Stadium Naming Rights / Press Conference [Merged]

Re: Stadium Naming Rights.

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/n...s-150m-sponsorship-deal-with-manchester-city/

Etihad Airways has signed a £150 million sponsorship deal with Manchester City Football Club (MCFC) to secure naming rights over the club’s stadium.

From next season the City of Manchester Stadium will become the Etihad Airways Stadium.

Etihad - which was last year recognised by the World Travel Awards as the World’s Leading Airline - already pays MCFC some £2.3 million annually for its name to appear on shirts, with the latest deal believed to be worth an additional £10 million a year for 15 years.

The deal is a significant step towards City complying with new UEFA financial fair play rules, which state European clubs can only spend what they earn.

City owner, Abu Dhabi-based Sheikh Mansour, has spent £1 billion on MCFC since buying the club in September 2008.

An exorbitant wage bill, combined with a huge outlay on transfers, has limited MCFC’s ability to comply with the new rules.

The club lost £121 million last year.

Any club breaking financial fair play rule can be suspended from UEFA sanctioned competitions.

The lucrative Manchester City deal eclipses that of Arsenal, who signed a £100 million agreement over 15 years with rival Emirates Airline in 2006.

City moved their present home from Maine Road in 2003 and have been paying Manchester City Council up to £3 million annually since, with a £1 billion planned redevelopment of the ground - expanding its capacity from 46,000 to 60,000 - already underway.

I thought the whole idea of the FFPR was to prevent a situation where a club creates a sizeable debt that it consequently cannot cover and pay off. e.g. Leeds and Portsmouth.

Surely any commercial deals no matter what their value together with other incomes to bolster the club's coffers is only a good thing.

Think that report is jumping the gun. Rehash. Wait till the Official annoucement.

BTW. City would have already consulted and shown UEFA the details of the deal.

No probalems at all.

Will we actually find out the real value of the deal, or will we have to rely on what the press think it's worth? The club will only announce the length of it, not the amount of dosh, wont they?

ok i know im thinking of myself here, but does anyone know if we will get any money off etihad flights? or if we already do?

jrb said:
Think that report is jumping the gun. Rehash. Wait till the Official annoucement.

BTW. City would have already consulted and shown UEFA the details of the deal.

No probalems at all.

you would of thought so wouldn't you but the media still think we are being run by mickey mouse sigh!

sounds like a brilliant idea to me, bring it on i hate eastlands
name tag

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.