State Pension Increases

Agreed.

For example in Spain the tax people do not want a return if ones pension is less than about 23000 euros PA. dependant on it being the only pension one receives.
And they then spend that money anyway so they get it back, it’s fucking mental, don’t tax the state pension at all, if you have a private one and it’s over the personal allowance fair enough, but the state should be tax free. If we are all living longer it will get spent, weather on days out, holidays or your bloody care home, the bastards will get it back and it would relieve the pressure on those who only have the state pension.

Last edited:
Or sacrifice a portion of their income (no matter how small) during their working life in return for additional income during retirement.
This can be extremely minimal depending on how low your pay is during your 50 years graft. Or if you're homeless, single, single parent etc etc One size does not fit all.

Why knock skint OAPS?

Do you all go mugging pensioners at night? cunts

And they then spend that money anyway so they get it back, it’s fucking mental, don’t tax the state pension at all, if you have a private one and it’s over the personal allowance fair enough, but the state should be tax free. If we are all living longer it will get spent, weather on days out, holidays or your bloody care home, the bastards will get it back and it would relieve the pressure on those who only have the state pension.
The state pension would avoid tax anyway as its less than the threshold for the tax free allowance i.e. £12570 per yr or £242 per week. In what I originally said re NI it would be on the private part of the pension only.

But the question remains, without fully means testing the state pension or making those in their 30s work until 70+ to get the state pension, which is utterly ludicrous, what are the options ?

NI being levied beyond state retirement age would seem to me a lesser evil and easy to administrate, but I'm all ears if there is a better option, which is fair and equitable for all who have diligently paid NI throughout their careers.

The state pension would avoid tax anyway as its less than the threshold for the tax free allowance i.e. £12570 per yr or £242 per week. In what I originally said re NI it would be on the private part of the pension only.

But the question remains, without fully means testing the state pension or making those in their 30s work until 70+ to get the state pension, which is utterly ludicrous, what are the options ?

NI being levied beyond state retirement age would seem to me a lesser evil and easy to administrate, but I'm all ears if there is a better option, which is fair and equitable for all who have diligently paid NI throughout their careers.
It will only avoid tax if the threshold increases its currently frozen until 2026 so it’s getting up there now, who’s to say Labour don’t continue it. If you are working beyond state pension age it’s because you are either a workaholic if you are that desperate for cash you need to keep working, so you’ll have done almost 50 years and contributed to that as well beyond the 35 years , I think giving anyone that age a break from NI would be only right.

I wonder how many other countries manage to pay much higher pensions and not "means tested". Means testing is an awful way to treat your elderly population many of whom struggle to heat their homes and buy food. They have already "means tested" plenty of legacy benefits by moving them on to Universal Credit or making them claim Pension Credit. Where is all this money going to? Nearly 14 years of austerity and making savings yet the country is still broke? I'm not having it.
Many argue that a means-tested state pension in the UK would create incentives for people not to save for retirement, because doing so would reduce their state pension.

“There is the potential to create perverse incentives if the means test results in people effectively being punished for building up a private pension through loss of state entitlement,” Tom Selby, director of public policy at AJ Bell

Find another way to save money not by taking money off old people.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.