Spurs (A) Post match Thread

Gary Neville made some very telling points about Spurs. The first was that they have not won the title since 1961 and, if my memory serves me well, have never looked like winning it and that no club has a right to win it ever. They won the league cup in 2008 but they have not won the FA cup since 1991 so arguing that Spurs are not having a good period is inaccurate: compared to other teams they are unsuccessful but compared to their own past it is 30 years since they had a better time. 'Arry's attack on Neville showed this clearly: Spurs had been fantastic when he was manager because they had some good players and because they had a good run against Liverpool rather than because they had top four finishes and played in the CL regularly. Spurs are doing well but their supporters are encouraged to believe that they are not by the ludicrous levels of expectation whipped up by the press. Carragher can scoff that a team cannot finish in the top four regularly on net spending of £29 million but Levy can point out that they haven't done badly so far and that Carragher's own club use the net spend argument to convince us all that their team is built on a shoestring. Much that is said about Spurs would not have been said if they had not just lost to City and City are the gigantic problem for all the PL, and those clubs which have spent most do not appear to have come near to solving it yet. Spurs could spend a fortune , saddle the club with debt which would ruin it for years ahead - added to the £700 million debt from the new stadium - an d still find that they won nothing. Neville's dismissive tone when he said that Spurs aren't going to win the title may have been ill mannered and rather unprofessional but it is hard to argue with it. At least Levy's plans for the new stadium and area around it are impressive and ambitious and offer hope for the long term future. The problem is the phrase "long term" because football is the ultimate short term experience and Levy's planning may be far too long term for the fans, many players (though have been willing to sign new long term contracts) and a manager.
I can remember my first ever visit to Bramhall lane with City in the late 80s,a midweek fixture under Machin.we were on the away terrace behind the goal
and i couldnt help keep looking at the big impressive half full stand to my right..it looked completely out of place..it was only later i worked out it must have bin planned, built ,and paid for when utd had a brief spell in the old first div ...dreams of becoming the top team in sheffield maybe....Spurs have got to be really careful here; the new ground aint gonna be chocca to watch an average team compete for the top 8..they will need to spend big on the team..which at the moment is already over- reliant upon an intoxicated keeper,a knackered centre forward and any number of central midfield spoilers...

Great result and a well deserved win, City well on course after 10 games and not out of second gear yet ... The pitch was a disgrace but City handled it well in the main... Happy as fook with those 3 points ...
The (deserved ) result is all that matters.
3pts won on a difficult pitch against a good team.
We are top of the league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.