SSN & City

BibbyBlue85 said:
Dodge said:
I've never really subscribed to the conspiracy theories that regularly get aired on this forum. I've always found SSN slightly too all-American showbiz, grand-slam Sunday over-hype, but I always thought we got our fair share of the limelight & probably as higher profile as the "big 4".

Then, this morning I compared the reporting of last nights American defeats suffered by us and the Rags. Both the same scoreline, both against MLS teams and both meaningless pre-season PR run-outs.

"City, with a team including Adebayor, Jo (dont make me laugh) & Wayne Bridge (reserve left back) suffered an embarrassing defeat to NYRB".."will Mancini need to get his cheque book out again"..."slumped to their second defeat on the bounce"

No mention of who was missing, no mention of no new signings playing, no mention of a starting 11 made up of fringe & academy players!

They didn't feel the need to mention who was in the starting 11 for the Rags. No snide mentions of "United, with a team including Nani, Scholes, Giggs, Berbaflop, Evans, Gibson et al", they were just unlucky (against 10 men)!

So, in conclusion, you're all correct..

..bunch of Rag loving, anti-City tossers who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

Thank you.

Add to that, the fact we pulled the biggest transfer off of the summer so far (David Silva) where we got a glimpse of him walking after his medical yet we had 3 days of Liverpool signing Joe Cole on a free! HOW?

Also Kolarov has scored some screamers for Lazio yet he signs for us and SSN show him spooning a free-kick and getting sent off.

Rant Over

....but it does go on and on - small bits of bias - to massive..

Today they are talking about Torres and him possibly leaving the scouse - they show a goal he scores - and from the many fantastic goals he has scored - real belters - which one to they show.... you guessed a straightforward header against us

Can we start bets on what SSN will report when we sign "SuperMario".

My moneys on that shirt throwing thing and a missed sitter.

What are you chap going for??

rassclot said:
Gwladiator said:
And we're the ones with the inferiority complex?

You get more coverage than any team in the country other than United.

no argument we get a load of coverage. it's the snide remarks and deliberately negative spin that pisses us off.

Spot on. I get SSN (for now anyway) on FreeView but won't subscribe to $ky sports as a matter of principle. I'm not going to give my hard-earned to an organisation that does not give City fair and unbiased coverage. ESPN is better imo and you can get it on TopUpTV without having to be ripped off by $ky.

It's all a bit more straightforward than the conspiracy theorists are making out. Being a London-based channel, SSN in the main is staffed by supporters of Arsenal (news editors), Tottenham (managing editor), United and Chelsea. Hence they're not all that keen to promote some northern upstarts that they've previously seen as being on a par with Blackburn and Sunderland who think they can just turn up and jump to the front of the queue for top players. Pretty simple, really.

Gwladiator said:

Mate, some of us blues find these threads embarrassing.

They think that the entire media, FIFA and all the referees have a monthly lunch to discuss ways of doing City down.

To be fair, all supporters of all clubs feel the world is biased against them. It's part of being a fan.

gio's side step said:
Ok, I have been bottling this up. Time to vent.

The whole thing is a fucking paradox. The people having a pop at City are the very people who have created the conditions of postmodern football. I am tired of constantly reading and hearing about the ethically problematic and immoral nature of City and the billions, the cheap way of creating ourselves as a big tophy winning club, how we will never have the 'history' of Utd, Liverpool and so on. The constant anti-city media discourse by the Murdoch press, all part of the current global elite which are intent on doing all they can to keep the status quo. It is as a result of the socio political climate which they have created, which has led to the inevitable situation which we have found ourselves in.

Liverpool fans constantly tell me, how dare we throw these millions at football and expect to be a huge club, winning trophies over night, how we lack the class of their history etc. Are these self deceived plebs really expecting a middle rank club which a title or two, a few FA cups, to suddenly appoint a scott (as they did when relegated to division 2 in 1959) and build a dynasty on a shoe string? These clubs, Liverpool, Utd etc, were a product of the 50's, and it needs putting into a socio-political context. Football was about modernity. It was about progress. But there was to a certain extent, a level playing field. Clubs had a chance. Fast forward 30 years, on the back of the acceleration of globablisation, post thatcher politics, the taylor report, BSkyB, formation of the Premier League, Champions League, Bosman era, we have gone past the point of ethical progress to a certain extent. Global capitalism has accelerated at such a rate, that the only way a middle rank club can obtain any form of power, is through a ridiculous amount of investment.

Then City come along. And provide that investment example. What is the alternative? Stay 12th like Sunderland forever? Based on the ethics of not interupting the top 4 'historical' clubs? We hear these stupd arguments, why would Torres move to a club like City? not for football reasons? Torres should ask himself, who are more likely to win the PL in the next few years? City or Liverpool? who are more likely to play CL football in the next two years? City or Liverpool? Then the argument again turns to, why would Torres join a club with no history? Its pathetic. Do these supporters, and the idiots at Sky, honestly expect an Everton with no money, a Villa, to win the PL? To constantly qualify for CL football? They might get close on occasions, but it isnt sustainable without huge investment.

All City are doing, is what is required in order to break into the global elite. Anyone arguing alternatively are fooling themselves. I empathise with the Marxist critics, I do. But when did Utd fans become Marxists? As a result of City's takeover? They protest against the very existence they have been too happy to create and support over the past 20 years. Add to that the point that these clubs have been spending these sums of money over a 10 year sustainable period, whilst we spend it in two seasons. I have given them far too much of my time today, but had to get it off my chest. As City fans, there will be some things about it we don't like. Just as there are things about capitalism I don't particularly like. But it is the acceleration of globablisation and the political football elite who have created the very conditions out of which we now emerge. And ironically, it is those who don't like us very much.

As Keegan proclaimed, I would love it if we beat them to a trophy this season. Love it!

a slow hand clap should commence after that speech!

Didsbury Dave said:
Gwladiator said:

Mate, some of us blues find these threads embarrassing.

They think that the entire media, FIFA and all the referees have a monthly lunch to discuss ways of doing City down.

To be fair, all supporters of all clubs feel the world is biased against them. It's part of being a fan.

DD, my OP was in the context of not normally subscribing to the conspiracy theorists, like you I find it slightly embarrassing. However, the reporting of the 2 games in question was undeniably biased against City, whilst dismissing the rags defeat as meaningless.

Personally, I hold a watching brief on Bluemoon in the close season as there's very little to discuss, but this wound me up so much I couldn't help myself..

You've made me feel slightly dirty now :)

Sorry Dodge. I did read your post and you qualified it well. Your point was essentially correct in my opinion.

I'm not aiming my comments at you, it's some of the "they're all rags because they showed some other players goal against City"/"Lawro predicts we'll draw he's a rag" type sentiments I'm referring to.

Did anyone watch when they "revealed" Kolarov had signed?
Now this kid can smash a ball as i'm all sure you've seen on the youtube clips... but what do they show? A free kick that went wide!

Then they showed a clip of him getting sent off for a slightly less than dodgy challenge...

+ the fact they had to throw in "paid 19 million for him. 2 years ago lazio bought him for 600k"

Funny when Smalling joined Utd for 10 million they didnt add played 12 games for Maidstone before Fulham bought him for a tiny fee and he played 13 games for fulham and Utd paid 10 million after 13 games"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.