Spurs (A) | Post-Match Thread

Its becoming rather child like to blame a defeat on Jesus especially when the whole team played garbage, but then finish off with an oxymoron by saying "In Pep I trust"..
I disagree. It's not an opinion just in respect of one game - its over his entire time at City - and I didn't just blame him. And I also said...'trust Pep(ish)'...which is in reference to his blind spot on not playing a conventional striker. Anyway, back to the sandpit with my bucket and spade...

OK, for the avoidance of doubt, I asked you for the line ups for City vs Chelsea 2021 PL & Chelsea vs City FA Cup Semi final.

You claimed (or made out) that the reason neither Rodri or Fern were used in the final, was because of their poor performances in the previous two matches against Chelsea. I said you'd neglected to outline the line ups used in those previous two matches, which would give a better context (imho) as to why you're chatting shit regarding Gundog being used as a CDM in the CL Final.

So let's go again shall we.... Can you please give me the full line ups for City vs Chelsea 2021 in the Premier League, & the the full line ups for the FA Cup Semi Final feat: Chelsea vs City?

We both know what you're trying to do here, but I'll persevere as the hole you're digging for yourself will hopefully save you the air fare to Australia... :-|
Man on forum gives an opinion,
"chatting shit regarding Gundog being used as a CDM in the CL Final."
You are Jamie Vardy and I claim £5.

That being said, I think I am with you now actually, Pep played them in weak team (lol, 400m+ of players on the pitch) so they will do badly....which then fits his narrative of dropping them for the CL final and then ultimately allows him to play his long lost son "Gundog" at CDM, this is despite "Gundog" having never
having played in that position and certainly never having played in a CL final before.

Good work, inspector clouseau.

Ederson
Rúben Dias
Nathan Aké
Aymeric Laporte
Raheem Sterling
Rodri
Ferran Torres
Benjamin Mendy
João Cancelo
Gabriel Jesus
Sergio Agüero

Guess the game!

Last edited:
He didn't rotate though. He played those that have been playing in pre-season.

Rotation would have been dropping Mendy, Cancelo, Fernandinho, Mahrez and so forth for Zinchenko, Walker, Rodri and Jesus when they are obviously not fully fit and up to speed yet.

That is of course if you trust the professional opinion of a manager and his back room staff who have been in this game and know more than all of us on this forum put together.

We could do what Klopp does and run our first 11 into the ground and when they lose half a team to injuries you can act all surprised and bewildered about how its happened.
Okay it was not me that brought up rotation, and yes i did expect to see our best team out in the first game of the season, because as i said Tottenham are a faster fitter team so making the excuse that he picked a weakened side for fitness reasons when he could not compete on those levels, sounds senseless to me.
There is no point in telling me i do not have a voice because i am not a Professional football manager, we lost we actually played very well with the players on the field and can count ourselves very unlucky but it could have been more and if Pep would have played his first team he could talk fittest.

Okay it was not me that brought up rotation, and yes i did expect to see our best team out in the first game of the season, because as i said Tottenham are a faster fitter team so making the excuse that he picked a weakened side for fitness reasons when he could not compete on those levels, sounds senseless to me.
There is no point in telling me i do not have a voice because i am not a Professional football manager, we lost we actually played very well with the players on the field and can count ourselves very unlucky but it could have been more and if Pep would have played his first team he could talk fittest.
You expected to see our best team despite knowing Foden is injured, KDB has been in light training at best after returning from a horrible injury and Stones and Walker returning late etc. Why?

What other reason would he have for picking a weakened side if not for fitness and injuries etc. In the middle of the season we could say well X has been shit so hes playing Y but first game of the year, Pep went with those he thought were ready.

Unless of course Pep has decided during pre-season that Mendy and Ake are in fact better than Stones and Zinchenko for example and they are going to start this season?

"There is no point in telling me i do not have a voice because i am not a Professional football manager"

I don't think you get to have a voice when deciding the fitness and match sharpness of footballers who you don't know and don't see every day. No.

Everyone has a voice when deciding if Sterling should play on the left or the right or if Cancelo should play at LB because Mendy is so shit because you can use your eyes to determine footballing ability. You can't really use your eyes to determine if someone is ready for a high intensity game of football unless you have access to all of the medical data etc that Pep does.

