Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

I didn't know it was canon.To be fair, there is a lot of canon material that would still be a reveal to most.
Actually, thinking back on it, this is the biggest problem with Disney Star Wars. To know a lot of this stuff, or fully understand the movies, you have to read books and comics. To me, at least, that is the sign of a poor movie.

Actually, thinking back on it, this is the biggest problem with Disney Star Wars. To know a lot of this stuff, or fully understand the movies, you have to read books and comics. To me, at least, that is the sign of a poor movie.

This is the way star wars has always worked. To me Disney are continuing to operate star wars as Lucas did. I know it sucks if you can't afford to buy the other stuff but it does enrich the story.

Not sure you have to. I know a fair bit of canon (not a lot but watched Rebels and Clone Wars plus I read a couple of the novels - not a lot, I know), outside of the average fan, but you can still appreciate the film's without that knowledge.

I'll hold fire on what Disney have done until ix.

Talking about canon and extending it to include theory, have you watched any of the Urban Acolyte videos on YouTube?

This is the way star wars has always worked. To me Disney are continuing to operate star wars as Lucas did. I know it sucks if you can't afford to buy the other stuff but it does enrich the story.

Well, he has, apparently, been consulted quite a bit for ix. Great storyteller but I hope he has had no input into the script. He's responsible for some horrendous dialogue.

Not sure you have to. I know a fair bit of canon (not a lot but watched Rebels and Clone Wars plus I read a couple of the novels - not a lot, I know), outside of the average fan, but you can still appreciate the film's without that knowledge.

I'll hold fire on what Disney have done until ix.

Talking about canon and extending it to include theory, have you watched any of the Urban Acolyte videos on YouTube?
Think I've watched a few, but I generally watch channels like Thor Skywalker.

Well, he has, apparently, been consulted quite a bit for ix. Great storyteller but I hope he has had no input into the script. He's responsible for some horrendous dialogue.
Obi Wan: "Anakin, the Chancellor is evil."

Anakin: "From my point of view the Jedi are evil."

Shakespearean.

I'm not sure. For example, the novelisation of The Last Jedi explains that Rey is as powerful as she is because she downloaded all of Kylo's training when he was reading her mind on Star Killer Base. With all the Mary Sue stuff about Rey, I think that revelation is quite a big one (and shit reasoning) to have hidden in a book.

I've now watched the entire Skywalker series in the space of about 10 days.

My first rookie mistake was thinking the episodes were numbered in the order they were released. So I watched the Phantom Menace thinking it was the first ever Star Wars film. I didn't look at the year it was released, so I spent the whole film thinking 'this seems a bit modern for a 1977 film'.

Anyway, I finished Episode 1, and then went back to the start and watched Episode 4 and continued to watch them all in theatrical release order.

I don't know what the general consensus is about the films, but I feel like the story never really reached the heights of the original trilogy. The prequels were terrible, but the sequels, although clearly better, also fall way short of the originals. Revenge of the Sith was probably better than any of the final trilogy though, so the prequels has that going for it. Force Awakens was pretty good, but it got progressively worse with each subsequent film and now I kind of wish I hadn't bothered with any of it.

4, 5, 6 were great.
3 and 7 were pretty decent.
8 and 9 were bang average.
1 and 2 were genuinely awful

I've now watched the entire Skywalker series in the space of about 10 days.

My first rookie mistake was thinking the episodes were numbered in the order they were released. So I watched the Phantom Menace thinking it was the first ever Star Wars film. I didn't look at the year it was released, so I spent the whole film thinking 'this seems a bit modern for a 1977 film'.

Anyway, I finished Episode 1, and then went back to the start and watched Episode 4 and continued to watch them all in theatrical release order.

I don't know what the general consensus is about the films, but I feel like the story never really reached the heights of the original trilogy. The prequels were terrible, but the sequels, although clearly better, also fall way short of the originals. Revenge of the Sith was probably better than any of the final trilogy though, so the prequels has that going for it. Force Awakens was pretty good, but it got progressively worse with each subsequent film and now I kind of wish I hadn't bothered with any of it.

4, 5, 6 were great.
3 and 7 were pretty decent.
8 and 9 were bang average.
1 and 2 were genuinely awful
All six of the new ones are shit. The only good one that felt anything like the originals is rogue one. That is very good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.