Starting to lose its soul ?

mcfc_paul said:
Scottyboi said:
Shit fans, rather we knocked the 3rd tiers off as they offer fuck all to the atmospere. Leaving with 15 minutes to go the sad *****. And jesus the amount of half n half scarves are crazy. Love citeh hate city fans.We are in a semi final and all people were arsed about was beating the traffic!

Definitely this. Can't be singularly pointed at city fans though. The state of modern football. Demographic has changed drastically in recent years.

I've had a season ticket for 20 years and my dad has had one every season for the past 45 years and we sit in colin bell level 3. What utterly shit fans we must be

wireblue said:
mcfc_paul said:
Scottyboi said:
Shit fans, rather we knocked the 3rd tiers off as they offer fuck all to the atmospere. Leaving with 15 minutes to go the sad *****. And jesus the amount of half n half scarves are crazy. Love citeh hate city fans.We are in a semi final and all people were arsed about was beating the traffic!

Definitely this. Can't be singularly pointed at city fans though. The state of modern football. Demographic has changed drastically in recent years.

I've had a season ticket for 20 years and my dad has had one every season for the past 45 years and we sit in colin bell level 3. What utterly shit fans we must be
:-)

Didsbury Dave said:
Scottyboi said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Lots of reasons for the lack of "occasion" yesterday, the main one being that in 1981a cup semi was a once a decade type thing. Now it's every season. Also, like it or not, the fa cup meant much more to fans back then.

Even considering those changes, and the gradual sanitisation of the grounds and the fans, if yesterday had been a night match replay against Everton the atmosphere would have been significantly different.

I am only 23 and i love the fa cup more than the league, the excitement of the draw and the large away fan allocation its class. Its disgusting how much this great cup has been devalued.
It's become devalued to the clubs, that's why that has filtered down to the fans. In 1981 winning the fa cup was only a small notch down from winning the league. Everyone got a full house for the third round every year. Since the advent of the premier league and the elevation of money as the god of football, the cup means less to chairmen, and hence to managers, and hence to players, and hence to fans. There are a whole lot more contributory factors but that's the main one. Even having the semi at wembley devalues the final.

It's still a good competition of course, but its like the cups in the European leagues now in terms of its importance. Blame money and the premier league itself for forming in the early 1990s. That changed everything.

UCL has not helped either.

Another way to look at it though is how much shit would there have been if we had lost and how pissed off would we all have felt?

I expected us to win through against Barnsley and it quickly became apparent that we would do so comfortably. I got very excited driving home to Oxfordshire after the Leeds game when Barnsley's name was pulled out and I will watch today's draw with keen interest. I stayed to the end yesterday, despite the long journey home.

For me, we'll never have a cup run like '81, when I went to every one of a very memorable set of games. The semi and final 2011 topped '81 though; not much to choose between the semi's and the two finals in '81 were better games but winning in 2011 after all the years of hurt was very special. I'll be hugely disappointed if we do not go on and win it again.

Sooner or later they need to bring back safe standing sections so that more affordable tickets are available and the atmosphere improves. If we then increase the stadium capacity the everybody should be happy!

Stop bleadin moaning and letting yourself be brainwashed by the mainstream media who think thinks are only 'right' when United are winning everything.

Money is in the game now so accept it.

Our club will up the prices because of success accept it or don't go.

It's not hard is it?

Ducado said:
MaineRoadBlue said:
Familiarity breeds contempt.

Also the City fans that attended the 81 Quarter Final Replay, probably were a more local bunch than today's supporters. Sadly people that have longer journeys will feel the need to beat the traffic.

I had a 2 hour drive back last night over a snowy penines. Against Reading at home I stayed until the 95th minute and the same journey took me 3 hours and 15 mins. That is a huge difference made worse if there are young children in the car too.

I would like to stay, but what I don't want are those extra few minutes watching to subsequently cause my wife and kids to say they don't fancy going anymore due to the time taken to get back.

Why would City fans then be more local?

The vast majority of fans still to this day live within an hour or two of the ground, I suspect it was not much different in the 80's, we are talking the 1980's not the 1880's

Like I said the result was a foregone conclusion, I know it's the FA cup but it was against a really poor team. Now lets see who we get in the Semis

Perhaps the fact that 32 years ago less people had cars and the general demographic of the people within the ground that evening was probably at least 95% male.

I appreciate we have always had fans at distance, but there is no doubting there are less local people going than ever and there are more families with children now attending. Certainly when I lived in Manchester and was attending by myself I would never leave early, however now with a wife and 2 young girls in tow plus a 120 mile car journey to drive priorities change.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.