Man on forum gives an opinion,
"chatting shit regarding Gundog being used as a CDM in the CL Final."
You are Jamie Vardy and I claim £5.

That being said, I think I am with you now actually, Pep played them in weak team (lol, 400m+ of players on the pitch) so they will do badly....which then fits his narrative of dropping them for the CL final and then ultimately allows him to play his long lost son "Gundog" at CDM, this is despite "Gundog" having never
having played in that position and certainly never having played in a CL final before.

Good work, inspector clouseau.

Ederson
Rúben Dias
Nathan Aké
Aymeric Laporte
Raheem Sterling
Rodri
Ferran Torres
Benjamin Mendy
João Cancelo
Gabriel Jesus
Sergio Agüero

Guess the game!
Finally! Now would you like me to spell it out to you as well, so you can connect the dots? :-|

OK, for the avoidance of doubt, I asked you for the line ups for City vs Chelsea 2021 PL & Chelsea vs City FA Cup Semi final.

You claimed (or made out) that the reason neither Rodri or Fern were used in the final, was because of their poor performances in the previous two matches against Chelsea. I said you'd neglected to outline the line ups used in those previous two matches, which would give a better context (imho) as to why you're chatting shit regarding Gundog being used as a CDM in the CL Final.

So let's go again shall we.... Can you please give me the full line ups for City vs Chelsea 2021 in the Premier League, & the the full line ups for the FA Cup Semi Final feat: Chelsea vs City?

We both know what you're trying to do here, but I'll persevere as the hole you're digging for yourself will hopefully save you the air fare to Australia... :-|
I've attached both teams as I'm a genuinely interested bystander. The team and set up for the league game got slaughtered pre match but in reality we could have won it if Kun remembered not to chip a penalty into a keepers hands.

The FA Cup team is far superior, maybe not our favoured 4 3 3 but a strong team I'm sure you would agree. That game was atrociously bad - it was laboured and sloppy from the first minute to the last.

We put out some teams that looked genuinely awful on paper last season which won us games but we also played our "strongest" team at points which looked poor. Pep is the greatest manager of all time in my book, a literal pioneer of football - he's changed the landscape for teams to play since he took over Barca. He makes some strange decisions that have us scratching our heads but him trying to implement a tactic in a final against a team we had lost to playing different two completely different systems should not be a stick to beat him with.

As I said previously, the CL Final was done and dusted for me the minute the final whistle went - we were outplayed by a better team on the day and that's how football goes. Tuchel is an exceptionally talented manager and Chelsea looked 100 times better as soon as he took the reins - why is it we have the rhetoric that we should have breezed by in a European final against one of the best counter attacking teams in the world? We will win games, we will lose games - we'll probably question the team and the tactics while we do both but we are so so lucky to be in our position.

I hope you don't think I'm downplaying my disappointment at our meek performance in the final but there's more that goes into a game of football in a one off final than simply saying we should have won and played one or both of our DMs in said game - we simply got outplayed on the day and that is okay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210818-105415_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210818-105415_Samsung Internet.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210818-105306_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210818-105306_Samsung Internet.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 5
I would agree with the sentiment that it's last season and over with but I'll give this a reply.

We played Chelsea in the league with Rodri in midfield - we lost. We played Chelsea in the FA Cup with both playing - we lost.

Is it out with the realms of logic that the greatest manager in the world looked at the two games against Tuchel and decided that rather than trying the same thing again, he would actually just play a complete possession type team to control the tempo and the match efficiently? It turned out to be the wrong choice but this hounding of Pep for trying something different is honestly rather boring now. As so often happens in football, if it came off he would be lauded as a genius and we would be continually going on about how great he is. In fact, if we would have played one or the other, I really wouldn't be surprised if people had a dig and asked why we played the same as other previous 2 defeats as it didn't turn out well in either occasion.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up, say the system didn't work, applaud our opponents for being better and get on with it. It appears you'll be using this as a beating stick for Pep which is completely your prerogative but fairly unfair imo considering how much success we've had, how many domestic records his teams have broken and how many times his system and tactics have paid off and ultimately changed the landscape of British football
Don't forget the reason we lost in the league to Chelsea was Sergio's idiotic penalty-kick , which should have given us a 2-0 half-time lead.

I've attached both teams as I'm a genuinely interested bystander. The team and set up for the league game got slaughtered pre match but in reality we could have won it if Kun remembered not to chip a penalty into a keepers hands.

