Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

No need to apologise. It’s been a good chat.

I think what I meant is that the killer tactics of the day have somewhat shifted away from possession towards greater speed and directness.

You underrate Klopp IMO. The ultimate requirements of a manager are to beat everyone else and to use resources to best effect. Entertainment is important too, although considered optional by some managers. Pep wins v Klopp on style and sophistication but he consumes resources at an eye-watering rate. And at present - hopefully temporary - he’s lost the players’ motivation to press like demons. Consequently the dippers look much more energetic and - contrary to some expectations - haven’t collapsed on the loss of key players to injury.

It’s a dynamic situation, of course. The league is far from lost if we can rally. But it may require more of a hybrid approach as we adapt to losing our legends.
Klopp's been at Liverpool since 2015. Exceptional coach though Klopp is, it took him until 2020 to win the Prem, albeit nearly four years to win the CL. You say Pep wins v Klopp on style and sophistication. You're missing one other thing - Pep wins on the trophy count and on breaking Prem records.

Klopp's been at Liverpool since 2015. Exceptional coach though Klopp is, it took him until 2020 to win the Prem, albeit nearly four years to win the CL. You say Pep wins v Klopp on style and sophistication. You're missing one other thing - Pep wins on the trophy count and on breaking Prem records.
But (with City) Pep loses hands down in Europe.

Last edited:
But (with City) Pep loses hands down in Europe.
Some teams have won the CL when they were far and away the better team. Quite a few have needed an enormous slice of luck - Klopp rode his luck - i.e. how many games did Liverpool lose en route to the final - was it four or was it five ? They broke the record for most defeats on the way to winning it - they won it without being the best.

Some teams have won the CL when they were far and away the better team. Quite a few have needed an enormous slice of luck - Klopp rode his luck - i.e. how many games did Liverpool lose en route to the final - was it four or was it five ? They broke the record for most defeats on the way to winning it - they won it without being the best.
Ok up to a point but it’s the same with all competitions that aren’t straight knock-outs. How many times is the World Cup won by the team that’s best throughout the tournament? You might say the dippers conserved themselves and played to the rules, although I wouldn’t go that far! Luck does play a part. Us v Spurs and dippers are examples. Unfortunately, all history recognises is the winner’s name in the record book board and Klopp has the T-shirt.

We seem to do really well in the league stages, then freeze in the later rounds. It’s a bit baffling really as we’ve been a club with a winning mentality for some years and Pep has the right pedigree.

If and when we do win this fcuker, I bet it will be in a season where we’re not ripping it up elsewhere!

Ok up to a point but it’s the same with all competitions that aren’t straight knock-outs. How many times is the World Cup won by the team that’s best throughout the tournament? You might say the dippers conserved themselves and played to the rules, although I wouldn’t go that far! Luck does play a part. Us v Spurs and dippers are examples. Unfortunately, all history recognises is the winner’s name in the record book board and Klopp has the T-shirt.

We seem to do really well in the league stages, then freeze in the later rounds. It’s a bit baffling really as we’ve been a club with a winning mentality for some years and Pep has the right pedigree.

If and when we do win this fcuker, I bet it will be in a season where we’re not ripping it up elsewhere!
I agree that it will be a year when all our good fortune and not a little amount of skill combine in this competition if not others - a year when Kevin's shots go in off the post instead of rebounding out. Everything we've achieved so far has been carved out of stone - no luck whatsoever. We've never had a run in this comp when the luck goes our way - maybe this is the year. Our shortcomings now are not insurmountable. Cut out the unforced errors and up our game to its capacity in front of goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.