Stalybridge

Went with a few lads from Doncaster for a league game when donny were in the conference and donny came well unstuck there . Moody place
I went away Sheff Utd against City during the height of the miner's strike and coming back in the car listening to the radio it was reported that there was serious trouble at the Frickley vs Stalybridge fa cup tie. Now Frickley was a mining town, Stalybridge took a firm but the miner's were out for blood once they realised Stalybridge had brought a firm. I knew a few lads who went, and on one coach full of lads, less than 20 made it back, the rest were in hospital lol. The old bill nowhere to be seen for obvious reasons. Also a lad I knew who died young decided to get revenge by smashing the window-screens of cars parked outside the ground, unfortunately all the cars he smashed up were in an area for away fans parking lol.

Last edited:
I went away Sheff Utd against City during the height of the miner's strike and coming back in the car listening to the radio it was reported that there was serious trouble at the Frickley vs Stalybridge fa cup tie. Now Frickley was a mining town, Stalybridge took a firm but the miner's were out for blood once they realised Stalybridge had brought a firm. I knew a few lads who went, and on one coach full of lads, less than 20 made it back, the rest were in hospital lol. The old bill nowhere to be seen for obvious reasons. Also a lad I knew who died young decided to get revenge by smashing the window-screens of cars parked outside the ground, unfortunately all the cars he smashed up were in an area for away fans parking lol.
I got asked if i wanted to go on that trip but knowing who many of the towns nutters were i declined the offer. What upset the Frickley fans was seeing a homemade banner unfurled in the ground by some dimwit knobheads which read - 'Hang Arthur Scargill, Down With The Miners!'

The striking Miners on the local picket line were tipped off and they came mob handed and tooled up and gave the bridge lads a proper good hiding. Cuts stitches and broken bones, the lot.

I lived up ridge hill from 85 to 89
We used to go in the fox sometimes
I heard it became a bit of a City supporters pub mid 90's
and a coach load of mibs turned up on a derby day before the game
and attacked everyone inside,kids,old,young etc

my mate lives on Darnton road facing the hospital now.
The mibs were probably local reds i think who knew many blues who went in the Fox. I used to drink in there and Ridge Hill club where blues and reds drank quite happily together until Derby Day.

The town centre one particular Derby was like a warzone and several pubs got trashed. The police ordered town centre pubs to be closed for about 5 years after that day, iirc.

I got asked if i wanted to go on that trip but knowing who many of the towns nutters were i declined the offer. What upset the Frickley fans was seeing a homemade banner unfurled in the ground by some dimwit knobheads which read - 'Hang Arthur Scargill, Down With The Miners!'

The striking Miners on the local picket line were tipped off and they came mob handed and tooled up and gave the bridge lads a proper good hiding. Cuts stitches and broken bones, the lot.
A Bridge lad who went on the trip told me he was getting kicked and punched as he carried a lad with a broken leg across the pitch. Fair play to him, think they sought refuge down the tunnel it was that bad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.