State Pension Increases

Sunak spouting on about "We must protect pensioners from inflation", yet wasn't he the chancellor who reneged on the triple lock for 2022/23?
Since I retired, 10 years ago, the addition £1000 tax-free allowance for over 65's has gone, my entitlement to a free TV licence has gone, the higher increase index on the SERP'S element of my pension has gone, newer retirees receive a higher pension (and a greater annual increase) and, as stated, last year a broken pledge on the triple lock.
I receive too little to pay tax, but too much for pension credit, so no additional help with "Cost of living payments", just the £400 every one will receive (including my daughter & S.I.L on a combined salary of £98K) plus the £200 (£300 I think this year) pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance.
Next year, I could be paying 25% of my total income to the energy company.
Hurry up and die for fucks sake, don’t you know you are only supposed to work until you die, your not supposed to do anything else in this country.

Life is a con. They advise you to do the right thing, work hard, save for your future and retirement but give you fuck all if you do. Not only that but if your meagre private pension combined with your state one pushes you over the £12,750 tax threshold then they tax you. So any increases to deal with inflation gets eaten up by paying tax. How about raising the tax thresholds for pensioners to £18-20,000 a year? That's not a massive amount anyway. The people who've shirked their whole lives had the right idea. No stress of work and commuting, total freedom and help with paying all their bills. I was a mug, they were the clever ones.

Life is a con. They advise you to do the right thing, work hard, save for your future and retirement but give you fuck all if you do. Not only that but if your meagre private pension combined with your state one pushes you over the £12,750 tax threshold then they tax you. So any increases to deal with inflation gets eaten up by paying tax. How about raising the tax thresholds for pensioners to £18-20,000 a year? That's not a massive amount anyway. The people who've shirked their whole lives had the right idea. No stress of work and commuting, total freedom and help with paying all their bills. I was a mug, they were the clever ones.
@paulchapo I’m with you as a mug. Not looking forward to the winter. Pay all your working life and then carry on paying because you paid your ‘private’ pension.
Ah well we’ll be gone soon enough then they’ll understand that pensioners do contribute still.

@paulchapo I’m with you as a mug. Not looking forward to the winter. Pay all your working life and then carry on paying because you paid your ‘private’ pension.
Ah well we’ll be gone soon enough then they’ll understand that pensioners do contribute still.

I know people where my parents live who've never worked a day in their lives. They've always had two cars on their drive. One of their daughters got pregnant at 16 and got a house a few doors away from them. Very quickly she had five kids. She's never worked a single minute and is so lazy her parents cook her meals and take them around to her. Going to the pub and bingo never seems to be a problem. People will say, "Ahh but they'll only get the basic state pension" , but they'll get the pension credit and other benefits to compensate. My parents get jack shit.

I know people where my parents live who've never worked a day in their lives. They've always had two cars on their drive. One of their daughters got pregnant at 16 and got a house a few doors away from them. Very quickly she had five kids. She's never worked a single minute and is so lazy her parents cook her meals and take them around to her. Going to the pub and bingo never seems to be a problem. People will say, "Ahh but they'll only get the basic state pension" , but they'll get the pension credit and other benefits to compensate. My parents get jack shit.
To qualify for the merest state pension you need to have 35 years of NI contributions.
If you don’t have them you will receive pension credit.

To qualify for the merest state pension you need to have 35 years of NI contributions.
If you don’t have them you will receive pension credit.

Now 30 years.

You usually need a total of 30 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions or credits to get the full basic State Pension.

This means that for 30 years, one or more of the following applied to you:

you were working and paying National Insurance
you were getting National Insurance Credits, for example you were unemployed, sick, or a parent or carer
you were paying voluntary National Insurance contributions

The second paragraph is the main bit. If you were unemployed they paid your national insurance for you so you would still get the basic state pension.

If she has had 5 kids she will only get benefits for 2 of them if born after 2017. Pub and Bingo the pinnacle of life jesus christ.

Now 30 years.

You usually need a total of 30 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions or credits to get the full basic State Pension.

This means that for 30 years, one or more of the following applied to you:

you were working and paying National Insurance
you were getting National Insurance Credits, for example you were unemployed, sick, or a parent or carer
you were paying voluntary National Insurance contributions

The second paragraph is the main bit. If you were unemployed they paid your national insurance for you so you would still get the basic state pension.

Just checked mine.

• 16 years of full contributions
  • 35 years to contribute before 5 April 2057
  • 1 year when you did not contribute enough

Says I need another 18 years full contributions.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.