Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

As soon as Luke threw the lightsaber over his shoulder I knew this film was going to miss the mark and be quite forgettable.

This is the exact moment I knew they had missed the point, I couldn't believe it. Then 6 or 7 more pathetic joke attempts later and Carrie Fishers DREADFUL performance it ruined it for me. The prank call/on hold thing at the start was atrocious in any form of film, it made me feel awkward.

I liked it in parts and will watch again another 4-5 times as its Star Wars. It really isn't hard to get star wars right.

the new star wars films are like a fine wine and will need time to settle its the same with the first 3 films a lot of the stuff change like jabba the hutt and the effects a new market place is the base for the new films and like it or not that is the aim of making them the younger generation will grow up to love them

It's not even that long is it? R1 ends with Vader boarding Leia's ship, which is almost literally the first scene of ANH.
Not quite. End of R1 Vader enters the ship that Leia WAS on. She's already jettisoned on the smaller ship. Remember Vader standing on the empty docking bay at the very end? Between R1 and ANH Vaders ship must've caught up with Leias new ship then it goes into ANH where we see it being docked into Vaders battlecruiser or whatever it was. It was in this time between R1 and ANH that Leias message was put into r2d2

Edit....actually she put the plans into r2 when Vaders men were " tearing the ship apart". Neverthless im pretty sure she jumped ship at the end of r1

Last edited:
It's not even that long is it? R1 ends with Vader boarding Leia's ship, which is almost literally the first scene of ANH.

Yeah i'm not sure exactly but it wouldn't be days or weeks. The tonal shift is hard to take, all for rubbish fan service. There's room for Vader to go to town on people within star wars movies, maybe showing him grappling with what he's become, but that point in time was not ideal. Maybe in the 14 standalone films they'll push out in the next decade they can do it...

I think the beauty of the first trilogy is that concepts of the jedi and the force had such a great impact because they were used so sparingly. We had 3 jedi's and 2 sith that's it, and they weren't simply using the force at every conceivable moment, in fact there were very few times it was used. For that reason when they did it actually had an impact.

It will take a few viewings fellow Blues to see what RJ was doing in this film. You have to move away from the original storyline and that is what was being told, along with the theme of failure.

I left the cinema feeling really let down by it along with my 12 year old son who is into Star Wars and plays the Old Republic online game that revolves around the SW EU. The film cannot tap into those fans that need the franchise to follow the EU because that is not what they want to achieve and would not bring onboard new fans to the SW franchise.

The Snoke killing seemed like WTF but watching* the film back it opens up other avenues. Snokes backstory will be told but it wasnt relevant in TLJ because if Snoke comes out with this big storyline to Rey...she would basically just go ‘Who’. The story here us that Ren spots his opportunity to kill his master as he is pre-occupied concenrating on Rey - basically sticking to sith tradition that when the apprentice sees weakness he takes his masters place. Ren being characyer assasinated by Snoke prior to this scene is the build up to Rens thoughts towards Snoke.

Snokes line though that ‘he can never be betrayed’ is very strong because this obviously leans towards he has been betrayed before but was never truly killed - links to plagueis etc etc.

Watch it again and go into it open minded. Watched it about 4 times after seeing at the cinema and my mind was changed. There are lots of hidden items in the film that show that a backstory is needed and can be told but it also now allows RJ to go in a new direction with his trilogy when it starts filming

Snoke to return and go after Kylo. Rey saves Kylo, Kylo returns to light side of the force and teams with Rey to fight Snoke and the Knights of Ren. Kylo to either become good completely, or betray Rey at the last minute, Rey kills Kylo. Balance restored.

The Snoke killing seemed like WTF but watching* the film back it opens up other avenues.
My problem with it is that we're now going into the final act without a proper antagonist. Films like these need a threat against which the protagonists are struggling (original trilogy had Vader, and then stepped it up with the Emperor in the final act). Snoke was that threat because he was mysterious, seemed very powerful, etc. Now he's gone we're left with Kylo Ren, whom we already know is very fallible, quite weak and has some 'good' in him, and Hux, who went from being a slightly psychopathic Nazi in TFA to a slapstick moron in TLJ. I can't see where the threat will come from in Episode IX (although I wouldn't put it past them introducing yet another new character).

Snoke to return and go after Kylo. Rey saves Kylo, Kylo returns to light side of the force and teams with Rey to fight Snoke and the Knights of Ren. Kylo to either become good completely, or betray Rey at the last minute, Rey kills Kylo. Balance restored.

I'd hedge my bets on Snoke re-appearing, I'm mean, Luke can't be the only one to be able to project himself across the galaxy. And the Sith are built on deception, lies and influence - he got Ren to do exactly what he wanted......"strike your enemy down".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.