Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference is that, unlike Arsenal fans, we’re not being sold the lie that the new stadium will limit Spurs’ ability to operate in the transfer market. The promise and expectation is that the club can now kick on and show greater ambition. I don’t think many people have cottoned on to what a game changer the new stadium is for Spurs. This is not a bog standard new stadium. From a financial perspective, it is cast from an altogether different mould. It will generate in excess of £100m more per annum than the old stadium generated. I would estimate that that is at least double the likely annual interest and repayment costs.

"The promise and expectation..." is the bit I'm getting at. Maybe it's too soon, and I know I'm a cynic, but I wouldn't trust Levy. Time will tell. I hope for your sake it all comes good. - but not too good ;)

As for the underlined bit, that's interesting. Where is that info from? Any links, I'd be interested to read up.
I suppose there must be plenty of non-matchday opportunities given it's London.

"The promise and expectation..." is the bit I'm getting at. Maybe it's too soon, and I know I'm a cynic, but I wouldn't trust Levy. Time will tell. I hope for your sake it all comes good. - but not too good ;)

As for the underlined bit, that's interesting. Where is that info from? Any links, I'd be interested to read up.
I suppose there must be plenty of non-matchday opportunities given it's London.

No links. Just my estimates based on what we already know.

1. Naming rights, major deal to be announced within the next month or two, I believe: +£20m.

2. Hospitality sales, with an extra 5.5K seats at much higher prices: +£30m.

3. Season / General admission tickets, with an extra 20K seats at much higher prices: +£25m.

4. Match day catering revenue...to give you an idea, by halftime of the first game at the new stadium against Crystal Palace, the club had taken £800K in food and drink sales. That’s in a different stratosphere to what it would take at the old stadium. The idea at the new stadium is to make fans want to come in far earlier and leave far later. So they have increased the quality and variety of the food and drink and priced it very competitively. Additionally, they have made the concourses pleasant places to be rather than dark, dank and depressing concrete shells. And it’s working. The place is rammed up to two hours before games and still lively an hour after: +£15m.

5. NFL / Rugby / Boxing / E Sports / Concerts / Corporate events. Because of its two pitch versatility and because, in terms of facilities, it’s now by far the best stadium in town, it is already in demand for non football events. We know that It will host a minimum of two NFL games per season for the next 9 years. It has now been chosen as the venue for both of European rugby’s big finals; and Saracens have signed a deal to play one game a year there. The stadium has been lined up as a possible venue for the Joshua v Ruiz rematch. E Sports (which can bizarrely attract big crowds) are also targeting NWHL as a venue: +£15m.

No links. Just my estimates based on what we already know.

1. Naming rights, major deal to be announced within the next month or two, I believe: +£20m.

2. Hospitality sales, with an extra 5.5K seats at much higher prices: +£30m.

3. Season / General admission tickets, with an extra 20K seats at much higher prices: +£25m.

4. Match day catering revenue...to give you an idea, by halftime of the first game at the new stadium against Crystal Palace, the club had taken £800K in food and drink sales. That’s in a different stratosphere to what it would take at the old stadium. The idea at the new stadium is to make fans want to come in far earlier and leave far later. So they have increased the quality and variety of the food and drink and priced it very competitively. Additionally, they have made the concourses pleasant places to be rather than dark, dank and depressing concrete shells. And it’s working. The place is rammed up to two hours before games and still lively an hour after: +£15m.

5. NFL / Rugby / Boxing / E Sports / Concerts / Corporate events. Because of its two pitch versatility and because, in terms of facilities, it’s now by far the best stadium in town, it is already in demand for non football events. We know that It will host a minimum of two NFL games per season for the next 9 years. It has now been chosen as the venue for both of European rugby’s big finals; and Saracens have signed a deal to play one game a year there. The stadium has been lined up as a possible venue for the Joshua v Ruiz rematch. E Sports (which can bizarrely attract big crowds) are also targeting NWHL as a venue: +£15m.

Impressive figures. I don't know enough to know if you're being slightly optimistic with the figures (like I said, I'm a cynic) but the novelty of a new stadium could ware off. However, the big concern should be CL qualification. Apart from Aguero 93:20's remark about naming rights, 1 to 3 will be affected with no CL. Isn't this the time to make sure of a squad to secure it? If Chelsea come good (which could easily happen) you're fighting it out for the other place. I think you'll make top 4, but why not take the steps now to almost guarantee it?