The FA Cup team is far superior, maybe not our favoured 4 3 3 but a strong team I'm sure you would agree. That game was atrociously bad - it was laboured and sloppy from the first minute to the last.

We put out some teams that looked genuinely awful on paper last season which won us games but we also played our "strongest" team at points which looked poor. Pep is the greatest manager of all time in my book, a literal pioneer of football - he's changed the landscape for teams to play since he took over Barca. He makes some strange decisions that have us scratching our heads but him trying to implement a tactic in a final against a team we had lost to playing different two completely different systems should not be a stick to beat him with.

As I said previously, the CL Final was done and dusted for me the minute the final whistle went - we were outplayed by a better team on the day and that's how football goes. Tuchel is an exceptionally talented manager and Chelsea looked 100 times better as soon as he took the reins - why is it we have the rhetoric that we should have breezed by in a European final against one of the best counter attacking teams in the world? We will win games, we will lose games - we'll probably question the team and the tactics while we do both but we are so so lucky to be in our position.

I hope you don't think I'm downplaying my disappointment at our meek performance in the final but there's more that goes into a game of football in a one off final than simply saying we should have won and played one or both of our DMs in said game - we simply got outplayed on the day and that is okay.
Mate, with all due respect the following was widely regarded as our strongest team playing 433. Not a mix & match with other players thrown in & a change of formation, but just these players, playing 433.

Ederson
Walker
Stones
Dias
Zinchenko
Rodri/Fernandinho
Silva
Gundog
Mahrez
KDB
Foden

This is the team universally favoured & desired by City fans. It wasn't rocket science. Now against Chelsea in the League & in the FA Cup Semi Final, how many differences were there, & what formations were we playing?

Chelsea played what was considered their strongest 11 in one match, their strongest 9 in the other & they stuck tl their preferred formation. Chelsea respected who they were facing & got their just rewards, whilst City with all the changes missed the chance to wrap up the league early twice, & lost the FA Cup semi.

Let's say there were reasons why Pep didn't pick our strongest 11 for these crucial matches, but what was the reasoning for not picking our strongest, most consistent 11 for the CL Final? :-|

Mate, with all due respect the following was widely regarded as our strongest team playing 433. Not a mix & match with other players thrown in & a change of formation, but just these players, playing 433.

Ederson
Walker
Stones
Dias
Zinchenko
Rodri/Fernandinho
Silva
Gundog
Mahrez
KDB
Foden

This is the team universally favoured & desired by City fans. It wasn't rocket science. Now against Chelsea in the League & in the FA Cup Semi Final, how many differences were there, & what formations were we playing?

Chelsea played what was considered their strongest 11 in one match, their strongest 9 in the other & they stuck tl their preferred formation. Chelsea respected who they were facing & got their just rewards, whilst City with all the changes missed the chance to wrap up the league early twice, & lost the FA Cup semi.

Let's say there were reasons why Pep didn't pick our strongest 11 for these crucial matches, but what was the reasoning for not picking our strongest, most consistent 11 for the CL Final? :-|
250px-De_Jong.jpg

Ederson
Walker
Stones
Dias
Zinchenko
Rodri/Fernandinho
Silva
Gundog
Mahrez
KDB
Foden

I agree with formation and team, 100%. I have said it before and ill say it again, Pep played a DM or 2 DMs against Chelsea previously, I know you will disagree and say they weren't effective due to the other players and formation but he obviously saw something that he didn't like or didn't work. He decided that in the final he would play 10 of the 11 players you have agreed is our strongest team and try to literally strangle possession from Chelsea for 90 minutes. It just simply didn't work and again, that is okay - we can't be perfect.

I will highlight again, I was so disappointed we didn't win, I was so disappointed in the performance - I've not watched it since and I don't think I ever will but I remember clearly that our world class players could hardly pass the ball 5 yards, stage fright so to speak. If Pep didn't win then no matter who played or what formation he chose, people would do the same thing and I have no doubts about that - I'm not saying yourself but we have an element in our support that think that we should be winning every single game all season 3-0 and when that doesn't happen then the vitriol and pointing of fingers comes out but simply, it's football.

I don't mind us having a chat about this via PM mate but I don't want to clog up the thread with recycled chats about last season so I'll leave this up to others to dissect Sunday's rusty performance. Appreciate the reply though blue!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.