Stag Weekend in Poznan

I went to Warsaw last year for a city break but really should’ve gone to Poznan / Krakow. One day.

I have been to Poznan a few times, the first occasion in 1991.
It is much changed since then, nowhere more noticeably than on the railway.
There is a line which runs from Poznan Glowny (central) to a place called Wolsztyn, roughly 45 miles away (via Grodzisk). Nothing unusual about that, you will probably think, except that the service back then included 2 return workings a day with steam!
My mate rang me up when the teams were announced for the group stage, Salzburg, Juventus and Poznan were the teams we would be playing. He asked if I was interested in going to any of those games?
At first I said no and left it at that.
Then a lightbulb moment occurred and a few minutes later I rang him back. "Now, I think that we should go to the Poznan game. They still operate a steam service from there you know"?
So tickets were bought for the match and 3 of us went.
Now on the first day, in the evening, we visited Poznan Glowny station.
At that time the station was full of atmosphere, gloomy and grimy but the steam loco wasn't running due to its' failure! (Fortunately it did work the following day!).
Poznan Central is much changed now, it has been refurbished and has the usual fast food establishments as you would find in the Arndale food court and a thousand other places.
The railway too has been upgraded with new trains and signalling system.
As for the match, I remember the stadium being almost full. I think all the allocation for the home support had been taken up but not quite all for the City end.
At the Poznan end of the stadium was a bloke with 2 huge kettle drums which he used to synchronise the chants from the 3 areas of the stadium where the home fans were watching. Absolutely AWESOME to be a part of and to witness.
A very funny thing happened as we were leaving the stadium after the match.
The away supporters were being chaperoned by riot police (who were in possession of plastic shields and guns) when one half drunk loon confronted them, waving his arms around and chanting, "You'll ne-ver take the Kippax - you'll ne-ver take the Kippax". Haha.

A couple of other things.
You can stay in accommodation at Groclin Grodzisk fc stadium.

There is a war memorial in a Poznan suburb containing the remains of Polish and Commonwealth soldiers, with a small section for the S.S. Poignant.

Oh, and as for the steam train.
It still runs from time to time - usually on a Saturday and if you are really lucky you might get the chance to ride on the footplate.

Lech (locomotive) Poznan - thanks for the memories.
Some of the RAF great escapers are buried in that cemetery. Also nearby there is a former concentration camp which was the first one the Nazis operated. I went to it and it was harrowing but an unforgettable experience.

I went to Poznan when we played them. Thought it was a dreary, grey, depressing place full of 6’4” tall skinheads who wanted to kill you
Same here. There was a group of said skinheads all singing and drinking in that square where the pubs were if I remember rightly.

They didn't steam any of the pubs I was in but I heard that they were asking any blues outside of the pubs if they fancied a fight.

I was wasted on that trip though so I could have imagined it.

Back home, unpacked and showered and wow what a weekend. Apparently they restored the square 3 yrs ago to promote tourism and I have to say they've done a fantastic job. Its absolutely beautiful and ive no doubt will extend further as the toursim grows. That said it's still got a very strong edge in the evening that doesn't seem far away from going wrong. Some of those Poles are chiselled from granite and I'm not sure they know the meaning of a smile.

We managed some Zorba football, air soft using BB guns in some battleground of a woods outside the centre and this morning after leaving Pachas nightclub around 5am morning with only a couple of hours sleep we were booked into an AK47 rifle range. Have to say it was easily one of the best experiences ive had in years outside of City.

Although it feels like ive spent a week in boot camp with only 6 hours sleep since 3am Friday morning its been an absolute blast. Possibly should be in off topic but i was ten sheets to the wind when i first posted it so my apologies but City fans left their mark there for sure.

Back home, unpacked and showered and wow what a weekend. Apparently they restored the square 3 yrs ago to promote tourism and I have to say they've done a fantastic job. Its absolutely beautiful and ive no doubt will extend further as the toursim grows. That said it's still got a very strong edge in the evening that doesn't seem far away from going wrong. Some of those Poles are chiselled from granite and I'm not sure they know the meaning of a smile.

We managed some Zorba football, air soft using BB guns in some battleground of a woods outside the centre and this morning after leaving Pachas nightclub around 5am morning with only a couple of hours sleep we were booked into an AK47 rifle range. Have to say it was easily one of the best experiences ive had in years outside of City.

Although it feels like ive spent a week in boot camp with only 6 hours sleep since 3am Friday morning its been an absolute blast. Possibly should be in off topic but i was ten sheets to the wind when i first posted it so my apologies but City fans left their mark there for sure.
Went to 4 cities in Poland in 2023, Poznan was enjoyable, but not as good as Wroclaw or Krakow (but better than Lodz).
Unfortunately, went there last April and the Town Square (which is the main attraction really) was dug up and full of building works.
Found a couple of good bars, but wouldn't go back...

I went to Warsaw last year for a city break but really should’ve gone to Poznan / Krakow. One day.
Avoid Krakow. It’s just rammed full of tourists. Uk tourists mainly pished, ducking awful. Gdansk is a better bet. Or Zabrze, for the City connection.

Avoid Krakow. It’s just rammed full of tourists. Uk tourists mainly pished, ducking awful. Gdansk is a better bet. Or Zabrze, for the City connection.

I didn’t enjoy Amsterdam so that sounds like a good tip! Thanks.

Went to 4 cities in Poland in 2023, Poznan was enjoyable, but not as good as Wroclaw or Krakow (but better than Lodz).
Unfortunately, went there last April and the Town Square (which is the main attraction really) was dug up and full of building works.
Found a couple of good bars, but wouldn't go back...
The square is now finished, they've been doing work to restore it and bring it back. It's beautiful now. Wish i knew how to post photos, everytime i try it says the files are too big?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.