Stag Weekend in Poznan

Arrived in Poznan today for a stag weekend and so far its been absolutely brilliant. Great vibe, beautiful women, everyone chilled out and the qeather is great. Game of football this afternoon and can't believe im 58 and holding my own where the drink is concerned.

But everyone I meet asks where we are from and when you say Manchester they ask City and its instant love. Loads of Polish blues here. Was talking to twi Ukrainian boys about 10yrs ild and asked who they supported and both said Man City so I showed them loads of photos of City games. They knew every game and every player.

They love the fact we do the Poznan and sing their name. If I was 30yrs younger......
You’ll be spannered by afternoon, just remember your hotel address

Arrived in Poznan today for a stag weekend and so far its been absolutely brilliant. Great vibe, beautiful women, everyone chilled out and the qeather is great. Game of football this afternoon and can't believe im 58 and holding my own where the drink is concerned.

But everyone I meet asks where we are from and when you say Manchester they ask City and its instant love. Loads of Polish blues here. Was talking to twi Ukrainian boys about 10yrs ild and asked who they supported and both said Man City so I showed them loads of photos of City games. They knew every game and every player.

They love the fact we do the Poznan and sing their name. If I was 30yrs younger......
A-side - Stag Weekend in Poznan.

B-side - Pleasure your Queather.

Sounds like one for the Old Skool Dance thread.

I went to Poznan when we played them. Thought it was a dreary, grey, depressing place full of 6’4” tall skinheads who wanted to kill you

I have been to Poznan a few times, the first occasion in 1991.
It is much changed since then, nowhere more noticeably than on the railway.
There is a line which runs from Poznan Glowny (central) to a place called Wolsztyn, roughly 45 miles away (via Grodzisk). Nothing unusual about that, you will probably think, except that the service back then included 2 return workings a day with steam!
My mate rang me up when the teams were announced for the group stage, Salzburg, Juventus and Poznan were the teams we would be playing. He asked if I was interested in going to any of those games?
At first I said no and left it at that.
Then a lightbulb moment occurred and a few minutes later I rang him back. "Now, I think that we should go to the Poznan game. They still operate a steam service from there you know"?
So tickets were bought for the match and 3 of us went.
Now on the first day, in the evening, we visited Poznan Glowny station.
At that time the station was full of atmosphere, gloomy and grimy but the steam loco wasn't running due to its' failure! (Fortunately it did work the following day!).
Poznan Central is much changed now, it has been refurbished and has the usual fast food establishments as you would find in the Arndale food court and a thousand other places.
The railway too has been upgraded with new trains and signalling system.
As for the match, I remember the stadium being almost full. I think all the allocation for the home support had been taken up but not quite all for the City end.
At the Poznan end of the stadium was a bloke with 2 huge kettle drums which he used to synchronise the chants from the 3 areas of the stadium where the home fans were watching. Absolutely AWESOME to be a part of and to witness.
A very funny thing happened as we were leaving the stadium after the match.
The away supporters were being chaperoned by riot police (who were in possession of plastic shields and guns) when one half drunk loon confronted them, waving his arms around and chanting, "You'll ne-ver take the Kippax - you'll ne-ver take the Kippax". Haha.

A couple of other things.
You can stay in accommodation at Groclin Grodzisk fc stadium.

There is a war memorial in a Poznan suburb containing the remains of Polish and Commonwealth soldiers, with a small section for the S.S. Poignant.

Oh, and as for the steam train.
It still runs from time to time - usually on a Saturday and if you are really lucky you might get the chance to ride on the footplate.

Lech (locomotive) Poznan - thanks for the memories.

I have been to Poznan a few times, the first occasion in 1991.
It is much changed since then, nowhere more noticeably than on the railway.
There is a line which runs from Poznan Glowny (central) to a place called Wolsztyn, roughly 45 miles away (via Grodzisk). Nothing unusual about that, you will probably think, except that the service back then included 2 return workings a day with steam!
My mate rang me up when the teams were announced for the group stage, Salzburg, Juventus and Poznan were the teams we would be playing. He asked if I was interested in going to any of those games?
At first I said no and left it at that.
Then a lightbulb moment occurred and a few minutes later I rang him back. "Now, I think that we should go to the Poznan game. They still operate a steam service from there you know"?
So tickets were bought for the match and 3 of us went.
Now on the first day, in the evening, we visited Poznan Glowny station.
At that time the station was full of atmosphere, gloomy and grimy but the steam loco wasn't running due to its' failure! (Fortunately it did work the following day!).
Poznan Central is much changed now, it has been refurbished and has the usual fast food establishments as you would find in the Arndale food court and a thousand other places.
The railway too has been upgraded with new trains and signalling system.
As for the match, I remember the stadium being almost full. I think all the allocation for the home support had been taken up but not quite all for the City end.
At the Poznan end of the stadium was a bloke with 2 huge kettle drums which he used to synchronise the chants from the 3 areas of the stadium where the home fans were watching. Absolutely AWESOME to be a part of and to witness.
A very funny thing happened as we were leaving the stadium after the match.
The away supporters were being chaperoned by riot police (who were in possession of plastic shields and guns) when one half drunk loon confronted them, waving his arms around and chanting, "You'll ne-ver take the Kippax - you'll ne-ver take the Kippax". Haha.

A couple of other things.
You can stay in accommodation at Groclin Grodzisk fc stadium.

There is a war memorial in a Poznan suburb containing the remains of Polish and Commonwealth soldiers, with a small section for the S.S. Poignant.

Oh, and as for the steam train.
It still runs from time to time - usually on a Saturday and if you are really lucky you might get the chance to ride on the footplate.

Lech (locomotive) Poznan - thanks for the memories.
It was all steam in 1971 when we changed there in the middle of the night on the way to the Gornik game. Had to spend the day there on the way back as we missed the connection to the Hook of Holland.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.