State Pension Increases

Whilst tempting I always find these country comparisons strange. No system is the same so it’s almost impossible or pointless to compare.

Let’s look at Spain as an example as they would appear to have a generous pension compared to UK, the UK state spends something like £107bn more on healthcare per year than the Spanish state - that’s the equivalent of an extra £700 in every pensioners pocket each month. We spend more on defence (£40bn - that’s another £275 each month for pensioners) and so on and so forth. But then you have to remember the Spanish system is based on how much you’ve contributed to the system - high earners get more, low earners get less (min £809 per month and maximum is £2560 per month).

Similar stories in Luxembourg, Italy, France etc where what you get out is based on what you put in. I like that our system pays the same, be you a paupers or a king (assuming you’ve made all your contributions).
Thanks for that post may I add to your Spanish comparison by looking at their tax system which I contribute to.

Spain is split into autonomous regions so income tax is paid roughly 50 percent to the State and 50 percent to each Autonomous Region.
I know Healthcare is paid and run via Region eg Andalucia.

Is it possible Pensions are the same or are even a mix State and Region?

Got my forecast , three yrs to wait £221.28 a week , not much is it really after working for so long , not much going on in the private pensions for me i think , will get all mine together and see what it all equates to , is it better to merge them into one pot ? Simplier to sort out come the time i guess ?

Rooting around HMRC I can see I have a COPE pension forecast as well as State and its £30.57 a week?

Fucked if I know what that is or where it’s come from?

Update for those in a similar position.

Just received a letter from Phoenix Life confirming I opted out in April 1988 and that my fund with Britannia with Profit is sat with £43790.10.

Incredible as its cash I literally had zero clue was mine and had forgotten about.

Everyone around my age, get online, check HMRC and see if you have a COPE pension and if it says you do then get looking.

Got my forecast , three yrs to wait £221.28 a week , not much is it really after working for so long , not much going on in the private pensions for me i think , will get all mine together and see what it all equates to , is it better to merge them into one pot ? Simplier to sort out come the time i guess ?

No its not ...... seek financial advice before you move any of it

I wonder how many other countries manage to pay much higher pensions and not "means tested". Means testing is an awful way to treat your elderly population many of whom struggle to heat their homes and buy food. They have already "means tested" plenty of legacy benefits by moving them on to Universal Credit or making them claim Pension Credit. Where is all this money going to? Nearly 14 years of austerity and making savings yet the country is still broke? I'm not having it.

Find another way to save money not by taking money off old people.
The country is broke, remember covid and the government throwing money around like confetti...

Update for those in a similar position.

Just received a letter from Phoenix Life confirming I opted out in April 1988 and that my fund with Britannia with Profit is sat with £43790.10.

Incredible as its cash I literally had zero clue was mine and had forgotten about.

Everyone around my age, get online, check HMRC and see if you have a COPE pension and if it says you do then get looking.

I did similar, opted out for about 2 years in the late 80's, find I have a pension starting at £4600 when I'm 65, had no idea it was worth anything like that, almost didn't bother tracking it down

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.