And one more thing, the none Spurs stuff (like NFL), how sure are you that the money is going to go to Spurs and not the parent company? If they own the stadium, and especially if they say that's contributing towards paying for it...

Impressive figures. I don't know enough to know if you're being slightly optimistic with the figures (like I said, I'm a cynic) but the novelty of a new stadium could ware off. However, the big concern should be CL qualification. Apart from Aguero 93:20's remark about naming rights, 1 to 3 will be affected with no CL. Isn't this the time to make sure of a squad to secure it? If Chelsea come good (which could easily happen) you're fighting it out for the other place. I think you'll make top 4, but why not take the steps now to almost guarantee it?

And one more thing, the none Spurs stuff (like NFL), how sure are you that the money is going to go to Spurs and not the parent company? If they own the stadium, and especially if they say that's contributing towards paying for it...

The club owns the stadium. Not ENIC.

The figures are fairly balanced overall, I think. Possibly optimistic on naming rights (though the itk is that the deal is good) but possibly conservative with some of the other figures. For instance, I haven't taken into account that, in addition to being more expensive, the new stadium season ticket prices don't include two cup games (as they did at the old stadium).

As to the novelty possibly or likely wearing off, I concede the point. But where Spurs have got it right, I think is that, unlike most stadiums, the food and drink on offer is of a good standard, with plenty of variety. And also unlike most other stadiums, it is priced very competitively. Coupled with the welcoming concourses and the fact that pubs and restaurants in the local area can't accommodate an extra 25K customers anyway, I think fans will still choose to enter earlier and leave later even once the novelty has worn off.

CL qualification will always be a concern, of course. And you're absolutely right to say that Spurs need to strengthen this summer. The cracks definitely started to show last season. But Ndombele is a fantastic start in a position that we most needed to strengthen. And I'm reasonably confident that there's plenty more to come. Even if Eriksen leaves, I think we'll start next season with a considerably stronger and better balanced squad than the one that finished last season.

I'm hopeful that we'll be looking up, focusing on closing the gap to Liverpool rather than back over our shoulder, worrying about how many of the other contenders might overtake us.

Last edited:
I also think although the investment in the stadium and facilities(training ground... ours is still better though IMO) although makes them a more attractive proposition for signing players(which will still cost big money), the direct financial gains they could receive from it being touted are very optimistic shouts. They could sell off the stadium naming rights(smart) but would they get much more than Arsenal get?

Also take the figures being touted for Spurs making £1m from catering revenue per game that some journos were getting giddy about. First off that could never all be straight profit unless somone's supplying you for free. Secondly you're not getting 60k(or max capacity) every single game and thirdly, even if you were do the maths and work out how much per head would need to be spent(including the away fans) to achieve that figure. Going to a game is expensive enough, some people don't spend a penny more than they have to at a game most weeks. Or maybe that's just us northerners.

Euston to seven sisters on the Victoria line usually, as you've said its 15-20 minutes once your on a tube, usually you get on the 2/3rd one which takes it to 25-30 mins. The walk by your clubs own website is then 30 mins and 3000 steps (odd info to include ;-) ) I don't mind the walk but its difficult to get a decent pace on this one with the crowds and plod standing in stupid places to prevent decent pedestrian flow. So that can easily take an hour in total. Getting away tends to be worse with the queues to get on the tube. I am sure to could easily do in sub 40 mins when spurs aren't playing though.

If you go Euston to Kings Cross and then go up to Wood Green , there’s plenty of pubs and places to get a meal , then there are numerous buses down to White Hart Lane station , it’s about a 25 min bus ride , depending on how late you leave it .......not the easiest route back to Euston , ut a good way in

You’re calling Dean Court, a stadium opened in 1910, new?

OK.

Now I’m convinced you know what you’re talking about.

Have you been , I have twice , it’s a new stadium when they got promoted to the premiership, you might have been there before they got into the Prem, so might have historical knowledge , having played then in the lower leagues for many a year . As you know with only 1100 tickets for Away fans it’s one of the hardest games to actually get to

Last edited:
Think Spurs will be our biggest rivals next season. They have made a couple of great signings. We have a stronger squad of course and can cope with any injuries a little better. But with a fit KDB, Mendy, Rodri and the boy from Juventus ( if we do get him) all teams in the league should be afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.