us? Our quickest defender is 32, when Stones is injured we don’t have any leaders at the back who’s going to organise the back line and get into people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.