Stephen Irelands new position

Grand Master Ram Rod

It's going very well atm for us, won our last 5 games, not conceded in 4 including Barca and we're all buzzing about what's happening to our club and the season ahead but if I have one worry it's Ireland in this new defensive position, he's just not the same player as last year, he doesn't make the same runs as often or do those killer passes. If the teams doing well then fair enough, don't change it but I would like to see the best Ireland. If that means making Barry just play deeper or bringing in de Jong, I dunno, but I think an Ireland 08-09 with the team we've got atm would be amazing.

This isn't me moaning or out like that and I'm definitely not slagging Ireland off but I think it's a good topic to discuss.

Discuss...

I wouldn't say the "killer passes" have gone - set up Shaun for his goal, put Robinho clean through to score what sould have been a legitimate goal, also great pass to Petrov for his goal vs Barca.

Paul Bosvelt said:
I wouldn't say the "killer passes" have gone - set up Shaun for his goal, put Robinho clean through to score what sould have been a legitimate goal, also great pass to Petrov for his goal vs Barca.
Yeah fair enough, I was gonna say apart from the Barca game actually and I just think he used to do more but I'm probably wrong. I'm sure you can see my point though, he's not been the man of the match, always rated 9 or 10 player he was last season so far.

A bit early in the season to be making comparisons really, but I'd still play him every week in this form in this position. Obviously it's got something to do with accommodating SWP in a midfield 3, but he's still very effective and in terms of chances he has had he is well on course to at least equal last year's goal tally.

I cant see us sticking with the 4-3-3 with Tevez , Adebayor and Robi I think we may well see De Jong join in that midfield sooner rather than later to free up Ireland. Ireland is one of the best finishers we have in the team on form he is the man you know when the ball drops to him he is going to score. I think the Pompey game maybe the last with the 4-3-3. De Jong will be in the team for the Arsenal game at the expense of 1 of the strikers I think.

Okay you might have a point. But its all to do with the players with have available now - compared to last season

Depends which team Hughes picks. The way I see it last year towards end we had two dms , Ireland in front of them

with 1 main forward , Robinho on one side and swp on other

If you look at team now we have Barry and Tevez instead of two dms. Obviously Tevez is a forward type player so stevies

gotta stay back a bit more ! We are winning you can`t have your cake and eat it !

Last year, he stood out in the team, coupled with his improvement. Now, with better players, and our heightened expectations, he doesn't shine as much in the grand scheme, not to say he isn't doing an efficient job.

WHY CHANGE IT? what we have with barry SWP and ireland is a great engine room and they are intelligent enough to know when one goes one sits and vice versa. 3 games no goals conceded and winning, always summat to pick at though aint there

salfordblue-tony2 said:
Okay you might have a point. But its all to do with the players with have available now - compared to last season

Depends which team Hughes picks. The way I see it last year towards end we had two dms , Ireland in front of them

with 1 main forward , Robinho on one side and swp on other

If you look at team now we have Barry and Tevez instead of two dms. Obviously Tevez is a forward type player so stevies

gotta stay back a bit more ! We are winning you can`t have your cake and eat it !
Yeah fair enough, but I'm not sure we need 2 DM's anyway against the poorer teams, I think maybe Barry on his own could do that job like he does for England and let Stevie be more free. I'm not saying he shouldn't get back because he proved last year even in his advanced role that he was great at getting back and working hard too, I just think we'll see the best of him a bit further forward and if everyone works hard and helps each other out I think it might work.

ultimateharold said:
Last year, he stood out in the team, coupled with his improvement. Now, with better players, and our heightened expectations, he doesn't shine as much in the grand scheme, not to say he isn't doing an efficient job.
I'm not saying he isn't doing an efficient job, he hasn't been poor, I just think with him more advanced that we as a team and he himself could be even better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.